The Student Room Group

A2 Law problem

I studied AS law last year and achieved a C in both exams (OCR).

This year I've realised that the only reason why I, and others in my class who achieved grades C or above did so was because we all did a decent amount of revision in our own time. The teacher we have insists on using booklets which although good, she fails to correctly highlight key elements of each topic.

I understand all the weight and blame cannot be put towards the teacher so in order to avoid making this the case come results day, I've decided to find a way to effectively teach myself and revise A2 criminal law.

Each of us got one of the OCR criminal law books (third edition), but there is a lot of waffle which I only managed to recognise last year when I had a fairly good grounding to build on.

Can anyone help suggest any sites, resources or anything at all that can help me teach myself the content required for the spec? Last year was much easier with a large emphasis on AO1 marks which are easier to obtain than AO2/3s (in my opinion), but right now I'm struggling with the structure of essays and what sort of things can get me AO2/3 marks.

In Psychology I just needed a few practice essays and some guidance and now I understand the structure and what type of input I need to give in order to gain marks, but I am yet to have similar guidance for A2 Law..

Sorry for the long post, I hope someone can help me, would be massively appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Lil_Jatt
I studied AS law last year and achieved a C in both exams (OCR).

This year I've realised that the only reason why I, and others in my class who achieved grades C or above did so was because we all did a decent amount of revision in our own time. The teacher we have insists on using booklets which although good, she fails to correctly highlight key elements of each topic.

I understand all the weight and blame cannot be put towards the teacher so in order to avoid making this the case come results day, I've decided to find a way to effectively teach myself and revise A2 criminal law.

Each of us got one of the OCR criminal law books (third edition), but there is a lot of waffle which I only managed to recognise last year when I had a fairly good grounding to build on.

Can anyone help suggest any sites, resources or anything at all that can help me teach myself the content required for the spec? Last year was much easier with a large emphasis on AO1 marks which are easier to obtain than AO2/3s (in my opinion), but right now I'm struggling with the structure of essays and what sort of things can get me AO2/3 marks.

In Psychology I just needed a few practice essays and some guidance and now I understand the structure and what type of input I need to give in order to gain marks, but I am yet to have similar guidance for A2 Law..

Sorry for the long post, I hope someone can help me, would be massively appreciated! :smile:

Amazon might sell some books that include model answers but if you can't find anything then past papers, mark schemes and examiner reports might be a good option to give you an insight into the essay structures and the tiers of marks they give? I don't think they'd give the detail that you'd be looking for, but if all else fails I think it's something to work with.
One of my friends recently bought a student unit guide for one of her A levels for Politics. I can't remember the author but the publisher is I believe Philip Allan. I haven't seen these books until recently but I browsed through her book and they did have example exam questions and exemplar answers to them (graded and commentary included). I don't have one myself, but you could look into them and see if they have them for law as well and maybe they will be helpful?
The books themselves are just like revision notes so they wouldn't give you the detail needed for a study book, therefore it would just be the questions and answers that might be helpful.
Hope I answered your question / hope I helped :smile:
You could try zigzag resources. In law it's mainly based on your teacher's handouts and the textbook. For special study, you will definitely need the support from your tutors in order to get a decent grade. What's the topic of it this year, theft? And the booklets are more than necessary, use the practice 50 mark essays in there for your chosen topics and you will find yourself pretty comfortable in the exam.

P.S For section C do as much prep as possible, or it can throw you off. The first two are pretty formulaic and simple to answer:redface:
Reply 3
Sixthformlaw was a site that I used in addition to the OCR textbooks to complete my Law A level, and I understood most of it and came out with a B :smile:

I had the same issue as you did with the teacher teaching poorly which meant I had to redo and relearn all of my AS level law, 10/12 people got U's lol, it just takes hard work, and you can always ask your teacher if you don't understand it, I'm sure they are willing to explain it cause well... They are your teachers right aha, and if you do have any questions then you're free to message me too and maybe I can help out :biggrin:

For A2 you will do a special study on a topic area which you must study in depth. My school bought the zigzag guide which is very useful, it covers almost everything you need to know for your special study paper. Also the criminal law paper has two 50 mark questions and one 20 marker. You're expected to explain how the law topic world and then discuss the problems of the area in the law for Q1. Q2. You will be given a scenario, you want to cover all areas of law. E.g if the scenario is about burglary, chances are it may involve a bit of robbery too. If so then you most explain the area of the law. E.g. Section 9a of the theft act is burglary states that there an intended entry to perform criminal damage, steal or cause GBH as a trespasser. And then you talk about the statements and say whether they are guilty or not
Q3 is more statements and you simply say if they are accurate or not
The mark schemes are actually really useful, they will cover what you need to put into the answers!! You should do well if you prepare yourself and cover the material properly :smile:

Hope I helped and made sense, If not it's probably cause I'm really tired haha, message me if you need help though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated!

I will check all the sites and resources out that were mentioned, I am getting worried slightly as my teacher doesn't see it as an issue when we make little progress..

Its going to take a big effort to achieve a decent grade this year.

If anyone else has any useful tips then do share!

Again, all responses much appreciated! :smile:
For G153 (The larger paper) my only advice is to do a ton of practice papers and make sure that you're meeting the specification; easy marks can be dropped in that paper.

Quick Reply

Latest