The Student Room Group

Looking young for my age?

I'm nearly 16 and people keep telling me that I look young for my age. I'm 5 foot and I often get the 'Aww, you're so cute' comments which sometimes makes me feel like a child. A few incidents recently have made me feel worse about it...

1) A person thought I was 10 years old (literally, not making it up).

2) I was in the main school office handing in a form and a girl in a couple of years below me asked me if I was in year 7 and was shocked when I told her I'm in year 11.

3) The year 11's always line up outside the hall to go in for lunch, so I was stood in the line the other day and a teacher said "What are you doing in the line?" so I told her that I'm in year 11.

People also seem to think they can walk all over me because of this and that I can't defend myself. I don't know how to deal with this? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

There's nothing you can do to change the people around you except by asserting yourself in the right way and letting them know; they'll gradually change because things like that can't change overnight. They may think you're a bitch or whatever but at least you are not a doormat for society.
Reply 2
Why is that such a bad thing? youth never comes back.
Reply 3
I still had people asking me where I went to school well into my 20s. :p: I'm 25 now and most people guess I'm 19/20, so I know how you feel.

You can do a few things to help you appear older (although not really in school; school uniform makes you look particularly young). You can wear smarter clothes and get a more 'grown up' hair cut. Confidence is a big thing for appearing to be more mature though-little things like walking with your head up and interacting with people confidently really makes you seem older. Some people wear make up to make themselves look older, but I'm not sure myself how well that works, as I don't bother with make up unless I'm going out.

Other than that, just keep thinking of how youthful you'll look when you're forty!
Reply 4
I used to get the same when I was younger (Im not that short it was more my facial features). I know its annoying now, but trust me when you get older youll enjoy it, Im guessing youve probably heard that a lot but its true. I used to get really upset and pissed off about it, but now Im 28 I actually like people mistaking me for being younger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You are blessed ! do not tempt fate!youth is evasive !
Reply 6
Original post by gemmam
I used to get the same when I was younger (Im not that short it was more my facial features). I know its annoying now, but trust me when you get older youll enjoy it, Im guessing youve probably heard that a lot but its true. I used to get really upset and pissed off about it, but now Im 28 I actually like people mistaking me for being younger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

see I toldya ! return to innocence is a slippery slope
Original post by GeekChicc
I'm nearly 16 and people keep telling me that I look young for my age. I'm 5 foot and I often get the 'Aww, you're so cute' comments which sometimes makes me feel like a child. A few incidents recently have made me feel worse about it...

1) A person thought I was 10 years old (literally, not making it up).

2) I was in the main school office handing in a form and a girl in a couple of years below me asked me if I was in year 7 and was shocked when I told her I'm in year 11.

3) The year 11's always line up outside the hall to go in for lunch, so I was stood in the line the other day and a teacher said "What are you doing in the line?" so I told her that I'm in year 11.

People also seem to think they can walk all over me because of this and that I can't defend myself. I don't know how to deal with this? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance :smile:

This. I am exactly the same, but 15 and in year 11. It is so frustrating! I had a group of younger years ask me what year I was in and when I said 11, they began to follow me to my lesson just to check!!
Reply 8
Yep, I have the same problem, I got ID'd for a 15, I'm 18... (Actually tbh, I didn't even know they ID'd for 15s before that). Multiple people in uni have asked how old I am, it sucks. But if you're a girl putting on make-up can make you look older, but do it tastefully ie. leave off the blue eyeshadow, because otherwise it makes you look even younger.

With any luck we'll grow into our features haha
Original post by CreatorGal14
This. I am exactly the same, but 15 and in year 11. It is so frustrating! I had a group of younger years ask me what year I was in and when I said 11, they began to follow me to my lesson just to check!!

Wow, that was a bit rude of them! Ah well, like everyone else has said, when we are older, it will be to our advantage when we look innocent and youthful :biggrin: Thanks for the tips everyone.
I have the same problem. But fast forward to my mum, who is now 50, and people guess that she is mid-30s. Sure it sucks now, but later on, you'll find that looking younger is actually rather nice.

Seriously though what is it about being short that makes people assume you MUST be younger? You can actually just be short, you know :sigh:
Reply 11
Original post by CreatorGal14

Wow that was pretty rude :eek: I remember years ago I was once asked "are you sure youre 19? you dont look it" after telling someone my age. Yeah cause Im not going to know my own age...:lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by desdemonata
I have the same problem. But fast forward to my mum, who is now 50, and people guess that she is mid-30s. Sure it sucks now, but later on, you'll find that looking younger is actually rather nice.

Seriously though what is it about being short that makes people assume you MUST be younger? You can actually just be short, you know :sigh:

My mum is in her early 60s but often gets mistaken for mid 40s to early 50s. Hopefully Ill be the same when Im older.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
If it really gets to you and people start to insult you, insult them back (mentioning their hair, makeup or weight is bound to wind them up).
Reply 14
I guarantee in ten years you'll do ANYTHING to make yourself seem younger, so I wouldn't give it much thought to be honest. Just go with it. If you look young, you look young. There's nothing you can do and it's likely to be endearing.
Original post by gemmam
Wow that was pretty rude :eek: I remember years ago I was once asked "are you sure youre 19? you dont look it" after telling someone my age. Yeah cause Im not going to know my own age...:lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

People can be so rude sometimes!
Your profile picture is adorable, just had to say that:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by GeekChicc
People can be so rude sometimes!
Your profile picture is adorable, just had to say that:smile:

Thanks although it's just one of the standard TSR ones :tongue:
Agreed, in years time you'll probably do anything to make yourself look younger so enjoy it while it lasts.
Thanks for the tips everyone, I appreciate it. And now that I think about it, the benefits when I'm older definitely outweigh the tiny disadvantages that I have to put up with now :wink:
Reply 19
You probably are just good looking.

Quick Reply

Latest