The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Personally, I'd confront him about it, preferably in front of other people. Then, if he persisted, I'd definitely go to the police.
Original post by Bassetts
You have two solutions:

1) Wear more modest clothing which doesn't reveal certain parts of your body when you're standing/sitting

2) Keep wearing a skirt like this, but accept you will get looked at by creepy/ugly guys

Most girls pick 2) because they want to get looked at by hot guys and they like to compete with other girls.

What, you mean in the same way that girls should wear polo necks and jogging bottoms, so they don't get raped? Sorry to bring up the old "it's not the woman's fault for being raped" argument - I am aware of its limitations - but really, it is quite applicable here.

The guy is a creep, for want of a better word. Whilst the short skirt may have allowed him to do what he did, it wasn't the cause, and nor should it be the remedy.
Reply 22
I'd echo most of what everyone else has adviced and also just tell you to wear something that reveals less, reducing the chances of anyone looking up your skirt.
Reply 23
I've noticed this happen to me once. I moved so he couldn't look, then glared at him.

It wasn't anywhere near as bad as your situation though. I just caught someone having a look and to be fair, we all do that. Getting a mirror though!? That's disgusting. You probably should have been more direct/confrontational about it - it's the only thing that would ever put a creep like that off!
Reply 24
Thank you to everyone who posted a genuine reply. I might leave it in this instance but certainly tell the university he does it again, although I feel slightly violated.I get the point, from other replies that maybe I'm reacting a bit over the top, but it was really embarrassing and privacy invading, and not the sort of normal behaviour that one expects. Considering the fact that there are many creeps out there who do harass women in a sexual way, I thought that maybe this sort of thing had probably happened to other people at some point in the past too, no? I know it has happened to my friend about a year ago, some random lad in town pulled her skirt right up. But, I feel embarrassed to talk about it to friends in person, hence the first post on here.
(edited 10 years ago)
This video has some good advice on how to deal with people in situations like this.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Wear underwear next time?
I'd just get away ASAP :erm:
Reply 28
I wonder why it grinds peoples gears as soon as the 'covering up' option is mentioned :erm:
Reply 29
Original post by lilmissshady
I wonder why it grinds peoples gears as soon as the 'covering up' option is mentioned :erm:
I'm not sure. I've got a lot of negative reputation already for no apparent reason. Thankfully I have also got some positive reputation.

The truth is if you wear a skirt, you are likely going to get some looks from guys, including if you're sitting down and you can see your underwear. Some guys do it subtly and others do it crudely. You have to put up with those looks because at the end of the day, they are not breaking any law or doing any direct harm to you.
Original post by pandabird
Call him out and say something along the lines of 'wtf are you doing you vile pervert'. Because that's exactly what he is, a slimy perv. I'd feel repulsed if that was me, and the thought that he is able to get away with his behaviour is awful

Tell your friends about him and next time you see him tell him outright.

Saying that, it's easier said than done. So many women are harassed on public transport for example, and they don't say anything. Because it makes you feel so uncomfortable and creeped out.

i have a question: i get poked in the back, stroked on the hand etc by girls on the tube to get my attention or whatever (obviously i dont mind cuz im a boy) would a girl find that (touching of non sexual areas) creepy and think they are being harassed, perhaps in a mild way? i dont plan on doing that, im just curious.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Harrie Lyons
i have a question: i get poked in the back, stroked on the hand etc by girls on the tube to get my attention or whatever (obviously i dont mind cuz im a boy) would a girl find that (touching of non sexual areas) creepy and think they are being harassed, perhaps in a mild way? i dont plan on doing that, im just curious.
Depends on how hot you are, if they are in a good/bad mood, what kind of day they have had, if they are single or taken, what 'time of the month' they are at etc.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
What are you, a feminist?

Go back to the 1940s. :rolleyes:

I really hope you're joking but judging by the other posts you've made in this thread.... **** off.
Reply 33
Original post by Harrie Lyons

Hmm I think I might find it a bit creepy, because it is invading your personal space. Touching is only appropriate if done by people you know really, even if they are in non-sexual areas. Saying that I wouldn't find a soft poke in the back that creepy but someone stroking my hand I would not like!

Anyway, wow those girls have some guts. :tongue:

The truth is if you wear a skirt, you are likely going to get some looks from guys, including if you're sitting down and you can see your underwear. Some guys do it subtly and others do it crudely. You have to put up with those looks because at the end of the day, they are not breaking any law or doing any direct harm to you.

do me a ****ing lemon. I like looking at girls' legs and the treat of an unintended pantie-flash as much as anyone. But that isn't what happened here, she didn't just embarrasedly realise that her knickers were showing to anyone looking in her direction...

Anyone taking upskirt photographs or using a mirror to see up a girl's skirt is certainly breaking a law and is behaving appallingly. If you think this is only a case of something a woman should "put up with" as consequence of wearing a knee-length skirt to university, I have to suppose there's no woman you much care for. Because if someone were surreptitously photographing my sister or partner like that I'd be incensed.
You have 3 options.

1) Go to the police, as what he is doing/did is illegal
2) Expose him (ie shout something)
3) Don't wear skirts (Before people liken this to the "cover up/rape" argument, if she doesn't want to say anything or go to the police, then realistically this is the only remaining option. This doesn't make what the guy is doing acceptable though, and it's not her fault).
Original post by cambio wechsel
Anyone taking upskirt photographs or using a mirror to see up a girl's skirt is certainly breaking a law

Out of interest, which law is that? I only ask because the newspapers actually have a midget going around taking photos up women's skirts as they get into taxis and the papers publish those photos...
Original post by Doc.Daneeka
Out of interest, which law is that? I only ask because the newspapers actually have a midget going around taking photos up women's skirts as they get into taxis and the papers publish those photos...

A very quick Google suggests the provisions for voyeurism under the 2003 sexual offences act.

I can only suppose the newspaper workaround is that these are claimed as paparazzi-type shots in which the panties are as if incidentally shown in the photgraph rather than photographs taken of specifically the panties.

But I'm no lawyer and someone might know better than me.
Reply 38
This reminds me of the time when I was on the long 25 bus to Stratford, for a bit of shopping. My sister and I were sitting down patiently like any other normal citizen. Then out of nowhere, this fair Pakistani woman, who looked rather overweight, standing near the doors, screamed to the dark Indian/Bangladeshi man next to her "STOP LOOKING AT MY CHEST YOU PERVE! I MEAN IT! DON'T EVEN LOOK AT ME, YOU FILTHY, DISGUSTING MAN!" and the Asian man was speechless. He was muttering "I..I..I didn't, you're lying. I wasn't..." Everyone was staring while the woman was shouting all the odds, whilst trying to cover her chest with her arms. When the next stop arrived, the Asian man just ran for it. It was hilarious.
I'm not sure. I've got a lot of negative reputation already for no apparent reason. Thankfully I have also got some positive reputation.

Yeah, no, you're full of crap. Someone who bends down with a mirror or a phone to look up someone's skirt is committing the crime of voyeurism.

Latest

Trending

Trending