The Student Room Group

Laptop Or Desktop For Uni?

I am currently torn between getting a laptop or a desktop for uni whilst i stay in my accomodation.

Im expecting to run with the lappy toppy for the duration of the uni course (3 years). BUT i cant decide right now to go for a desktop or a laptop?

Im a keen gamer :wink: Meaning i like to play quite a fair bit so would need a dedicated graphics card (preferably in the 630m range or Radeon equivalent. so FAR i have found a £475 Acer Aspire 5755G which pretty much is spot on but its sold out everywhere i looked :frown: a LOt of pepole suggest with that kinda money i should just round up to £500 and build my own extreme gaming rig (which is entirely possibly as i have done so before)

BUT this bring portability issues.. Year 1 obviously not since i wont be doing THAT much lecture work :wink: but Year 2 and 3 i will probably be needing that laptop for quick note summary and/or research so im not too sure right now.

Cant decide right now. And can anyone give me similar specs for that kinda price?

Im looking for a 4gb Ram Lap with a I3 processor with ATLEAST a Nvidia 630m or Radeon equivalent and screensize should prolly be 15.6 . Any ideas?

Or of course give me any pros and cons to desktop at a uni accomodation and wether you have ever seen someone do it as it would feel a bit weird with a tower in my accomodation?
Reply 1
bumpety bump?
:bump:
Reply 2
I have both. If you can afford it, then get both. I would go for the laptop but don't expect great performance for a laptop graphics chip unless you spend £800+. The main reason I say this is because of portability and that when assignments are due in you would very lucky to find a space in the university library. You could also use the money you save from getting a laptop by purchasing a cheap printer, believe me, these are godsend.

Quick Reply

Latest