The Student Room Group

AS help!

Hey, so I'm a few weeks into my AS levels and I've taken biology, chemistry, psychology and english lit. I got straight As+A*s at GCSE but now I'm really hating english lit. weve started with poetry and shakespeare- which i hate generally, but I'm wondering whether its gonna be best to drop it and stick with the three sciences?
I'm hoping to do science at oxford- so will I be at any disadvantage without 4AS levels? Im just worried the english wont be an A at the end of this year and I want to do really well. any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by wanttobeadoc
Hey, so I'm a few weeks into my AS levels and I've taken biology, chemistry, psychology and english lit. I got straight As+A*s at GCSE but now I'm really hating english lit. weve started with poetry and shakespeare- which i hate generally, but I'm wondering whether its gonna be best to drop it and stick with the three sciences?
I'm hoping to do science at oxford- so will I be at any disadvantage without 4AS levels? Im just worried the english wont be an A at the end of this year and I want to do really well. any help would be appreciated!

Which science? Maths is probably valued very highly for it so I'd definitely drop that or Psych for Maths.
Reply 2
Original post by TSR561
Which science? Maths is probably valued very highly for it so I'd definitely drop that or Psych for Maths.

Biological sciences hopefully
You probably would be disadvantaged not taking 4 AS subjects at somewhere like Oxford, I know someonewho's applying to Oxford with 5 A2 subjects (Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths and Further Maths) so they're the kind of people you will be competing with. But I agree that Maths would be a much better choice than either Psychology or English Lit.
Reply 4
Honestly, English lit is valued higher than Psychology and is seen as more creative - your best bet is to drop that and pick up maths whilst sticking with your others.

Also the first few weeks of AS are always the same, once you get into the syllabus a bit more it gets more interesting!
You should definitely stick with your AS levels, it will be a disadvantage if you only have 3. I'd recommend sticking it out with English Lit, I hated it at first too, and I did end up dropping it, but it's not too hard to get an A and it does get better.

Drop english lit if you hate it and do something you like instead :smile:

can't you take on another subject? drop english lit and take maths, it's really important if you want to study a science subject at uni

Quick Reply

Latest