The Student Room Group

What are My Chances With UCL Medicine

Hello Guys :wavey:
I want to apply to UCL for medicine, and on their PDF entry requirements,

At the moment, I have achieved 4 A* and 5 A at GCSE
Achieved aaab in as (maths, chemistry, economics and biology)
Predicted AAA for maths, chemistry and biology
Have work experience at a dentist, 2 GP's, Volunteer for a homeless charity, and going to a care home for elderly citizens.
I've been told that I have good PS and a wide range of work experience
I have not refereed to the work experience in the dentist in my PS

So, what are my chances. I am worried that my b in AS Biology would let me down, as on the UCL entry requirements PDF file, the said that "A strong background in both Chemistry and Biology is necessary to ensure that students can cope with the
science content of our programme; this is why we require both subjects as full A-levels."

Can I ask weather this means that you should have Chemistry and Biology at A2 or need to have achieved an a in both at AS.

Also, what are my chances at of an offer when applying there? thanks a lot guys! +Rep for any helpful responses, Thanks again in advance. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Your GCSEs are good, but might put you down a little bit. You've done your UKCAT right? Assuming you got good in that and do well in your BMAT I'd say go for it. Academically, you are not the best applicant, a very good, but not the best. As long as you're not hindering your chances of getting into medicine anywhere else by applying to UCL instead of another uni that you'd really want to go to.

They mean you need them to full A levels, so you're required to take them as A2s, having those A2 bio and chem when applying isn't necessary.
Original post by JackTheNerd
Your GCSEs are good, but might put you down a little bit. You've done your UKCAT right? Assuming you got good in that and do well in your BMAT I'd say go for it. Academically, you are not the best applicant, a very good, but not the best. As long as you're not hindering your chances of getting into medicine anywhere else by applying to UCL instead of another uni that you'd really want to go to.

They mean you need them to full A levels, so you're required to take them as A2s, having those A2 bio and chem when applying isn't necessary.

Hello, UCL uses the BMAT, not UKCAT, so whay does the UKCAT have any relevance?
And what do you mean by this "As long as you're not hindering your chances of getting into medicine anywhere else by applying to UCL instead of another uni that you'd really want to go to."

Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Hello, UCL uses the BMAT, not UKCAT, so whay does the UKCAT have any relevance?
And what do you mean by this "As long as you're not hindering your chances of getting into medicine anywhere else by applying to UCL instead of another uni that you'd really want to go to."

UKCAT is another test used by a lot of medical schools, if UCL don't ask for it, it's irrelevant.

Let's say, you're applying to Oxford, Imperial, Durham and hull york, pretty competitve universities. Hull york is considerably less competitive, so if you were to apply to UCL instead of there you'd be affecting your chances of getting into medicine by applying to UCL, instead of somewhere less competitive where you'd have a better chance.
Bump!
Bump!

If you do well in the BMAT you have a decent chance. The reason others mentioned UKCAT is because if you have a high score it would be 'safer' to go for UKCAT heavy unis!! If you have applied to your strengths for your other choices I see no reason why you shouldn't apply to UCL!! Good luck with BMAT
Original post by Dr. Django
If you do well in the BMAT you have a decent chance. The reason others mentioned UKCAT is because if you have a high score it would be 'safer' to go for UKCAT heavy unis!! If you have applied to your strengths for your other choices I see no reason why you shouldn't apply to UCL!! Good luck with BMAT

Hello, I had a 622.5 average, with 460 in the VR, QR 620, AR 680 and DA 720 section, so I am planning to apply to BMAT unis and no UKCAT and BMAT unis too. And advice?

And thanks for the reply :smile:
Hello, I had a 622.5 average, with 460 in the VR, QR 620, AR 680 and DA 720 section, so I am planning to apply to BMAT unis and no UKCAT and BMAT unis too. And advice?

And thanks for the reply :smile:

Ok, your UKCAT score is around the 'average-just below average' kind of area.

I agree that BMAT's unis should defo be considered, I'd say 1 maybe 2 MAXIMUM (but of course it's up to you!)

Others to consider: Bristol (particularly if your ps is good), BSMS only use UKCAT in 'tiebreaker' situations(I think), Liverpool and Lancaster too, and Keele (again only in borderline cases I think!)

From your stats I would be considering UCL/Imperial for BMAT options (looks like you prefer UCL)

and then 2/3 from the others; Bristol is 80% PS so it's a bit subjective but if your PS is decent it is worth a shot. The others you'd have to research a bit more as I'm unsure of their policies as I personally am going for all UKCAT unis!!
Ok, your UKCAT score is around the 'average-just below average' kind of area.

I agree that BMAT's unis should defo be considered, I'd say 1 maybe 2 MAXIMUM (but of course it's up to you!)

Others to consider: Bristol (particularly if your ps is good), BSMS only use UKCAT in 'tiebreaker' situations(I think), Liverpool and Lancaster too, and Keele (again only in borderline cases I think!)

From your stats I would be considering UCL/Imperial for BMAT options (looks like you prefer UCL)

and then 2/3 from the others; Bristol is 80% PS so it's a bit subjective but if your PS is decent it is worth a shot. The others you'd have to research a bit more as I'm unsure of their policies as I personally am going for all UKCAT unis!!

Hi, as a matter a fact, I was considering applying to Imperial, UCL, Bristol, maybe Liverpool. But the 6 year course at ICL is off-putting me very, very slightly. But I think I would be better suited to ICL.
But Liverpool is a bit far for me, (live in London). So I might consider BSMS - but I am worried that since competition is so high, that I would be disadvantage if I was to encounter a tie breaker situation.
Any advice. Thanks again :smile:
Hi, as a matter a fact, I was considering applying to Imperial, UCL, Bristol, maybe Liverpool. But the 6 year course at ICL is off-putting me very, very slightly. But I think I would be better suited to ICL.
But Liverpool is a bit far for me, (live in London). So I might consider BSMS - but I am worried that since competition is so high, that I would be disadvantage if I was to encounter a tie breaker situation.
Any advice. Thanks again :smile:

Isn't UCL 6 years too?? Those would be good choices, and obviously the distance issue is for you to decide personally (my choices are 3,4,6 and 8 hour drives away :tongue:)! If you're down to these 5 I would weigh up the pros and cons of Liverpool and BSMS (if the other 3 are set) and then just apply to the one that appeals the most. Liverpool isn't exceptionally far away from London anyway!
Isn't UCL 6 years too?? Those would be good choices, and obviously the distance issue is for you to decide personally (my choices are 3,4,6 and 8 hour drives away :tongue:)! If you're down to these 5 I would weigh up the pros and cons of Liverpool and BSMS (if the other 3 are set) and then just apply to the one that appeals the most. Liverpool isn't exceptionally far away from London anyway!

Hello, I think it might be 6 years, http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees/ubmmedsing01, but accoring to this, I get the impression it is 5 Years. I just a quick look at keel, and it seems good too. Any advice? Thanks :biggrin:

Are you applying for medicine too?
Hello, I think it might be 6 years, http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees/ubmmedsing01, but accoring to this, I get the impression it is 5 Years. I just a quick look at keel, and it seems good too. Any advice? Thanks :biggrin:

They are both 6 years. I am really not too familiar with their admissions policies so I can't give accurate advice, just research their admissions policies and ask around :smile: I personally would only put 1 BMAT but that's because I started preparing for it (I was daydreaming about applying to oxford) and realised it was rather difficult!!

Anyway, you're almost there now!! You're down to Keele, Liverpool, BSMS, Bristol, UCL and Imperial. Now all you need to decide is how many BMAT's you're going for, and then look at Keele, Liverpool, BSMS and decide which course you like best! For example, I believe (again not 100% :tongue:) that Liverpool is pretty heavy on PBL so that's something you'd need to think about!!

I am indeed :biggrin: After much deliberation I decided on Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds, Leicester! I was thinking of doing BMAT for either Imperial/Oxford as I previously mentioned, but felt it was taking up a lot of time and I liked the other places just as much!
They are both 6 years. I am really not too familiar with their admissions policies so I can't give accurate advice, just research their admissions policies and ask around :smile: I personally would only put 1 BMAT but that's because I started preparing for it (I was daydreaming about applying to oxford) and realised it was rather difficult!!

Anyway, you're almost there now!! You're down to Keele, Liverpool, BSMS, Bristol, UCL and Imperial. Now all you need to decide is how many BMAT's you're going for, and then look at Keele, Liverpool, BSMS and decide which course you like best! For example, I believe (again not 100% :tongue:) that Liverpool is pretty heavy on PBL so that's something you'd need to think about!!

I am indeed :biggrin: After much deliberation I decided on Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds, Leicester! I was thinking of doing BMAT for either Imperial/Oxford as I previously mentioned, but felt it was taking up a lot of time and I liked the other places just as much!

How did you do in your UKCAT? You must of done very well to be able to apply to Newcastle!
How did you do in your UKCAT? You must of done very well to be able to apply to Newcastle!

792.5 :biggrin:
792.5 :biggrin:

Sweet!
What are your GCSE like and A levels?
Anyone else!
Reply 16
I am applying to UCL
Original post by Jai Paul
I am applying to UCL

Nice. What are your credentials like?
Reply 18
Nice. What are your credentials like?

11A*
4 As at AS level

I guess it doesn't matter that much for UCL though. BMAT is their main thing
Reply 19

Medicine is 6 years at UCL, or 5 years if you did another degree beforehand in a science subject.

I'm applying to UCL. It's without a doubt one of the best unis for medicine and the area of London it's in is beautiful. Just got to get started with the BMAT preparation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending