The Student Room Group

Teaching Assistant Interview and Observation

Hi, has anyone had an observation and interview for a Teaching Assistant job?

I have one next week at a secondary school and don't know what to expect, especially from the observation. Will I be teaching a class myself or a small group? They haven't told me to prepare or anything, just says there will be an observation and then an interview to follow.

I'm pretty nervous about it to be honest as I have had some experience of working in a school while studying at university but not enough to be thrown in the deep end teaching something I know nothing about.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by akash140990
Hi, has anyone had an observation and interview for a Teaching Assistant job?

I have one next week at a secondary school and don't know what to expect, especially from the observation. Will I be teaching a class myself or a small group? They haven't told me to prepare or anything, just says there will be an observation and then an interview to follow.

I'm pretty nervous about it to be honest as I have had some experience of working in a school while studying at university but not enough to be thrown in the deep end teaching something I know nothing about.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

they shouldn't be expecting you to deliver a lesson. They'll be hoping to see you interact with the pupils as if you were a TA (probably what you've already done). If possible have a chat with the teacher who's lesson your in before if possible and see what they're expecting, if that's not possible, assume you're having a trial run as TA.

Try and generate something to say at the interview e.g. Kidname seems quite bright but is easily distracted by her friends.
Reply 2
I work as a TA in a secondary school. Don't panic! It's actually quite easy and the interviewers won't be expecting too much of you.

Make contact with the teacher, ask them if they need any help, can i hand out books, worksheets, resources etc?

Constantly mingle, ask the kids questions, do you understand this? what do you think about this topic? do you need some help?

Smile to the children, be approachable, act relaxed, Easier said than done in an interview situation i know!!

Thank the interviewer for giving you the opportunity to experience one of their classes as a TA.

At the end of the day if you don't get the job, then the school probably isn't right for you, my school is quite open, relaxed, and informal compared to some other schools which can seem quite snooty and old-fashioned. I didn't get a job at that type of school but I feel I fit in well at my current school.

Good Luck!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dairynuts
I work as a TA in a secondary school. Don't panic! It's actually quite easy and the interviewers won't be expecting too much of you.

Make contact with the teacher, ask them if they need any help, can i hand out books, worksheets, resources etc?

Constantly mingle, ask the kids questions, do you understand this? what do you think about this topic? do you need some help?

Smile to the children, be approachable, act relaxed, Easier said than done in an interview situation i know!!

Thank the interviewer for giving you the opportunity to experience one of their classes as a TA.

At the end of the day if you don't get the job, then the school probably isn't right for you, my school is quite open, relaxed, and informal compared to some other schools which can seem quite snooty and old-fashioned. I didn't get a job at that type of school but I feel I fit in well at my current school.

Good Luck!! :smile:

Hey, thanks for your reply! I didn't get that job but I have managed to get another job as a Learning Support Assistant in a secondary school! I start after half term! :smile: Do you have any tips for me when I start? I think it will be a big learning experience for me too but I want to try and hit the ground running. They were really pleased to employ me and said my interview was really good and I interacted well with the children on my tour around the school before the interview.
Thanks a lot!!
Reply 4
Original post by akash140990
Hey, thanks for your reply! I didn't get that job but I have managed to get another job as a Learning Support Assistant in a secondary school! I start after half term! :smile: Do you have any tips for me when I start? I think it will be a big learning experience for me too but I want to try and hit the ground running. They were really pleased to employ me and said my interview was really good and I interacted well with the children on my tour around the school before the interview.
Thanks a lot!!

No problem! Well done on getting the job!

Are you supporting a particular SEN pupil or many SEN pupils? or a general classroom helper?

I support many SEN students in a variety of lessons, to begin with the kids will probably behave and listen to you, as you're new, they won't be sure how to act around you. Although in the first month or so the kids will probably try and test you, they will try and break the rules to see how you react, remember to be firm to start with, although it should be the responsibility of the teacher to ensure they manage unruly kids effectively. Be careful not be over friendly, some TAs i know struggle a little with discipline because the kids treat them more like friends. Try and develop good relationships with the teachers, so they're happy to talk to you at the beginning of lessons and are more willing to take your ideas on board. Often you will see things in lessons which the teacher hasn't noticed. Be patient with the kids, Teachers/TAs were not the kids at school who were SEN and you learn how tough it is them, most Teachers/TAs would of been academically average or above at school.

I only started as a TA in September so i'm still learning aswell! Hope that helps. Enjoy :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by dairynuts
No problem! Well done on getting the job!

Are you supporting a particular SEN pupil or many SEN pupils? or a general classroom helper?

I support many SEN students in a variety of lessons, to begin with the kids will probably behave and listen to you, as you're new, they won't be sure how to act around you. Although in the first month or so the kids will probably try and test you, they will try and break the rules to see how you react, remember to be firm to start with, although it should be the responsibility of the teacher to ensure they manage unruly kids effectively. Be careful not be over friendly, some TAs i know struggle a little with discipline because the kids treat them more like friends. Try and develop good relationships with the teachers, so they're happy to talk to you at the beginning of lessons and are more willing to take your ideas on board. Often you will see things in lessons which the teacher hasn't noticed. Be patient with the kids, Teachers/TAs were not the kids at school who were SEN and you learn how tough it is them, most Teachers/TAs would of been academically average or above at school.

I only started as a TA in September so i'm still learning aswell! Hope that helps. Enjoy :smile:

Thanks! I think it is both, supporting SEN pupils within the classroom and outside of the classroom as well as general class support. It depends on my timetable I think and what I am supposed to be doing that day/lesson.

That's great advice actually and I will take it on on board. I think I will just have to find my feet for the first week or two to get to know everybody and try and settle in.

Again, thanks for your help and I wish you all the best!

-Alex
Reply 6
Hiya, I have a teaching assistant interview on Tuesday, just wondered whether anyone has any examples of questions that may come up or any advice? It's at a primary school. I only have 3 weeks experience in a primary school volunteering so i'm pretty nervous about it and I'm worried I will completely mess up... Thanks for any advice :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by flower124
Hiya, I have a teaching assistant interview on Tuesday, just wondered whether anyone has any examples of questions that may come up or any advice? It's at a primary school. I only have 3 weeks experience in a primary school volunteering so i'm pretty nervous about it and I'm worried I will completely mess up... Thanks for any advice :smile:

Hi sorry for late reply, i just noticed your message!
Not sure if you have already had the interview but i will answer your question anyway.
Questions will be about what you think a good teaching assistant is, what child protection is and how to ensure it in school, what qualities make you a good assistant, how you can help in other areas of the school, questions on safeguarding children, and general questions on how you might overcome problems, i.e. if a child doesn't want to do any work, etc. Some of them you can't revise for but most you can! hope it goes/went well, x
Hi, I've got an interview on Friday as teaching assistant in a secondary school. Quite nervous and desperately looking forward to get it. They have said that I'll be having a tour of the school, a task, student council interview and a final panel interview. Would you be able to give me some inputs on how these rounds would be? what do I need to do during the tour , what kind of tasks they would give etc pls.
Hey,

I have worked in a few schools as a teaching assistant and have a fairly good idea of what works well for someone thrown in at the deep end. What works well for me in the past is to have some kind of

Ice breaker (5-10mins) that grabs their attention

Be concise and clear with your instructions.

Be confident and friendly in your delivery, even if you do not know what you're doing!

Move them on quickly through activities.

Teachers get observed all the time so its no big deal. Ignore the fact you're being observed. What they want to see is you are teachable and trainable....

At the end of the day - They NEED you ... Key thing is to have fun :-)

Hope that helps.
Hi,

Many thanks for your advice. Will try to be calm and cool. Any idea what kind of tasks I would be asked to do and also what kind of questions the student panel would ask?
Hi,

You are welcome! Yes be calm and confident! From past experience they may ask you to prepare items for an activity, assist the class teacher prepare items for an activity or lead a small group activity? This is about how well you follow instructions and to identify your skill sets?

The main competences they are looking at is how you interact with the teacher/student. Can they relate to you? Do you fit in?

As mentioned in previous threads you will not be expected to lead a whole class as that is the teacher's role.

The student panel may want to find out if you are aware of some of the problems teenagers are facing right now and maybe as you how you would go about tackling a particular issue. Some knowledge around safeguarding, equality opportunity, sex discrimination, religion etc would be good but there's no need to go in depth

Hope this helps. Good luck 👍

Patricia
Thats awesome advice .. Will try to exhibit as much as i can. Many thanks .. Will keep u updated :-)
Glad I was able to assist... Looking forward to hearing how you get on :-)

Patricia
I'm not panicked on my observation I'm more worried about writing my planning down for my assessor if anyone had notes they would share I'd be very grateful
I received a call this morning and I have an interview tomorrow morning for an LSA in a secondary school. I have never done this work before, I retired last week as a Police Officer.I am both excited and nervous... and also surprised to even get an interview.I am currently try8ng to guess the questions which may be asked but struggling on how to answer things like “what would you do If a student doesn’t want to do the work” or how to motivate a disengaged student etc Can anyone offer some help please ?xx
Original post by Chrisegan
I received a call this morning and I have an interview tomorrow morning for an LSA in a secondary school. I have never done this work before, I retired last week as a Police Officer.I am both excited and nervous... and also surprised to even get an interview.I am currently try8ng to guess the questions which may be asked but struggling on how to answer things like “what would you do If a student doesn’t want to do the work” or how to motivate a disengaged student etc Can anyone offer some help please ?xx

Working with the teacher is really important - they may want you to work with a particular student or group of students. Do not act like you are still in the Police - classrooms are not like that! If students are off task then say something like 'How are getting on so far?' or 'Which question are you on?' rather than telling them off is a better approach.
Thank you but I don’t think I will be done by classroom. I think it is just an interview
Just worried on how to answer those particular questions !
Reply 18
hey guys. can any one please guide me about this task?' its an interview task for learning support assistant job. The task is a page from an exercise book and some information on a student and they have to write down how they would help the teacher in getting the information into the student's head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending