The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Is Open University treated as a real university?

I'm considering doing a degree through it because it's beneficial for me in most ways. The price is good. I am kind of an autodidact. I just need some guidance from a tutor or professor occasionally. I may need facilities as well. My main concerns are the following:

What are the employment prospects with a degree from OU?

Will the degree gain me entry onto a master course at another university?

Where would OU be placed on the league tables?

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's definitely a real university, and is pretty well regarded!

Employment prospects are hard to show in statistics form, because a lot of people do the OU for purely their own enjoyment (well, they used to - not so much now with the increased fees, but it used to be a good way for people to be 'life-long learners' and gain many qualifications just for their own interest). However, all employers I've had/spoken to have been really impressed by the work I've put in to get my degree while working full-time, and the only people who have ever implied that it wasn't a 'real degree' or a 'real university' have been silly 18 year olds who have no idea. I started a job advertised as a graduate job back in June and I haven't even finished my degree yet, so clearly my manager was impressed enough :smile:

It will certainly allow you to get onto a Masters course.

They aren't on any league tables as far as I'm aware because they're a part-time distance learning institution. However, they are rated really highly in surveys for student satisfaction.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Kate.
It's definitely a real university, and is pretty well regarded!

Employment prospects are hard to show in statistics form, because a lot of people do the OU for purely their own enjoyment (well, they used to - not so much now with the increased fees, but it used to be a good way for people to be 'life-long learners' and gain many qualifications just for their own interest). However, all employers I've had/spoken to have been really impressed by the work I've put in to get my degree while working full-time, and the only people who have ever implied that it wasn't a 'real degree' or a 'real university' have been silly 18 year olds who have no idea. I started a job advertised as a graduate job back in June and I haven't even finished my degree yet, so clearly my manager was impressed enough :smile:

It will certainly allow you to get onto a Masters course.

They aren't on any league tables as far as I'm aware because they're a part-time distance learning institution. However, they are rated really highly in surveys for student satisfaction.

Was the job related to the degree you were studying?
Reply 3
Original post by daijoubu
Was the job related to the degree you were studying?

Yep - I'm doing BSc (Hons) Computing & IT, and I'm mostly working with databases/SQL now, with some web development. I've been working full-time for about 6 years but only in general admin/secretarial kind of jobs. The only experience I had with SQL prior to getting the job was the M359 module I took last year. I finish my degree on Monday :smile:
Yes, it is just 'as good' as a regular university :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Kate.
Yep - I'm doing BSc (Hons) Computing & IT, and I'm mostly working with databases/SQL now, with some web development. I've been working full-time for about 6 years but only in general admin/secretarial kind of jobs. The only experience I had with SQL prior to getting the job was the M359 module I took last year. I finish my degree on Monday :smile:

Oh that's good. Basic sql can be learned quite quickly so it's not too much of a risk depending on what task you were doing. I don't mean to be rude but you do have all that experience which makes you desirable for the workplace anyway. Your degree has given you more skills to do other types of work. I wonder if unemployed people taking the degree have had much success.0
Reply 6
Oh that's good. Basic sql can be learned quite quickly so it's not too much of a risk depending on what task you were doing. I don't mean to be rude but you do have all that experience which makes you desirable for the workplace anyway. Your degree has given you more skills to do other types of work. I wonder if unemployed people taking the degree have had much success.0

Well, the job is a bit more than basic SQL, lol. My boss has said multiple times how impressed he's been with how much I know - they weren't expecting me to be this comfortable with the job or have this much knowledge from a single module. I do have a good bit of work experience (although none of it is particularly relevant to my current job) but still, they employed a non-graduate over the other people they interviewed, who I believe all already had their degrees. I don't know what work experience the other candidates had though.

Part of the reason why the OU tends to be seen as a good study experience is that you do have the opportunity to get far more work experience throughout your degree than most people who attend full-time university. I strongly recommend that you work or volunteer while you're studying with the OU - it looks really good to employers and demonstrates time-management and organisation.
Reply 7
Hi Kate

Just wondered which pathway you did ?, I'm gonna do Comp Sci with an emphasis on the programming modules but I'm thinking maybe I should try and touch on a few subjects rather than just doing all programming stuff.
Reply 8
Original post by Kate.
Well, the job is a bit more than basic SQL, lol. My boss has said multiple times how impressed he's been with how much I know - they weren't expecting me to be this comfortable with the job or have this much knowledge from a single module. I do have a good bit of work experience (although none of it is particularly relevant to my current job) but still, they employed a non-graduate over the other people they interviewed, who I believe all already had their degrees. I don't know what work experience the other candidates had though.

BTW do you mind sharing what position you have? I know some people that studied Computer Science at university and struggled to gain employment. However the ones that had relevant work experience got jobs really fast.

I also wonder what the prospects are like for other subjects. I'm thinking of studying maths & physics there purely because I love Math. I might do it over the course of 7 years or something. I want to get a degree in engineering or something and work an engineering or programming job if I can get one. If not i'll go self employed.
Reply 9
BTW do you mind sharing what position you have? I know some people that studied Computer Science at university and struggled to gain employment. However the ones that had relevant work experience got jobs really fast.

I also wonder what the prospects are like for other subjects. I'm thinking of studying maths & physics there purely because I love Math. I might do it over the course of 7 years or something. I want to get a degree in engineering or something and work an engineering or programming job if I can get one. If not i'll go self employed.

My job title is pretty vague so wouldn't help, really. I work for the council, and my job involves (or will involve, once I've finished training) a lot of different things, from resetting passwords, updating permissions and unlocking accounts, to writing and maintaining SQL Server procedures and reports, running SQL jobs, creating and updating ASP.NET pages, installing Oracle patches and upgrades/patches for the council's software, etc.

I did my degree in 4 years.

Original post by mug2k
Hi Kate

Just wondered which pathway you did ?, I'm gonna do Comp Sci with an emphasis on the programming modules but I'm thinking maybe I should try and touch on a few subjects rather than just doing all programming stuff.

I didn't really follow a pathway - I was on the old qualification (B62), it's different for newer students. The modules I did covered general IT stuff (M150, T175, T215), programming (MT264, M255, M362), networks (TM128 - hated this, haha) and databases (M359).
Reply 10
I think since the OU is not one of the top 10-15ish best universities in the country, it would be considered as the same level as any other average university in the UK.

I.e., I think most people separate university rankings in their heads, broadly speaking, as

1. Cambridge, or rather, Oxford and Cambridge.

1b. Nearly Oxford and Cambridge (maybe UCL, Imperial, LSE..)
2. Very good universities ( i.e. King's, Bristol, Warwick (maybe this goes in the category above?), SOAS, Durham, Southampton, Edinburgh, St Andrews, a few more...)
3. Not one of the most famously good unis.
4. Any university they've heard particularly bad things about, or unis that are in the same town as one of the best universities and so clearly lose on comparison, e.g. Oxford Brooks.

I think the O.U. falls comfortably into category 3, i.e. just as good as almost every other university in the country.

FYI I have heard employers talked loudly about applicants CVs and threw away any not from the top 10 or so unis. The OU appeared to be treated slightly differently to all other 'not the top 10' unis, almost as if it deserved the benefit of the doubt. In certain industries, this 'only the best' attitude will be widespread.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Yosho
I think since the OU is not one of the top 10-15ish best universities in the country, it would be considered as the same level as any other average university in the UK.

I.e., I think most people separate university rankings in their heads, broadly speaking, as

2. Very good universities ( i.e. King's, Bristol, Warwick (maybe this goes in the category above?), SOAS, Durham, Southampton, Edinburgh, St Andrews, a few more...)
4. Any university they've heard particularly bad things about, or unis that are in the same town as one of the best universities and so clearly lose on comparison, e.g. Oxford Brooks.

I think the O.U. falls comfortably into category 3, i.e. just as good as almost every other university in the country.

FYI I have heard employers talked loudly about applicants CVs and threw away any not from the top 10 or so unis. The OU appeared to be treated slightly differently to all other 'not the top 10' unis, almost as if it deserved the benefit of the doubt. In certain industries, this 'only the best' attitude will be widespread.

Too much fail to quantify...

By what metric are you measuring, 'the best universities in the country'?
Reply 12
Original post by addylad
Too much fail to quantify...

By what metric are you measuring, 'the best universities in the country'?

Hearsay, conjecture and anecdotal evidence.

Is it scientific? No. Does it hold in the real world? By the hearsay, conjecture and anecdotal evidence I've been exposed to so far.. definitely.

You are free to disagree with my opinion.
Original post by Yosho
Hearsay, conjecture and anecdotal evidence.

To your credit, at least you admit it.

However, I do disagree with your opinion. Looking at the vast range of OU students, I think it is impossible to generalise. How good the university is perceived depends on how well-qualified a student is for a job at the end of their degree.

Without studying at the OU, I would not be working where I am now, and I'll certainly be better qualified for a job when I graduate, than if I had gone to a well-renowned conventional university. Of this I have no doubt.

Anecdotes aside, the Open University is used by a great many blue chip companies, which says a lot.
Reply 14
I am not generalizing about the students themselves, but about the opinions people and particularly people making hiring and pay decisions that I have come into contact with or heard about, have.

Original post by addylad
How good the university is perceived depends on how well-qualified a student is for a job at the end of their degree.

I think you are naive to think everyone is as broadminded and fair as you are hoping they will be about the institution. Having said that, I think the OU is a fantastic idea and hope it gains credibility, but I think a person would be sheltering themselves from reality a little if they failed to notice that the Open University does not share the level of credibility of the top 10-15 universities in the UK.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
I just read on another forum that another studetn got onto an Imperial College MA with an OU degree.
That is what you need to do if you want employers to take notice.
Reply 16
I'm considering doing a degree through it because it's beneficial for me in most ways. The price is good. I am kind of an autodidact. I just need some guidance from a tutor or professor occasionally. I may need facilities as well. My main concerns are the following:

What are the employment prospects with a degree from OU?

Will the degree gain me entry onto a master course at another university?

Where would OU be placed on the league tables?

In answer to all your questions:
1. There are great employment prospects from the Open University degrees. Lots of big companies sponsor their employees to do OU modules (75% of FTSE 100 companies do it) which definitely counts for something and means that they must think it is worth it. I can name loads of organisations I have spoken to who love OU graduates for the quality of degree, the amount of determination it takes and the transferable skills learnt as well as knowledge from the degree. I spoke to some people from the armed forces and civil service at a careers day and they really loved the fact that I was doing an OU degree and said that they find OU graduates to be great employees. There are also employers who note themselves to be particularly keen to employ OU graduates/students from Barclays, Unilever, Waitrose, RBS, The Met Police, Tesco, NHS, Heinz, KPMG is a big one along with the FDM group, and plenty more.

What also adds to the OU degrees is that, for example, the business degrees are triple accredited, the law degrees are Qualifying Law Degrees developed with the Law College, the teaching on the PGCE courses were given an outstanding by OFSTED and the psychology degrees are accredited by the British Psychological Society. To make a few points.

2. Yes, you will be able to get on to a masters course with an OU degree provided you meet the entry requirements. (in other words they don't discriminate) Being an OU student might even give you a 'one-up' as a lot of masters degrees these days from brick uni's are distance learning.

3. The Open University isn't placed on league tables because the measures used on them can't be applied, but newer universities such as the OU would be lower because it isn't as 'established' as Oxford or Cambridge. However, given the amount of employers that sponsor OU students, the accreditation, the amount of employers who note themselves to be keen to employ OU students, the feedback from students, the enjoyment of students when doing the degree, the quality of materials etc. Just gives an idea of how good the OU qualifications actually are. :smile:
Original post by Yosho
I am not generalizing about the students themselves, but about the opinions people and particularly people making hiring and pay decisions that I have come into contact with or heard about, have.

I think you are naive to think everyone is as broadminded and fair as you are hoping they will be about the institution. Having said that, I think the OU is a fantastic idea and hope it gains credibility, but I think a person would be sheltering themselves from reality a little if they failed to notice that the Open University does not share the level of credibility of the top 10-15 universities in the UK.

Amongst who? Evidently not employers; read the poster above.

Original post by Yosho
I just read on another forum that another studetn got onto an Imperial College MA with an OU degree.
That is what you need to do if you want employers to take notice.

What is your point? Clearly Imperial took notice if they got an MA there. And employers do too; again, read the poster above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yosho

Durham belongs in "the category above", it is far better than Warwick and as good as UCL
Reply 19
Ok, put two identical CVs on emplyoment agency webites, LinkedIn, anywhere on the internet where you're looking for a job, change only the name and phone number contact details, and on one put University of OXford/University College London.... and on the other put "Open University"

Do you really really think the response will be the same? Honestly?
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest