The Student Room Group

Miley Cyrus mocks mental illness

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiss
That being said, Miley is really getting on my nerves with the amount of tongue photos she posts.

Lol you follow Miley Cyrus on twitter?
Reply 41
Original post by pandabird
No, of course she is. She posted a screenshot from 2 years ago where Sinead suffered a rough patch with her mental illness and then said what she said. How the hell is it not mocking her mental illness?

I think it's disgraceful, would you mock physical illness? No, mental illness is no different.

Oh please get over yourself :rolleyes:
To be honest, before this whole Sinead O'Connor incident, I actually didn't mind Miley Cyrus that much. All her crazy and overtly sexual antics don't really bother me that much, I quite like her new music, and I thought she was just being some massive weirdo, but it's whatever if she's not hurting anyone.

But now my opinion of Miley has been much lowered, as I never realized how much of a dick she was, to have to react so offensively like that to someone in her industry who is not only older and wiser, but had also took the time to kindly give her advice when she didn't have to. Miley just highlighted herself as an ignorant spoilt brat, but at least Sinead can say she tried her best. I can only hope kids don't see Miley Cyrus and Hannah Montana as the same person.
Reply 43
Original post by Rational Thinker
They have enough money and power to walk away. They consent to it.

Original post by The Rusty Spork
They do choose. They have chosen the career, they have agreed with the managerial advice, they are (supposedly) of sound mind and they are adults. If they have signed a contract telling them to flash their boobs and simulate sex in-front of children then that was also their choice.

They deserve the derision, contempt and disgust that flows like a river of **** towards them.

Of course, I don't mean that she is forced to do so. That is just stupid. But obviously they have come to the point where they feel to progress in their musical careers, this is what they have to.

Why is rihanna currently one of if not the most popular artist now? Is it because of her amazing voice or the lyrical content of her songs? No, it is unfortunately because of her willingness to dress as little as possible and to incorporate sex into almost all her music she produces.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
Of course, I don't mean that she is forced to do so. That is just stupid. But obviously they have come to the point where they feel to progress in their musical careers, this is what they have to.

Why is rihanna currently one of if not the most popular artist now? Is it because of her amazing voice or the lyrical content of her songs? No, it is unfortunately because of her willingness to dress as little as possible and to incorporate sex into almost all her music she produces.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it is still their choice. To portray them as victims (not suggesting you're) would be a disgrace to the many many victims in other areas.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 45
What a disgusting piece of trash!
Original post by SuziieB

That is still choice.

You can progress in a musical career by, you know, releasing good music. Dido managed it.
Reply 47
Original post by SuziieB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much this. And dressing/dancing provocatively as part of her pop star persona doesn't make her "some worthless slut", which seems to be the general consensus. Clearly Miley's recent behaviour is just a career thing, and it's worked bloody well, her last couple of videos have been massively successful.
Reply 48
Original post by maskofsanity
That is still choice.

You can progress in a musical career by, you know, releasing good music. Dido managed it.

Who is dido? How much has he/she made compared to the likes of rihanna?

And I have specified, it is a choice. Just a necessary one. Why do lawyers choose to defend people like mass murderers? Why do some women feel the need to prostitute to make money? They are not forced to do it, but they do so because they feel the need to.

So it is still their choice. To portray them as victims (not suggesting you're) would be a disgrace to the many many victims in other areas.

See above.

I am not condoning what she did, I am giving an explanation for why female pop stars behave a certain way in the music industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Swanbow
With the stigma attached to mental illness in society I'm not surprised that Miley used it against Sinead. Still sickening though, attitudes need to change. No person chooses to have mental illness, it can happen to anyone.

Exactly. It simply shows how ignorant Miley is. She's unintentionally encouraging this poor attitude towards mental illness among her young fans.
The Mirror as a whole is disgusting.
Original post by SuziieB

And I have specified, it is a choice. Just a necessary one. Why do lawyers choose to defend people like mass murderers? Why do some women feel the need to prostitute to make money? They are not forced to do it, but they do so because they feel the need to.

See above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously? Rhianna is not starving, she is very affluent, she is not prostituting her self through need but through avarice.
Original post by SuziieB

See above.

I am not condoning what she did, I am giving an explanation for why female pop stars behave a certain way in the music industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, she is under no compulsion as for the "need to". Some very murderous l people have argued that they did their reprehensible actions because they "needed to".
If anyone takes Miley Cyrus seriously, then that's the real problem here haha! Look, she's just an attention seeking girl, who thinks this is the only way she can become famous. The sooner we begin to ignore her, the sooner we will hopefully be free of her.
Original post by SuziieB

Since when is money the measure of success?

Original post by SuziieB
And I have specified, it is a choice. Just a necessary one

It's completely unnecessary and illogical.

You sound even more warped than Miley Cyrus.
Reply 55
Seriously? Rhianna is not starving, she is very affluent, she is not prostituting her self through need but through avarice.

To us, her behaviour is disgusting and unnecessary. To her, she may very well feel the need to do so to advance in the music industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The article was too long to read
Original post by SuziieB
To us, her behaviour is disgusting and unnecessary. To her, she may very well feel the need to do so to advance in the music industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Daily Mail journalist who wrote the article attacking Ralph Miliband may have believed it was necessary to advance their career it does not stop it from being a distasteful action. Rhianna is no better.
Reply 58
Thing is if any regular person went around taking all their clothes off and lolling their tongue out, they would probably be sectioned quicker than you can say "Hannah Montanna is a spanner".
Reply 59
Original post by maskofsanity
Since when is money the measure of success?

It's completely unnecessary and illogical.

You sound even more warped than Miley Cyrus.

Money is certainly a measure of success in the society we live in, I don't know what ideal world you would love to live in.

What exactly is wrong with what I said? Are you saying that in the music industry, sex doesn't sell? Look at lady gaga, Katy Perry, Madonna in her time...Mariah Carey, most women at the height of their musical careers were overly sexualized. Thankfully there are now real female musicians like Adele and hopefully others will follow suit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending