The Student Room Group

I can't decide what course to do

Please help :frown: I cant decide whether to apply for maths or physics at uni and it's doing my head in.

On one had I love the quanta/astrophysics parts of Physics and I want to go into nuclear engineering. BUT I HATE LAB-WORK. I love pure maths too (c1-fp2) , and i hear that maths sets you up nicely to go into nuclear engineering?

I have considered a joint degree but my maths teachers quite old fashioned and has dissuaded me with the "jack of all trades" argument :confused: :s-smilie:
please any advice would be appreciated :colondollar:
Reply 1
bump
A few things:

A joint degree is a very valuable thing these days: don't listen to your teachers!
A physics degree will involve a lot of maths anyway, and probably more the type of maths you enjoy anyway (assuming that, like most people, you won't like the horrifically abstract stuff you encounter in pure maths at university level).
You could get a job in nuclear engineering from having a maths degree, as you would very likely have the mental capabilities if you survive it and come out with a good classification, but you would probably need quite a lot of training from your employer, so they would probably be more predisposed to take someone whose degree is in a slightly more relevant discipline first.
Reply 3
I realy can't decide :/
Reply 4
Some universities let you major in 1 subject and allow you to study a 2nd subject for the first 2 years only, so if u wanna do nuclear engineering then maybe search for a physics major with maths( as a minor) ?
There is always the option of theoretical physics degrees, and as for deciding which area of physics to go into I would say A level is too early. You may find one bit that you really like and that nuclear physics isn't all that you thought it was.
have you been to any university open days/talked to any students on the courses? You can visit your nearest university, even if you don't plan to apply there, and get more idea of the difference than your maths teacher can provide. Why aren't you looking at nuclear engineering degrees if that's where you want to end up, some universities offer them.

Combined honours are generally considered harder btw and if you get to uni and feel you made the wrong choice try to change course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending