The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desdemonata
What do you mean by genre? RPGs, FPS...?

Surely that isn't fair. People will have preferences for certain types of game over others. A better criteria would probably be how long/ how many games (regardless of genre) they have played.

(Following on)
Also how long for? If someone played a game from each category for a short amount of time surely that wouldn't count? :tongue: ok so maybe that's taking it a bit for but I agree with desdemonata, genre shouldn't count.
Also there's nothing wrong with liking things like halo. Yes, if you ooonly like halo you can't really call yourself a gamer but they're still pretty good games :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by eXemp
therefore you are a gamer , and a girl gamer. the PROPER one.

If you say so :rolleyes:

Do you remember gameboy advance and gameboy? Ah.... Nostalgic.
Reply 42
gameboy sp :woo:
Original post by Flobie
(Following on)
Also how long for? If someone played a game from each category for a short amount of time surely that wouldn't count? :tongue: ok so maybe that's taking it a bit for but I agree with desdemonata, genre shouldn't count.
Also there's nothing wrong with liking things like halo. Yes, if you ooonly like halo you can't really call yourself a gamer but they're still pretty good games :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It'd would be a waste of money to buy loads of games and only play them a little bit :tongue:

I think what they mean is that Halo and COD are the most popular games, so people are more likely to play just one of those rather than just Battlefield or just AC, etc. I think a gamer is someone who has played a fair few games, does or has played quite regularly and thus for some amount of time.
It'd would be a waste of money to buy loads of games and only play them a little bit :tongue:

I think what they mean is that Halo and COD are the most popular games, so people are more likely to play just one of those rather than just Battlefield or just AC, etc. I think a gamer is someone who has played a fair few games, does or has played quite regularly and thus for some amount of time.

Fair enough :tongue:

That's what kinda annoys me about Xbox one ATM, it's like Microsoft are trying to appeal to the "I'm a gamer cos I play cod" types, not actual gamers.. Sony are all about the games :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Honestly, the argument of what constitutes a geek, comic fan, gamer, etc. could go in circles for ages. I mean, hell, I played friggin' Zork and Pong back in the day (I just dated myself oh god o_o). I still remember and have some text based games. I have old first ed D&D stuff. I mean, man.

I personally got tired of not having the time to devote to getting good at shooters, so I tend to drift towards RPGs, Strategy and sim games, etc. I guess that's a bit stereotypical, but I have war games and plenty of not 'girly' stuff. I dunno. I did pvp in WoW and ranked up in Vanilla. But I just kinda burned out on WoW and it's Magnificent Loads of Dailies(TM).

I likes what I likes, and I promise that my naughty bits won't melt tech that I come in contact with. That's all. It is nice not to get called fat, sl*t or ugly when someone loses to me.
Original post by thechibi
Honestly, the argument of what constitutes a geek, comic fan, gamer, etc. could go in circles for ages. I mean, hell, I played friggin' Zork and Pong back in the day (I just dated myself oh god o_o). I still remember and have some text based games. I have old first ed D&D stuff. I mean, man.

I personally got tired of not having the time to devote to getting good at shooters, so I tend to drift towards RPGs, Strategy and sim games, etc. I guess that's a bit stereotypical, but I have war games and plenty of not 'girly' stuff. I dunno. I did pvp in WoW and ranked up in Vanilla. But I just kinda burned out on WoW and it's Magnificent Loads of Dailies(TM).

I likes what I likes, and I promise that my naughty bits won't melt tech that I come in contact with. That's all. It is nice not to get called fat, sl*t or ugly when someone loses to me.

:rofl: Rep for making me laugh :biggrin:
Reply 47
Plz.. even I get called these things.. If i were to listen to those :

90% of the people i play against/with have had sexual relations with my mother/father
These people have found the ability to "infect" my mother/father with cancer
I have a tendency to perform oral to those of my sex without even realising
I have a tendency to perform any sexual activity to myself with or without pleasure.

Oh and the best one!?

People have had sexual relations with some of my dead family members.
Reply 48
Original post by eXemp
i dont agree tbh. There are different Kind of gamers :

Casual
Hardcore
Pro

Pro gamers = E-sport Gamers who play for top teams
Casual is maybe the angry bird references
Hardcore = This is the difficult one. In my opinion , you would need to have played ATLEAST 3 games in Each genre to class yourself "hardcore" .

Complete load of rubbish.
Original post by eXemp
Most of the gamers out there would be happy enough to have met another gamer... they wont care what gender you are.

As long as they are not a 12 year old boy who has not slept with my mum.
Reply 50
You're either a girl gamer, or a gamer.

A girl gamer is a certain breed of attention seeker that expects guys to be awed because she manages to use her opposable thumbs without her boobs getting in the way.

For example, I am a gamer, that happens to be a girl. Not a girl gamer.

This. I've played games for well over a decade and only in the past few years have I seen the whole ~girl gamer~ thing come about.

As for me, I play WoW. Never been into console gaming apart from old consoles when I was a kid, I guess.
Original post by mythtakes
This. I've played games for well over a decade and only in the past few years have I seen the whole ~girl gamer~ thing come about.

As for me, I play WoW. Never been into console gaming apart from old consoles when I was a kid, I guess.

The few times I've played on Xbox Live (long story) I never used the mic. I didn't want people to know I was a girl. I just wanted to be abother player :dontknow:

I think it's because being a gamer is seen as a good thing now, the same way being geeky or nerdy is now "cool" and people buy t-shirts because their glassless glasses aren't nerdy enough.
Reply 52
Original post by Reckless13
Hello,

Is there any more girl gamers out there?

I'm a girl gamer and most people seem shocked when I tell them as if its not natural because I don't 'look or act like one'. Would be nice to be able to talk to people who don't judge because I don't look or act like a stereotypical gamer.

Anyone else coming across this?

Looking at your photo. Yes you do.
Reply 53
The few times I've played on Xbox Live (long story) I never used the mic. I didn't want people to know I was a girl. I just wanted to be abother player :dontknow:

I think it's because being a gamer is seen as a good thing now, the same way being geeky or nerdy is now "cool" and people buy t-shirts because their glassless glasses aren't nerdy enough.

Yeah, I don't like being bothered either. One of my character's names on WoW is a variant of my first name so I've had a lot of "are you a girl??" messages...I never reply cause what's the point? So I can have a pointless conversation about my gender? :no:

Probably, yeah...you can always tell the "real" gamers to the posers though :biggrin:
Reply 54
Original post by eXemp
this will sound VERY sexist (but believe me im not! ) but since the OP said she plays League Of Legends do you main lux/lulu? :biggrin: OR just main support?

VERY few girl gamers in my time in League (3 years) have been able to play any other role/champion. Its either maining support , or playing lux mid.

Mainly play ADC :smile: I like Vayne
Reply 55
Original post by Reckless13
Mainly play ADC :smile: I like Vayne

vayne doesnt count as an adc -.-
FFS, not another one of these.
Reply 57
Go mmorpg's
Original post by eXemp
vayne doesnt count as an adc -.-

Err... http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/ADC
Reply 59

no i mean in LoL community : anyone who says "i main adc" and names Vayne gets laughed at. Because she is so easy anyone can play vayne.

Latest