The Student Room Group

Ukraine's associated membership in EU

The question is truly equivocal, imo. On the one hand it would be quite good if we signed the agreement with Kiev and secured another sales market which would push EU economy towards the exit from stagnation. Besides we would obtain a rather strong leverage over Yanukovich in questions of gas supply... Ukraine would no longer be able to simply turn off the gas tap. On the other hand there's no respect for human rights in that country. Absolutely innocent Julia Timoshenko is still behind bars. Political opponents are constantly oppressed. Free Media is almost nonexistent, etc.
To tell the truth I'm inclined to agree with Lithuanians on that matter. They insist that the agreement be signed only after Yanukovich has released Timoshenko. That would be a true manifestation of Ukraine's readiness for change and for acceptance of European values.

Scroll to see replies

The biggest hurdle is that Russia is making a stand in the Ukraine to halt further expansion of western influence east. The sizeable Russian speaking segment of the population helps in that regard.

Simply put Russia isn't going to allow it. Which explains half the issues and conduct in and by the Ukrainians.
Reply 2
Original post by Nigel Graham
The question is truly equivocal, imo. On the one hand it would be quite good if we signed the agreement with Kiev and secured another sales market which would push EU economy towards the exit from stagnation. Besides we would obtain a rather strong leverage over Yanukovich in questions of gas supply... Ukraine would no longer be able to simply turn off the gas tap. On the other hand there's no respect for human rights in that country. Absolutely innocent Julia Timoshenko is still behind bars. Political opponents are constantly oppressed. Free Media is almost nonexistent, etc.
To tell the truth I'm inclined to agree with Lithuanians on that matter. They insist that the agreement be signed only after Yanukovich has released Timoshenko. That would be a true manifestation of Ukraine's readiness for change and for acceptance of European values.

Russia controls the gas flow, Ukraine has almost nothing to do with it (it only levies a transit fee which could potentially be reduced, but this would likely lead to implementation of additional fees by the Russian side).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leave Ukraine and Belarus to Russia - there's nothing to gain from inviting them into the Euro club.
Reply 4
The dividing line between Russians, Belarussians and Ukrainians has always been very fine indeed, and the dialects of eastern Ukraine are closer to southern Russian than they are to western Ukrainian. If the government wants to join the EU, and Russia objects, I doubt that the east will take it very well.
Reply 5
Original post by Stalin
Leave Ukraine and Belarus to Russia - there's nothing to gain from inviting them into the Euro club.

There is actually a lot to gain, you fail to understand the economic incentives developed european countries have in this case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Nigel Graham
Besides we would obtain a rather strong leverage over Yanukovich in questions of gas supply... Ukraine would no longer be able to simply turn off the gas tap.

It isn't Ukraine that turns off the tap, it's Russia.

I'm quite surprised that the Russian-Ukrainians are letting Ukraine drift towards the EU, I'd thought that they would be up in arms as they want to remain close to Russia. Russia isn't happy and are threatening Ukraine so perhaps, Russia will win? :tongue:

I don't understand why the EU would want a country that's still incredibly corrupt, useless in everything and has currency controls, letting Ukraine in would be a bad move, and incredibly bad one at that.
Reply 7
Original post by tehFrance

I don't understand why the EU would want a country that's still incredibly corrupt, useless in everything and has currency controls, letting Ukraine in would be a bad move, and incredibly bad one at that.

Nobody's talking about full EU membership, merely a free trade area, and, yes, there is a huge economic incentive for EU members in that.

Plus Russia is about to turn into an economic cesspool, look no further than its 2014-2016 budget.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by CEKTOP
There is actually a lot to gain, you fail to understand the economic incentives developed european countries have in this case.

Well indeed Stalin makes a mistake believing that EU will gain nothing from Ukraine's joining even in that restricted manner. There're quite a lot of advantages but... are they all worth trading off the political principles? Should we keep our eyes shut at all the violations of human rights in that country? I think it would be rather short-sighted! Just think of it... what happens if we treat one country like that? I tell you what. Other countries would expect the same treatment. What will the EU turn into then? Into a cesspit!
So I agree with the OP. We should make Yanukovich release Timoshenko and only after that take any consideration of signing the agreement with Kiev. And Lithuania is acting very correctly and coherently on that matter...
Reply 9
Ukraine's association with the EU may be the biggest political mistake of the European Union for last 10 years. Look at Greece, Portugal, Spain. Do you think the life in these countries is scary? It's not so. The situation in Ukraine is a great deal worse! Ukrainian reality seems to be another part of the "Mad Max" movie. I don't think Europe is able to set this country on its legs with impunity.
CEKTOP
x

Original post by Rembrandtos
Well indeed Stalin makes a mistake believing that EU will gain nothing from Ukraine's joining even in that restricted manner. There're quite a lot of advantages but... are they all worth trading off the political principles? Should we keep our eyes shut at all the violations of human rights in that country? I think it would be rather short-sighted! Just think of it... what happens if we treat one country like that? I tell you what. Other countries would expect the same treatment. What will the EU turn into then? Into a cesspit!
So I agree with the OP. We should make Yanukovich release Timoshenko and only after that take any consideration of signing the agreement with Kiev. And Lithuania is acting very correctly and coherently on that matter...

Enlighten me, chaps. What does Europe gain from absorbing Ukraine into the Union?

Apart from the influx of a great deal of racist and homophobic principles, a backward economy, desperate infrastructure, and a dodgy 'democracy', I fail to see what it offers the continent aside from dent to Putin's foreign policy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by CEKTOP
Russia controls the gas flow, Ukraine has almost nothing to do with it (it only levies a transit fee which could potentially be reduced, but this would likely lead to implementation of additional fees by the Russian side).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Though in theory, all of the gas coming from Russia to the West flows through Ukraine and they can simply turn that off... but then the Russians would sent it through another way instead...
Reply 12
Original post by Stalin
Enlighten me, chaps. What does Europe gain from absorbing Ukraine into the Union?

Apart from the influx of a great deal of racist and homophobic principles, a backward economy, desperate infrastructure, and a dodgy 'democracy', I fail to see what it offers the continent aside from dent to Putin's foreign policy.

I agree. For the EU there's nothing to gain from Ukraine.

Except maybe an influx of fit Ukrainian women maybe? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by datpiff
I agree. For the EU there's nothing to gain from Ukraine.

You are right. Ukraine can be just a supplier of cheap whores and workers to the EU. However we have to put on notice that these whores' children will be the citizens of our countries. Do we need such "citizens" with their barbarian mentality? I think, no. Ukrainians, of course, say they are totally unlike Russian cavemen but it isn't true. I've been to Ukraine for several times and I tell you the bare truth: boozing, idleness and grubbiness are the main ingredients of Ukrainian mentality.
Reply 14
Original post by Grunttt
You are right. Ukraine can be just a supplier of cheap whores and workers to the EU. However we have to put on notice that these whores' children will be the citizens of our countries. Do we need such "citizens" with their barbarian mentality? I think, no. Ukrainians, of course, say they are totally unlike Russian cavemen but it isn't true. I've been to Ukraine for several times and I tell you the bare truth: boozing, idleness and grubbiness are the main ingredients of Ukrainian mentality.

That's some deep hate of Ukranians you have. Surely saying everyone in one country is the same (drunk, idle and grubby) is pretty racist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff

They can and already are coming here with ease, the EU won't make it that much easier than it already is for them. You're just in the wrong area.
Original post by Grunttt

WTF :lolwut: you clearly lack any interaction with Ukrainians as you'd know this isn't true, likewise for your comments about Russians.
I think there are probably things to gain from brining Ukraine in to the EU, I don't have any specific data or personal experience of Ukraine so couldn't be specific but greater cooperation between nations can only be good (and pulling Ukraine away from Russian influence could be considered in the interest of the UK and other western states if you sign up to them being the big bad guy of international politics).

As for their chequered record regarding human rights etc. I think the best way to affect change in the Ukraine would be through tighter integration, if the government can show that they are addressing the issues they have then the EU should be providing support for that rather than categorically blocking entry for the foreseeable future.
Original post by mojojojo101
I think there are probably things to gain from brining Ukraine in to the EU, I don't have any specific data or personal experience of Ukraine so couldn't be specific but greater cooperation between nations can only be good (and pulling Ukraine away from Russian influence could be considered in the interest of the UK and other western states if you sign up to them being the big bad guy of international politics). As for their chequered record regarding human rights etc. I think the best way to affect change in the Ukraine would be through tighter integration, if the government can show that they are addressing the issues they have then the EU should be providing support for that rather than categorically blocking entry for the foreseeable future.
That's what I'm talking about! The Ukrainian government has to show they are not neglecting the human rights. I don't think we should believe their word on it - they haven't got any credit of trust. The release of Timoshenko will be a very suitable manifestation of their readiness for change. We have to be much firmer with countries like Ukraine - they understand only the language of force.
Original post by Rembrandtos
That's what I'm talking about! The Ukrainian government has to show they are not neglecting the human rights. I don't think we should believe their word on it - they haven't got any credit of trust. The release of Timoshenko will be a very suitable manifestation of their readiness for change. We have to be much firmer with countries like Ukraine - they understand only the language of force.

I agree the release of Timoshenko would be a good indication of their willingness to change, though they do admittedly nee to go much further than that eventually. I do, however, honestly believe we are in a more powerful position to effect such change by increasing democratic ties between Kiev an Brussels (as well as member states), a simple situation where Ukraine gains the benefits of the EU slowly as it rectifies it's human rights record would to me be an acceptable compromise.

I honestly don't think being 'firm' and giving a flat out no response would benefit anyone in the long run.,
Reply 19
While I'm a big fan of of EU's existence I have to say that including a country who's politicians beat each other up in parliament would be comical.

The best thing for Ukraine and the EU is to keep to their current agreement and focus on improving their internal structures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending