The Student Room Group

Predict my A Level grades? Please?

my average GCSE point score is 53.1 (according to a calculator on a website so idk if it's 100% accurate)

in my GCSEs I got

A* in: Spanish, English literature & Art

A in: English language, history, geography, maths, chemistry & RE(short course)

B in: Biology and physics

I'm doing A Levels in English language, English literature, Spanish and history

what grades would you predict at AS or A Level?
My sixth form has an ALIS system- it takes into account your GCSES as a whole. So I got 4A*s, 3As 2C's, 1 B and 1 D at GCSE. All my predicted grades were BBBB.

I'd say A/A* depending on how strict your sixthform/college is.
Reply 2
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
my average GCSE point score is 53.1 (according to a calculator on a website so idk if it's 100% accurate)

in my GCSEs I got

They *say* that A levels are two times as hard as GCSE's therefore your predicted grades should be two levels lower so C in English lang, B in lit, C history, and Spanish I have no idea. However this is literally a rule of thumb kind of thing I actually did better in my A-Levels than GCSE's so take it with a pinch of salt. You really won't be able to know until you have done the exam because A Levels are so much more complex to GCSE's.
I got similar to you, slightly higher but similar.... I got AAAAC at AS Level, even though my targets were all A's
Reply 4
This is almost impossible through scientific methods(i.e statistics and numbers). The jump from GCSE to A-level is massive and it gets MUCH harder at a level, especially history and english language is completely something different from what you have done at GCSE. But I can tell you, considering your GCSE grades, you seem to be a hardworking student. Now you need to prepare to work even harder.
In addition, do some research before taking english literature as this is hardly even useful. You don't need it at all if you want to do english Literature at university. Only in case you want to do linguistics will you need it.It is not a very useful subject and the greatest focus is on phonetics. I didn't have sufficient advice before I did my A-level subject choice and i regret it to date. Be very careful about what you choose. I would take maths if I was going to do humanities because it is easily the most respected A-level and it shows them that you don't have a talent just for Humanities but also for sciences. Hope this helps.

in my GCSEs I got

I'll be frank here, you cannot predict crap with GCSEs for what you'll get at A-levels. You'll see this once you start. I came into A-levels with A*s at GCSE and ended up doing really **** at AS-level. My academic problem was entirely based on the fact that I didn't want to come to terms with the fact that I was no longer smart enough to not have to study. So during my A2 year I worked and worked, honestly, I'd never struggled so much before, and ended up turning my DDDE into A*A*Aa, now I'm applying for Medicine.

So dont sit there and predict what you'll get. Once you start at A-levels consider yourself to be on the same level as everyone in your class despite what you got at GCSEs, and just keep up with everything and work hard! A-levels is NOT A JOKE.
Original post by arminb
This is almost impossible through scientific methods(i.e statistics and numbers). The jump from GCSE to A-level is massive and it gets MUCH harder at a level, especially history and english language is completely something different from what you have done at GCSE. But I can tell you, considering your GCSE grades, you seem to be a hardworking student. Now you need to prepare to work even harder.
In addition, do some research before taking english literature as this is hardly even useful. You don't need it at all if you want to do english Literature at university. Only in case you want to do linguistics will you need it.It is not a very useful subject and the greatest focus is on phonetics. I didn't have sufficient advice before I did my A-level subject choice and i regret it to date. Be very careful about what you choose. I would take maths if I was going to do humanities because it is easily the most respected A-level and it shows them that you don't have a talent just for Humanities but also for sciences. Hope this helps.

Don't you mean English language? English literature is analysing novels and poetry...English language is phonetics and the structure of language and linguistics, and I think that's what I want to do at uni:smile:
Original post by nukethemaly
I'll be frank here, you cannot predict crap with GCSEs for what you'll get at A-levels. You'll see this once you start. I came into A-levels with A*s at GCSE and ended up doing really **** at AS-level. My academic problem was entirely based on the fact that I didn't want to come to terms with the fact that I was no longer smart enough to not have to study. So during my A2 year I worked and worked, honestly, I'd never struggled so much before, and ended up turning my DDDE into A*A*Aa, now I'm applying for Medicine.

So dont sit there and predict what you'll get. Once you start at A-levels consider yourself to be on the same level as everyone in your class despite what you got at GCSEs, and just keep up with everything and work hard! A-levels is NOT A JOKE.

I have started them, I'm 5 weeks into the courses and I've already done more work so far than I did for all of my GCSEs! (I didn't work at all for those...oops) so I'm definitely putting the work in:smile: and well done for turning your grades completely around! they're super good...*jealousy*:smile:
Reply 8
Don't you mean English language? English literature is analysing novels and poetry...English language is phonetics and the structure of language and linguistics, and I think that's what I want to do at uni:smile:

do you want to English literature at university? Or linguistics?
Original post by arminb
do you want to English literature at university? Or linguistics?

I want to do English Language & Linguistics, not English Literature :smile:
Probably all As, possibly a B in history because I think that was one of the ones that a lot of people were predicted Bs at my school (so it was considered highly when using the equation for working out targets)
There's no real precise way of predicting grades without knowing a lot about you. In this case, the most accurate prediction is your own prediction (as long as you understand the differences between A-level and GCSE).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I want to do English Language & Linguistics, not English Literature :smile:

Then you will need english lang. wise choice:colone::colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 13
If you want to know your predicted grades, your best off with asking your teachers - not some random strangers on the student room

Quick Reply

Latest