The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jayjax
Hey, iv been having the same problem here. Going for film and television but didn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere. What I've been thinking is would I rather have the 5 minute walk to an early lecture or do I mind getting a longer bus into town or a short trip to the main campus? Not being a morning person the choice seems pretty solid haha. Iv also been told by a friend who is currently at hes east that it isn't as quiet as it seems once you're in with all your flat mates.

Hope iv helped if only slightly haha.

Good luck with getting accepted :biggrin:

Hey! Everyone thinks Hes East is quiet because it is seperate from the main campus. It really isn't and please don't let yourself be haulled away by stereotypes.

The social aspect of Uni is what you make of it, not the college you are in. Every college has a great student committee who work tirelessly to ensure that you have the best opportunities ... in fact some of the biggest events in the social-academic year calander actually take place in hes east! *I know! Can you beleive it!*

Once you've moved in, you and your flatmates will have one hell of a time... and it isn't like you're far from west if there is something you'd like to do... the bus takes 2 minutes *and there is one every 7 minutes and its free* or you could walk... it takes about 15 minutes.

Plus, with Constantine college on hes east now the numbers on east have increased by 1/2... we're catching the west campus up ^_^. The quality of accommodation over on west isn't quite to the standard of east either but you'd be paying that same price (ie: Premium Standard in derwent with a large ratio of person to bath would cost you the same as a premium standard room in Constantine - which are the biggest rooms in college and have a 1:3 ratio to bath)...

At the end of the day... colleges on hes east know that the stereotype is hes east is quiet... which is why they normally put on the best events to combat it! Hope this helped.
(edited 9 years ago)
University of York
York
Thanks for the info guys still not drawn in as much I just hate the idea of it being in the middle of nowhere are they building anything new there for this year? When I went for my interview it consisted of accommodation a common room, washing room and a shop. Very dull, does anyone know of anyone who has stayed elsewhere from east campus and has had no problems attending lectures etc?
Reply 1162
Hi guys, I'm Angelo, an Italian student. I received an offer to study at the University of York and I need some advices from you.
I applied for a MSc (one year full-time) but I'm afraid I can't do the MSc in just one year. I mean, I studied at an Italian university and I don't know if I will be able to complete all the assessments and all the modules in less than 12 months.
I'm not afraid to study all day long, just to be clear, it's just because I'm afraid to do something wrong (with assessments, essays, terms) and then (because of the full-time and my inexperience) it will to be too late to repair the damage.

What do you think?

Thank you in advance. :smile:
Hey guys.

Good luck to all of you getting exam results today and find out if you're going to York.

Can't believe it's been 13 years since I found out I was going :biggrin:
Just received my unconditional for psychology, I am so happy!! Good luck to everyone!! :smile:
Reply 1165
Unconditional for psychology! Over the moon!
Original post by CallMeBatwoman
Just received my unconditional for psychology, I am so happy!! Good luck to everyone!! :smile:

Original post by kited4
Unconditional for psychology! Over the moon!

Have you seen the York and psychology connect pages?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect
Unconditional for Physics MSc! I am sooooooo relieved, time to sit back and relax (or maybe get very drunk) :P
Accepted for Maths/Physics BSc :smile: . Anyone know how/when they handle course transfers to the MPhys? I met the requirements for it and it says on their FAQ that they offer it automatically.
Reply 1169
Accepted for History! Well done to everybody for their results today! :biggrin:

Jamie
Accepted for Politics! Anyone else? Well done to everyone!
Original post by Mattbohun
Thanks for the info guys still not drawn in as much I just hate the idea of it being in the middle of nowhere are they building anything new there for this year? When I went for my interview it consisted of accommodation a common room, washing room and a shop. Very dull, does anyone know of anyone who has stayed elsewhere from east campus and has had no problems attending lectures etc?

I lived in Langwith when it was first built (Two years ago) and I can tell you that it certainly isn't dull. I've had people from other colleges say they wish they had chosen Langwith as everyone knows everyone and it has a great atmopshere. The travelling is not a problem, it's 5 minutes on a bus in the morning and you can wake up 30 minutes before a lecture and easily make it. I didn't consider the travel to lectures at all after the first week of first year.
Original post by Benny100
I lived in Langwith when it was first built (Two years ago) and I can tell you that it certainly isn't dull. I've had people from other colleges say they wish they had chosen Langwith as everyone knows everyone and it has a great atmopshere. The travelling is not a problem, it's 5 minutes on a bus in the morning and you can wake up 30 minutes before a lecture and easily make it. I didn't consider the travel to lectures at all after the first week of first year.

Sounds like its the place to go then. I've received my unconditional so I'll be applying for accommodation within the next few days and this is probably my best bet. Any sort of stuff they have going on throughout the year and what not?
Hi, i've got my offer from York and everything but i'm really confused about how to apply for accommodation, i've set up my Evision account and then clicked 'make/view accomodation application' and it says i have to wait for an invitation email! Im really unsure on when i get this email, can anyone help me because i'm stressing out big time! thanks
Original post by Jonny S
Hi, i've got my offer from York and everything but i'm really confused about how to apply for accommodation, i've set up my Evision account and then clicked 'make/view accomodation application' and it says i have to wait for an invitation email! Im really unsure on when i get this email, can anyone help me because i'm stressing out big time! thanks

Did you get a conditional offer this year? If you did then accommodation opens on the 18th if you firmed york and 19th if you put it as insurance.

All the dates are here: http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departments/support-and-admin/accommodation/newprospectivestudents/undergraduates/sepapp/
Reply 1175
Yes I received an email to update my York account then when that's done they send you an email on Monday 18th (firm choice) to apply for the accommodation. The emails are apparently sent out in random batches throughout the day. Hope mine's early! =) good luck

Becky
Is the university accommodation equipped with air conditioning/heater?
(edited 9 years ago)
Sounds like its the place to go then. I've received my unconditional so I'll be applying for accommodation within the next few days and this is probably my best bet. Any sort of stuff they have going on throughout the year and what not?

Normally every couple of weeks there is some sort of college event like bar crawls, club nights as well as a quiz on sundays before people go out. Normally stuff going on all the time though if you know the right people.
Original post by Benny100
Normally every couple of weeks there is some sort of college event like bar crawls, club nights as well as a quiz on sundays before people go out. Normally stuff going on all the time though if you know the right people.

Just to clarify, where exactly is Langwith situated? I can remember that there was goodricke college by the theatre film and tv department (of which is where I'm studying) but no Langwith?
Just to clarify, where exactly is Langwith situated? I can remember that there was goodricke college by the theatre film and tv department (of which is where I'm studying) but no Langwith?

http://www.york.ac.uk/about/maps/campus/#heslington-east

Should be clear from that map.

Quick Reply

Latest