The Student Room Group

Is reading cool, or embarrassing?

Scroll to see replies

Reading is reading. When I was younger, I'd get through like, nine to ten books in a week (not an exaggeration, seriously). I really loved it. Nowadays, I don't read as much, because of university commitments, etc. but I try to read as much as possible! I think kids have always associated reading with being a "nerd" or a "geek", which is a big shame, really.
I enjoy reading though I don't do it as often as I'd like to. I kind of think reading is coming back, people seem to think it's "cool" to read Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings etc.
Reply 22
Reading is cool. I like reading novels and educational novels (E.g. David Canter's books). What is embarrassing is reading things like 50 shades of grey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Reading is essential. It's the main way people learn anything. If this worrying trend continues, in the future we will have generations of intellectually and imaginatively impoverished people. I fear that, with the rise of accessible timewasters like iPods etc., it is inevitable. It's paramount that we try to stop this though.
Reply 24
I'm 16 and I read as much as I can, which normally means I have about 3 books on the go at once. I think I just grew up in a book loving family, both my parents read a lot, and my sister does quite a bit too. Books were always my thing though, they're the main thing I get at christmas and my bedroom is full of them.
Reply 25
Books are amazing! Why should it be embarrassing?! :s-smilie:
This is everything that is wrong with society
Reply 27
But every literate girl loved Jaqueline Wilson :tongue:
I'm embarrassed that I don't read enough.
Reading Tom Clancy is cool.
Original post by Milostar
So apparently, reading among the young (8-11) is declining. 20% of young people are embarrassed to be caught with a book :eek: and 75% don't read outside school.

Here's the source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24387523

So, is reading a dying art? Do you read, and do your younger brothers and sisters?

It's hard to believe that there were 20% of 8-11s who would have even been embarrassed to be seen with a Harry Potter.
I've always wanted to get into reading but I find it hard to get a buzz from it like I can from my other interests. I do envy the people that enjoy it though.
I think being an illiterate adult would be more embarrassing than reading books as a teenager.

Not that it's embarrassing anyway (50 Shades excluded).
Wtf why would reading be embarrassing?

And who the hell cares if it's "cool" or not?

I read because I enjoy it. Not to make an impression on anyone else.
Reply 34
I actually got complimented for reading a book by someone on the train, only because everyone else was on their phones or tablets. So it's not embarrassing as such but it does make you stand out a lot more than it used to purely I think because of the outbreak of smartphones, tablets, laptops etc. Would always rather read a book anyway :smile:
I read when I can cause school work keeps me very occupied - and my sister who is 10 reads at least 2 books a week.
Reply 36
I think that's sad. How can you be embarrassed for reading. I'd think the child is mature and eager to learn. Isn't that what school's about?
cool.
Bookish guys are cool.... Seem so academic
Reply 39
I don't read a lot, maybe five books a year and all of those will be non-fiction. I respect people who read more than that though.

Quick Reply

Latest