The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

University of Sussex Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatgirlbecky
Ah I'm a fellow Sociology at Sussex applicant! :biggrin: Where else are you applying?

I'm already here aha :smile: Feel free to ask any questions though!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 21
Original post by LaurenBlackout
Hahaha oh dear :P
It depends on your budget and whether you want en-suite or not really.
I'm in Lewes Court which is the mid-range accommodation, it's really nice :smile: Swanborough is the most central, but quite expensive..
:biggrin:

Fair enough, I guess you've always got to make compromises! None of them look particularly terrible though... which is good! :smile:
Sent my UCAS off today, now the wait really begins. :redface:
Original post by LaurenBlackout
I'm already here aha :smile: Feel free to ask any questions though!

Oh I see, sorry, haha!
Original post by Paramore<3
Fair enough, I guess you've always got to make compromises! None of them look particularly terrible though... which is good! :smile:
Sent my UCAS off today, now the wait really begins. :redface:

Apart from East Slope... :P Good luck!
Course:colone:nglish
Grade Requirements:AAA-AAB
AS Grades:AABC
Predicted A Level grades: A*AA

Really liked the look of Sussex and it's so reassuring to hear they're flexible. I haven't been to any open days, so how accurate is the representation in the prospectuses, etc?
Reply 25
Original post by starryeyes1103
Course:colone:nglish
Grade Requirements:AAA-AAB
AS Grades:AABC
Predicted A Level grades: A*AA

Really liked the look of Sussex and it's so reassuring to hear they're flexible. I haven't been to any open days, so how accurate is the representation in the prospectuses, etc?

I went to the open day not sure whether I was even going to apply and I really, really loved it! It's a beautiful campus. All the buildings are big and modern (good if you like that kind of architecture). I don't know about the English department, but all the staff that I spoke to very really welcoming and friendly.

Apparently since the A-level exams have become harder, most unis are accepting applicants who don't make their offers (according to my Head of Year). For example, my friend's offer for History at Exeter was AAA; they achieved ABB and were accepted.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jd96
I went to the open day not sure whether I was even going to apply and I really, really loved it! It's a beautiful campus. All the buildings are big and modern (good if you like that kind of architecture). I don't know about the English department, but all the staff that I spoke to very really welcoming and friendly.

Apparently since the A-level exams have become harder, most unis are accepting applicants who don't make their offers (according to my Head of Year). For example, my friend's offer for History at Exeter was AAA; they achieved ABB and were accepted.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's nice to hear. For the uni's that I haven't actually been to I keep worrying that they might be totally different in real life.

A teacher at my school said that they're often flexible as well if you had a particularly good personal statement or if there was generally something they really liked about your application :smile:
Course: Media and communications
Grade Requirements: ABB
AS Grades: CCD
Predicted A Level grades: BCC

Hey guys I'm a student from Malaysia that's thinking of applying to Sussex. I know based on my results I am quite far off from the requirements, but my subjects were bio, chem and math (don't ask, I made a bad call choosing subs). My GCE-Olevel for English was 1A and in my SPM(equivalent to GSCE) I had received 3 A*, 3As & 3A- . Am I wasting a choice if I put Sussex down as one of my 5?
Reply 28
Course: social work
Grade requirements: DDM (ABB at level I believe)
Predicted grade: D*D*D

Really hope I get offered an interview :smile: love the city of Brighton and Sussex uni :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by deeyana_smiles
Course: Media and communications
Grade Requirements: ABB
AS Grades: CCD
Predicted A Level grades: BCC

Hey guys I'm a student from Malaysia that's thinking of applying to Sussex. I know based on my results I am quite far off from the requirements, but my subjects were bio, chem and math (don't ask, I made a bad call choosing subs). My GCE-Olevel for English was 1A and in my SPM(equivalent to GSCE) I had received 3 A*, 3As & 3A- . Am I wasting a choice if I put Sussex down as one of my 5?

It's almost impossible (without retaking all coursework and exams from AS to bring CCD to ABB...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeogBerry
It's almost impossible (without retaking all coursework and exams from AS to bring CCD to ABB...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well for now I'm fairly certain I can obtain at least BBC for my 3 subs because before this I had been slacking off a lot. But I see what you mean. So I shouldn't waste my choice on Sussex & aim lower?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by deeyana_smiles
Well for now I'm fairly certain I can obtain at least BBC for my 3 subs because before this I had been slacking off a lot. But I see what you mean. So I shouldn't waste my choice on Sussex & aim lower?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you can get BBC as my sister brought BBCC at AS up to AAAb through retaking everything in A2. She had to take a gap year so she could apply for the places she wanted to.

I'd suggest apply lower as I'm not sure whether they would even look at your application. But if you are happy with your other four choices, go for it! I was tempted to apply to Durham as my fifth choice when I only have ABBC at AS haha
Original post by GeogBerry
I'm sure you can get BBC as my sister brought BBCC at AS up to AAAb through retaking everything in A2. She had to take a gap year so she could apply for the places she wanted to.

I'd suggest apply lower as I'm not sure whether they would even look at your application. But if you are happy with your other four choices, go for it! I was tempted to apply to Durham as my fifth choice when I only have ABBC at AS haha

Yeah Sussex is the only one I'm going quite high with my choices, the rest of the unis I chose have CCC, BBC & BBB as requirements. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I just got an offer for Psychology!

Has anyone else heard back from them yet? Good luck :smile:
Original post by jd96
I just got an offer for Psychology!

Has anyone else heard back from them yet? Good luck :smile:

How long did it take for you, for Sussex to send you an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Course: politics and international relations
Grade Requirements:AAB/ABB
AS Grades: AABB
Predicted A Level grades:AAB (my school try not to inflate predictions)

I'm a bit worried about my application to Sussex.

I haven't even got a email saying the received my application when I have from all 4 of my other choices? Has anyone else? I sent in my application on 27th September and it's been silent from Sussex for a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by bluelezah
How long did it take for you, for Sussex to send you an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the acknowledgement email on 16th October and they offered me a place yesterday evening (23rd October), so one week.
I got offer for Economics and International Development, just yesterday.
Guys, chill! I was told for my course the offers were ABB, got offered BBB, got A*A*C and still got in even though I was below on one of the B's! Not everyone gets an email saying Sussex got their application and still got offers so don't panic! :-)

There is nothing wrong with East Slope apart from if you want your hand basin, they don't have them. If you want to apply there for having a good social life and nice flat community, it is also a good one. If you are glued to your phone then Northfield may not be the best option for you as they have terrible phone signal! I think (in order of price it is the following)

East Slope (six to a flat) (no handbasins, shared wash facilities)

Park Village (twelve to a house) (handbasins in room, shared bathrooms)

Park Houses (Norwich, York, Kent, Lancaster) (11 or 13 to corridor with basins in room, shared shower facilities)

Lewes Court (Phase one) (six or seven to a flat with shared showering facilities with handbasins)

Brighthelm (handbasins and washing machines with shared shower facilities)

Stanmer Court - En Suite

Lewes Court Phase Two - En Suite

Swanborough - En Suite

Northfield - En Suite
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jd96
I got the acknowledgement email on 16th October and they offered me a place yesterday evening (23rd October), so one week.

That was quick!
Thanks!
My acknowledgement letter I received is 19th October so hopefully, one week for me as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest