The Student Room Group

strong EVERYTHING

Been lifting about a year and a half but no where near consistently, it is time to really step it up and get the physique and numbers that I want. I am also currently injured so this will also document my recovery.

PRs (all x5)

Deads - 100kg
Bench - 50kg
Squat - 80kg
F Squat - 77kg

As my lower back/hips/glutes are causing me trouble I am mainly doing upper body atm. Seeing a new physio on Monday so I hope that I can get a better grip on my injury and return to form. Nutrition wise I am cutting so strength may fluctuate accordingly.

GOALS (end of year)

1. Be able to lift using my lower body without pain (kinda crucial)

2. 68kg bench

3. definition in my delts

4. Attend the gym 5 times a week minimum (3 str days, 2 cardio focused)

***UPDATE***

see post #19 for starting pics, see post #288 for first set of progress pics

In terms of goals, these are my new goals (end of 2014) as first alluded to in post #306 - - the following is an abridged version

GOALS

- Bench 60kg x5
- Deadlift 115kg x5
- Front Squat 80kg x5

- visible arm muscles (especially delts)
- achieve dat ass
- Get on that underarmour time

If in doubt - Lyle McDonald.

Believe.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amskyr
Been lifting about a year and a half but no where near consistently, it is time to really step it up and get the physique and numbers that I want. I am also currently injured so this will also document my recovery.

PRs (all x5)

Deads - 100kg
Bench - 50kg
Squat - 80kg
F Squat - 77kg

As my lower back/hips/glutes are causing me trouble I am mainly doing upper body atm. Seeing a new physio on Monday so I hope that I can get a better grip on my injury and return to form. Nutrition wise I am cutting so strength may fluctuate accordingly.

GOALS (end of year)

1. Be able to lift using my lower body without pain (kinda crucial)

2. 68kg bench

3. definition in my delts

4. Attend the gym 5 times a week minimum (3 str days, 2 cardio focused)

You have a very high FS compared to BS!
Reply 2
Original post by AreebWithaHat
You have a very high FS compared to BS!

Yeah thats mainly because I dont like back squatting so I only really trained it for a short while. I put a lot more effort/work/time into my FS so it kind of looks artificially high! Love FS though so much easier to get ATG, easier to engage core, less stress on back, more fluid movement... love it!

Tonights session

Bench

Bar x20
40 x3
47 x3
50 x3
40 x15

DB Shoulder Press

12 x11
12 x8
12 x8

Incline DB Press

10 x10
10 x10
10 x10

Lat Pulldown

35 x10
50 x5 ds to 45 x5
40 x10

((Dont know what was going on with my lat pulldown but as my working set is normally 50x10 but I was exhausted))

As I was super short on time so I did come reverse narrow grip pulldowns as I was at the lat machine - dont know if there is a name for this exercise? Anyways did 30x10 (2).

Average session, didnt have a lot of time as the gym was closing so very fast workout. Happy with bench progression but will have to pluck up courage to ask for a spot or probs wont be able to progress.
Reply 3
Training 08/10/2013

Bench

20 x12
40 x5
45 x3
50 x3
32.5 x20 (15 sec rest)
32.5 x8 (15 sec rest)
32.5 x8

Lat Pull Down

40 x10
50 x8
50 x7
45 x10 (dropset)
40 x8

Shoulder Press

12 x10
12 x7
12 x7 (dropset)
8 x10

Incline DB Bench

8 x12
8 x12

Seated Bicep curls

8 x8
8 x8

Stretching - 45 minutes

Wasn't really in the mood for lifting today so went a little mental with bench volume which I think weakened the rest of my workout. I think being injured makes you think more deeply about training and I how you can take for granted being pain free and healthy. I think I need to incorporate one of the softer sides of training - stretching. Today and yesterday I did 45 minutes of stretching specifically so I can do the splits. Going to stretch everyday - it feels so good! I have always been rather flexible but now its time to focus on that goal.

I feel really positive about getting back to my best with my lower body lifts thanks to the physio. What he said was eye opening and really made sense to me. I was a bit disappointed that I didnt get cracked, massaged or shoved back into place (lol) but he said the nature or my injury didnt require it. Deep tissue massage is the singularly most painful yet also pleasurable experience - just have to get out my lacrosse balls instead. Going back in two weeks to see how things

In dear diary news I still have not seen my gym oneitis for the past two weeks- :frown:
Reply 4
Holy chit!

77kg front squat?! Is that with proper form? If so that's really quite impressive...
Reply 5
Original post by Rugby234
Holy chit!

77kg front squat?! Is that with proper form? If so that's really quite impressive...

Yeah, not lifted anything near that weight for an age though thanks to injuring my lower back. Everyone has a lift that comes easier to them then all the others I think mine is the front squat! I dont think its that great tbh, my training partner at uni had a 100kg back squat - she is 5ft 2 and very petite... I cri evrytim.
Reply 6
Original post by Amskyr
Yeah, not lifted anything near that weight for an age though thanks to injuring my lower back. Everyone has a lift that comes easier to them then all the others I think mine is the front squat! I dont think its that great tbh, my training partner at uni had a 100kg back squat - she is 5ft 2 and very petite... I cri evrytim.

Even so, that's a good weight!

As for your friend, just put the higher back squat number down to her height...:wink:, that is assuming you're a few inches taller.

Also do you lift for any sport?
Reply 7
Even so, that's a good weight!

As for your friend, just put the higher back squat number down to her height...:wink:, that is assuming you're a few inches taller.

Also do you lift for any sport?

Thanks! Yeah I used to keep telling myself it was just her elite leverages lol! No I just lift for the sake of lifting! Trying to transition out of my strength training mentalilty and mix it up with more speedwork/hypertrophy stuff. I want to look more athletic and sporty... even thought I dont currently play any sports lol. I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you lift for rugby?
Reply 8
Ha! Being tall(er) has it's disadvantages! I feel my bench has always been weak because it takes a minute for the bar to hit my chest...

Ah nice, it's always good to change things up abit, I usually switch every few months between strength/hypertrophy stuff. Do you do much in the way of cardio? Sprints, Circuits etc.

Well, I used to play a lot, but unfortunately not anymore, too many injuries and liked the idea of not looking completely deformed in my old age...!
Reply 9
Yeah, change is good, only thing is that since I am cutting I know that really I should just be looking to maintain strength and rep ranges rather than endless sets/new routines. Its all about making sure my diet is on point rather than obliterating myself in the gym. Still cant resist changing things up though!

For cardio I love the bike so I have two cardio focused days, I use these workouts I found on this cycling website. They each have a different focus like endurance, hill climbing, increasing your cadence/rhythm, sprints/speed. So its a mix of sprint of interval training and low intensity I guess. I would like to have a real challenge though, thinking about maybe training for a triathalon.... I hate running though. I have just graduated and I am in the process of applying for jobs/further education so I certainly have the time train for it!

Ah yeah I just saw your thread - strong lifting - will post an in.gif!
Original post by Amskyr
Training 08/10/2013

Bench

20 x12
40 x5
45 x3
50 x3
32.5 x20 (15 sec rest)
32.5 x8 (15 sec rest)
32.5 x8

Lat Pull Down

40 x10
50 x8
50 x7
45 x10 (dropset)
40 x8

Shoulder Press

12 x10
12 x7
12 x7 (dropset)
8 x10

Incline DB Bench

8 x12
8 x12

Seated Bicep curls

8 x8
8 x8

Stretching - 45 minutes

Wasn't really in the mood for lifting today so went a little mental with bench volume which I think weakened the rest of my workout. I think being injured makes you think more deeply about training and I how you can take for granted being pain free and healthy. I think I need to incorporate one of the softer sides of training - stretching. Today and yesterday I did 45 minutes of stretching specifically so I can do the splits. Going to stretch everyday - it feels so good! I have always been rather flexible but now its time to focus on that goal.

I feel really positive about getting back to my best with my lower body lifts thanks to the physio. What he said was eye opening and really made sense to me. I was a bit disappointed that I didnt get cracked, massaged or shoved back into place (lol) but he said the nature or my injury didnt require it. Deep tissue massage is the singularly most painful yet also pleasurable experience - just have to get out my lacrosse balls instead. Going back in two weeks to see how things

In dear diary news I still have not seen my gym oneitis for the past two weeks- :frown:

are you sloaney pony?

your bench is very good, 50 for a triple is solid.
Reply 11
Original post by AreebWithaHat
are you sloaney pony?

your bench is very good, 50 for a triple is solid.

what/who is sloaney pony? Im middle class and not fond of horses so thats me out lol.

Always looked on my bench as being weak so thank you! Really need a spotter though, there have been many a time in my life when Ive been benching and my whole life has flashed before me. It feels so light going down and then before you know it its time to press it up and I am fighting for my life. I am rather shy when it comes to asking people for spots though - have to choose between failing my bench or my pride!
Original post by Amskyr
what/who is sloaney pony? Im middle class and not fond of horses so thats me out lol.

Always looked on my bench as being weak so thank you! Really need a spotter though, there have been many a time in my life when Ive been benching and my whole life has flashed before me. It feels so light going down and then before you know it its time to press it up and I am fighting for my life. I am rather shy when it comes to asking people for spots though - have to choose between failing my bench or my pride!

You said oneitis so I assumed you misc. She was a female miscer who got banned so I thought you might be her reincarnated.

You could always do the roll of shame if you fail :wink:
Original post by Amskyr

The other thing that I find about a spot is a lot of them pull it up to early and it ruins the lift especially when you are going for a big weight.

Great numbers by the way. Especially front squat.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Dont actively misc but do lurk there - much love for the misc, although my kind arent welcome there really. MS paint threads always deliver. Done the roll of shame once in my life - never again.

@Doriangrayism that is bad but I think what is worse is when they un rack the weight for you and then dont give you any warning about when they are going to let go. You might be prepared physically to bench but as soon as someone just loads a lot of weight on to you youve got that "**** this is heavy" mentality. Thanks for your kind words as well!
Reply 15
Haha, I'm on the misc and I agree that the women there have a pretty hard time, or they just get whiteknighted hard.

My most glorious failure has to be when I was box squatting. Lifting alone in a huge gym, hit the box and realise I'm not going anywhere, proceed to sit there for literally a minute with the bar on my back until I finally manage to get up. Felt like a complete dickhead...

And I'll stop spamming your thread now!
Reply 16
Haha, I'm on the misc and I agree that the women there have a pretty hard time, or they just get whiteknighted hard.

My most glorious failure has to be when I was box squatting. Lifting alone in a huge gym, hit the box and realise I'm not going anywhere, proceed to sit there for literally a minute with the bar on my back until I finally manage to get up. Felt like a complete dickhead...

And I'll stop spamming your thread now!

Thats an understatement! The female miscers that do make it become notorious - do not want. However the main reason I dont post there is that I know people from my gym are active miscers - I like my privacy!

I have had a few failures in the gym but the worst was when I was doing military press and then decided it would be a good idea to do lunges. Im bad at unilateral work so as the gym was empty I thought why not. I pressed the bar up and then behind my back I did a set of lunges only to find I couldnt press the bar back up again due to fatigue from MP. I was on a platform, no rack so my only option was to kneel on floor and roll it down my back onto the floor with my arms bent backwards. At this point a fellow female lifter comes in sees what im doing, our eyes meet in the mirror and she walks away lol! dw I will spam your thread too!

Tonights workout

Cardio - Bike 50 min
Stretching/rolling - 40 min

Still loving the stretching felt really good since I was nice and warm from cardio.

In dear diary news I saw my oneitis! Yessss winning @ lyfe.
Reply 17
Workout 10/10/2013

Was meant to train legs but all the platforms/racks were busy had queues I decided to do upper body... all the benches were full!! Therefore, I started with..

Seated DB Shoulder Press

12 x12 (PR lol)
12 x10
12 x7 (not a lot of rest)

DB Rows

16 x12
20 x8
20 x10

Incline DB Press

10 x12
10 x13

Bench

20 x13
40 x6
45 x3
40 x10

Lat Pulldown

35 x10
45 x5
40 x10

Reverse close grip lat pull down

30 x15
30 x15

Stretching - 40 minutes

Not a good workout, lat pulls, bench and db rows were way below what I normally do. Only thing was shoulder press felt really light but I guess thats because I was fresh! Should increase the weight but its a jump to 14 kg, may be a bit much. Again this was a very high tempo workout hardly any rest, stretching was good!
Reply 18
Where I am vs where I want to be

Spoiler

I am cutting so this will be my base I guess. Nervous about posting these but it will keep me motivated to change as well as keeping me honest. Will update with pics 6 weeks from now...
You still look pretty good tbh, I'm sure after your cut you will be pretty close to looking like your target. Keep in mind some of those girls are spray-tanned, under impeccable lighting etc.

Quick Reply

Latest