The Student Room Group

Am I evaluating correctly for psychology?

Hi so for my assignment I have to evaluate case studies based on intelligence and one of them is genetics but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly as I have only had two lessons with my teacher as she has been off for personal reasons.I have to use validity and reliability a lot but I don't know if I'm using it correctly.

the case study : "IN 1990 Hill et al tested children between the ages of 6 and 15, dividing them into two groups ( one was a bright group the average iQ) the bright group had an IQ of 136 the other one had an IQ of 106 "

So, I've put some notes down about one of the case studies:
A wide age group of children but how many children were tested? - may affect validity?
IQ TEST - Lab experiment however,what was it actually relevant to intelligence? - may not be valid
some children may work better outside of lab experiments so it may be affecting the external validity.

I've also put down for this that, because the age group is so wide the older children may have more knowledge as they've more than likely learnt more (would that affect reliability or validity or anything for that matter?)

I'm really trying to get the jist of doing this but I think I'm failing miserably!

I'm really asking for peoples help please please pleaseeeeee
Original post by SophieLaw_
Hi so for my assignment I have to evaluate case studies based on intelligence and one of them is genetics but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly as I have only had two lessons with my teacher as she has been off for personal reasons.I have to use validity and reliability a lot but I don't know if I'm using it correctly.

the case study : "IN 1990 Hill et al tested children between the ages of 6 and 15, dividing them into two groups ( one was a bright group the average iQ) the bright group had an IQ of 136 the other one had an IQ of 106 "

A wide age group of children but how many children were tested? - may affect validity?
IQ TEST - Lab experiment however,what was it actually relevant to intelligence? - may not be valid
some children may work better outside of lab experiments so it may be affecting the external validity.

I've also put down for this that, because the age group is so wide the older children may have more knowledge as they've more than likely learnt more (would that affect reliability or validity or anything for that matter?)

I'm really trying to get the jist of doing this but I think I'm failing miserably!

What was the researcher aiming to find out? The only information you've given is that children of different ages were split into two groups (high IQ and average IQ). I don't know what the aim or findings are...
Reply 2
Original post by lauraaaaa
What was the researcher aiming to find out? The only information you've given is that children of different ages were split into two groups (high IQ and average IQ). I don't know what the aim or findings are...

oops ok.
after that the researchers examined each child's chromosome 6 and discovered that a specific of the gene IGFR2 (insulin-like growth factor 2 receptor) occurred as twice as many in the children with the high IQ group as in the average IQ versus 16%. They concluded that it is this form of the IGF2R gene (called allele 5), that contributes to intelligence.
Reply 3

Is this A level psychology? You could point out that the IQ test itself is flawed as people can improve IQ tests by available practice tests and they doesn't necessarily test 'intelligence' as intelligence comes in many forms not just puzzles. Hope this helps!
oops ok.
after that the researchers examined each child's chromosome 6 and discovered that a specific of the gene IGFR2 (insulin-like growth factor 2 receptor) occurred as twice as many in the children with the high IQ group as in the average IQ versus 16%. They concluded that it is this form of the IGF2R gene (called allele 5), that contributes to intelligence.

So more of those in the high IQ group had this gene so they concluded that the gene determines intelligence? Right then...

I don't do this topic but I do psychology a level so I may be of some help.

-difference in age gap means that naturally those that are older are likely to have a higher IQ as they have had more chance to learn more things and so there's a validity issue as not all variables are controlled (extraneous variables are present)
-lab experiment and so there could be issues with validity because the older children could guess the aim of the experiment and so they may act differently e.g deliberately answer questions incorrectly
However, because it is a lab experiment and, most of the variables have been controlled, it means that the experiment is reliable as it could be repeated to find similar results due to the controlling of variables.
-doesn't state the sample size but because it is a lab experiment, it is likely to be a smaller sample and so the results aren't very reliable nor are they likely to be representative of the general population and so the conclusions made can't really be generalised.

These points need expanding a little and some terminology adding but these are just my simple ideas (I'm doing my own homework so can't spend too long here).
I don't think you can say the IQ test isn't a valid measure of intelligence. I think you could argue that there is more to intelligence than IQ tests, but if you're looking at genetic influences on IQ-intelligence, then its valid to use an IQ test!
Reply 6
Yes you could say that IQ tests are more of a measure of ones ability in certain tasks. A 15 year old would have better understanding of the questions. Assuming all did the same test.
Its lab it was probably a volunteer sample - People would have signed up for it knowing what they were doing. So ould be demand characteristics. If anyone is looking for children aged x to y to do an IQ test its pretty obvious they're looking for a correlation there.
Social sensitive - I don't have more of this growth receptor I'm not intelligent.
The sample - male to female ratio not stated. Could be gender bias.
Its correlational - Just because they have more of the receptor doesn't prove that its the cause of the intelligence
Genetic basis - Deterministic - If you have the hgih levels you'll be more intelligent
Reductionist - Narrowed down intelligence to one factor - they simplified it. Environment would play a role - If raised to have stimulating activities they'd be more intelligent

Quick Reply

Latest