The Student Room Group

Flatmates

Right, so I am an international student and all my flatmates are British. I don't have any problems with that though cause they are all friendly people. Its just that I have barely been here 2 weeks and its taking me time to adjust to the culture differences and stuff. The first night I moved into the flat there was a party going on and tbh it freaked me out, I just think that they might have been a bit more considerate. Also, all of them have really bonded well with each other, going out together regularly and stuff. I did go out once but considering that I am not much into drinking and clubbing I didn't really have much fun. Considering that it takes me time to open up to new people is not helping my case either. A flatmate of mine had her recently and they all planned a night out but didn't invite me, so that hurt a bit. I had to include myself in their plans. Also, some of their habits do annoy me like when they come back at 2 am and start making loud noises or playing really loud music. I am cordial with them, small talk when I see them like asking them how their day was. But when they are all in the kitchen together and/or have friends over it makes it really awkward for me to go in the kitchen. Most of their conversation revolves around topics that I have no clue about so can't really participate much.

My question is, should I make more of an effort with them or try to find similar minded people? Also, should I get my flatmate a present even though I really don't know her?
Reply 1
Its difficult adjusting to a whole new country and then making friends etc. Maybe you should make an effort with your flatmates for a little while longer and see how they react and if they treat you any differently. You should also find like minded people because once people have their friendship groups set, its difficult for them to let in newbies (in this case you). Personally, I don't think you should get her a present, especially as you don't really know her. If you think it will help build a relationship or something then go for it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by moonziggy
Its difficult adjusting to a whole new country and then making friends etc. Maybe you should make an effort with your flatmates for a little while longer and see how they react and if they treat you any differently. You should also find like minded people because once people have their friendship groups set, its difficult for them to let in newbies (in this case you). Personally, I don't think you should get her a present, especially as you don't really know her. If you think it will help build a relationship or something then go for it :smile:

Yeah I am trying to make an effort with them but it does get tough. At least I have a cordial relationship with them so it won't make living with them hell. Thanks for your advice! :smile: Didn't bother with the gift as I barely have enough money to spend on myself at the present.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending