The Student Room Group

Computer Science Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bewrn
You would need to email each university to get their opinion on it.

I emailed King's and this was their response:

Spoiler

I emailed Warwick and Birmingham but didn't get a reply.
Reply 21
Original post by PrinceyJ
If your grades aren't cashed in then surely they can't take AS results into account anyway?That's really good! What predictions did you get, and how come you applied so early?
You have to put you grades on your UCAS.
Reply 22
Original post by Dropafly

No you don't, there's a pending option.
Reply 23
Original post by Dropafly

Sometimes AS-levels aren't certificated for certain reasons, in which case they can just be put as pending on UCAS.
That's really good! What predictions did you get, and how come you applied so early?

Thanks! I applied early because I was completely sure what I wanted to do, and just wanted to have the application finished.

And I'm not entirely sure what I was predicted. One of my teachers (half-jokingly) told me 4 A*s, but I doubt I'll get that, it may actually have been some combination of A and A*.
Reply 25
Original post by WowSuchStudent
Thanks! I applied early because I was completely sure what I wanted to do, and just wanted to have the application finished.

And I'm not entirely sure what I was predicted. One of my teachers (half-jokingly) told me 4 A*s, but I doubt I'll get that, it may actually have been some combination of A and A*.

How come you didn't want to gun for Cambridge with those predictions?
How come you didn't want to gun for Cambridge with those predictions?

I've done very little outside of class. No music, no sport, no Duke of Ed, no EPQ, no FSMQ, no volunteer work etc. Just a bit of work experience. I don't think I could get into Oxbridge.

I don't think Oxbridge is the kind of place for me anyway. I'm not a fan of short terms and insane workloads. I visited Bristol on the open day and loved it. Personally, I prefer the course at Bristol too.
Reply 27
I've done very little outside of class. No music, no sport, no Duke of Ed, no EPQ, no FSMQ, no volunteer work etc. Just a bit of work experience. I don't think I could get into Oxbridge.

I don't think Oxbridge is the kind of place for me anyway. I'm not a fan of short terms and insane workloads. I visited Bristol on the open day and loved it. Personally, I prefer the course at Bristol too.

I can see why it could turn some people off. Didn't have chance to check out Bristol cos I was on D of E when both open days were on!
In order of preference:
Imperial - A*AA
York - AAA
Warwick - AAA
Birmingham - Offer not received yet, probably AAA, but hoping for an AAB (or maybe even one of these unconditional they've started dishing out :wink:)
Nottingham - AAB

Was going to apply for Cambridge but went to an open day and was told not to bother with my 84% UMS average and 2A* GCSEs :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Monotypical
In order of preference:
Imperial - A*AA
York - AAA
Warwick - AAA
Birmingham - Offer not received yet, probably AAA, but hoping for an AAB (or maybe even one of these unconditional they've started dishing out :wink:)
Nottingham - AAB

Was going to apply for Cambridge but went to an open day and was told not to bother with my 84% UMS average and 2A* GCSEs :frown:

How do Birmingham decide whether to give an AAA offer or an AAB offer to someone?

Who told you not to bother with Cambridge?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Here's my details:

GCSES: 7A*s, 4As
AS Level: 4As (including Maths & Further Maths, no physics though)

Got some pretty good stuff for personal statement that's related to computer science

Thinking about applying to Cambridge, not sure if it's worth it though (89.3% UMS average, heard they only really want 93% or higher)

Imperial (A*AA)
UCL (A*AA)
KCL (AAB)
Royal Holloway (BBB)

Not sure if I should swap Holloway out for an AAA choice, as I think I've got a good chance of an offer from at least KCL.

Any thoughts?
Reply 31
Also, should I do an MEng or Bsc? Not really sure what the advantages/disadvantages of either are.

Is MEng more competitive?
Reply 32
Original post by outrexian
Also, should I do an MEng or Bsc? Not really sure what the advantages/disadvantages of either are.

Is MEng more competitive?

Depends on the university, at some of my choices (Warwick for example) you can change to the MEng after your second year if you do well enough.

I've applied for Bachelors since the grades required are typically lower and can always change to the Masters if needed, or I could even go somewhere else to do my Masters. So I have a bit of flexibility there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I'm applying to Newcastle, York, Manchester, Cardiff, Northumbria (Order of preference) I haven't had much programming experience (only a little bit of java) but I've done quite a lot of maths related things.. I hope that will be enough!
Reply 34
Original post by chanteyd
I'm applying to Newcastle, York, Manchester, Cardiff, Northumbria (Order of preference) I haven't had much programming experience (only a little bit of java) but I've done quite a lot of maths related things.. I hope that will be enough!

Even Cambridge say that they don't require programming experience, so you will be okay in that respect.
Reply 35
I guess most/all of you are guys, but can anyone say if they've seen many other girls at open days for CS..? I mean I guess there'll be a few but at the majority of open days, I've seen 0 or 1 other girls!
Reply 36
HI , pls. some help!!!
i applied for cambridge,edinburgh and looking my other 3 options.
thinking of Bristol, Manchester ( i was between bristol ,manchester ,warwick and i took out warwick as the place is really too boring to live, they say...)
and
i am between glasgow/nottingham/exeter as my safest choice .which of these three is academicaly higher?
i am an IB student predicted with 39 out of 42!!!
pls answer as soon as you can, because i want to finish my application!!!

:smile: THANKS A LOT!!!
Reply 37
In order of preference, I'm applying to:

1) Bristol
2) Edinburgh
3) Glasgow
4) Queen's Belfast
5) Teesside

I've got offers from Glasgow (AAB) and Edinburgh (AAA) so far. Really nervous won't get an offer from Bristol :s-smilie:

Good luck everyone with your applications :smile:
?

hi, when did you apply????
I applied for edinburgh the 15th of october and nothing yet!!!!

they usually answer after they have received all application late january!!!

what are your predicted grades?

good luck :smile:
Original post by panayiotas
?

hi, when did you apply????
I applied for edinburgh the 15th of october and nothing yet!!!!

they usually answer after they have received all application late january!!!

what are your predicted grades?

good luck :smile:

I applied really early, on the 30th of September, and received an offer from Edinburgh about 5 days later. Maybe they sent me an offer early because they thought I was an Oxbridge applicant? I don't really know.

I'm doing A levels and my predicted grades are some combination of A and A*, I'm not 100% sure.
Reply 39
I applied 2 weeks ago, though no offers yet.
1. Oxford
2. UCL
3. Warwick
4. Durham
5. KCL
AS Subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing
AS Grades: AAAA
A2 Subjects: Maths, Further Maths(AS+A2), Physics, Chemistry
A2 Predictions: A(Already got it), A*, A, A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending