The Student Room Group

UKMT Maths Competitions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by metaltron
Hi,

I can't wait either :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Last year was bad for me (11/60) but I'm hoping that will just make this year even more special :biggrin: .

Also, I should have introduced myself earlier, since I am applying to the same college as you!

Well after qualifying for BMO2 last year I have a lot to live up to, I always seem to be under pressure for something maths-related :P

Ahh, another prospective Trinitarian! The best college, of course :wink: Hope STEP/interview preparation is going well for you- what are your grades/UMS, if I may ask? Good luck with everything :biggrin:
Original post by Ben385
Well after qualifying for BMO2 last year I have a lot to live up to, I always seem to be under pressure for something maths-related :P

Ahh, another prospective Trinitarian! The best college, of course :wink: Hope STEP/interview preparation is going well for you- what are your grades/UMS, if I may ask? Good luck with everything :biggrin:

Yes , of course, the best college :smile: Congratulations on getting to BMO2 last year, hope you did well and enjoyed the problems!

I'm a bit worried about how bad my score was last year compared to other people applying, but I'm hoping I will be able to make it up somehow (interview or this year's BMO1 perhaps?)!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ben385

Congratulations on your Warwick offer too. What other unis are you applying to, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by 0x2a
Oh I see, thanks for pointing it out :smile:

You're welcome :smile:

How's geometry going at the moment?
Reply 64
You're welcome :smile:

How's geometry going at the moment?

I've been able to solve another BMO2 geometry problem, but no further progress on PEG atm :/
Original post by 0x2a
I've been able to solve another BMO2 geometry problem, but no further progress on PEG atm :/

I think doing BMO problems is the best way to practice, so well done on that BMO2 problem. I will try to work through PEG in October half-term.
Reply 66
I think doing BMO problems is the best way to practice, so well done on that BMO2 problem. I will try to work through PEG in October half-term.

Thanks. Just doing the problems is much better than learning bunch of theory really, it's a more "active" approach I guess. I have a 2 week half term! But I'll have to revise for my November mocks so I'll be distracted :lol:
Reply 67
This is actually me being freakishly dumb but can anybody help with question 1 from the November 2010 UKMT paper. I don't understand the solution or the question really
Reply 68
Original post by Robbie242
This is actually me being freakishly dumb but can anybody help with question 1 from the November 2010 UKMT paper. I don't understand the solution or the question really

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Congratulations on your Warwick offer too. What other unis are you applying to, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Thanks! I'm also applying to Imperial, Bath and Bristol (although now I have the Warwick offer I won't end up at any of them). I saw your grades- truly outstanding! Your UMS is much higher than mine (94%) too :P I'm just hoping that having A*A* achieved will make up for my lower than average UMS, but it's all a balancing game and I'm not really sure how they weigh up different things :s-smilie: It's all gonna be about the interview I guess, so that's what I'm focusing on now :biggrin:
Original post by Ben385
Thanks! I'm also applying to Imperial, Bath and Bristol (although now I have the Warwick offer I won't end up at any of them). I saw your grades- truly outstanding! Your UMS is much higher than mine (94%) too :P I'm just hoping that having A*A* achieved will make up for my lower than average UMS, but it's all a balancing game and I'm not really sure how they weigh up different things :s-smilie: It's all gonna be about the interview I guess, so that's what I'm focusing on now :biggrin:

Wow, I'm also applying to Warwick, Bath and Bristol, not Imperial though as I have Durham instead. Thanks for the kind words :smile: I'm sure it will all be down to the interview as long as your grades are good. Did you fill in the Optional Additional PS in the SAQ? :smile:
Reply 71
Wow, I'm also applying to Warwick, Bath and Bristol, not Imperial though as I have Durham instead. Thanks for the kind words :smile: I'm sure it will all be down to the interview as long as your grades are good. Did you fill in the Optional Additional PS in the SAQ? :smile:

I was thinking about Durham, but didn't want to go too far north (I live on the Isle of Wight and all my family live in the south) :smile: I didn't fill it in, there's only so many times you can paraphrase 'I love maths', and I fitted in pretty much all my achievements on my PS :tongue:
I have never qualified for BMO - I only achieved a measly silver last year because I decided that staying up all night on the laptop was more important than the SMC but Diophantine equation questions on BMO1 are gems. I know, I know, rubbish.
I really want to qualify for at least the Kangaroo this year although I've done the Intermediate one twice, even if it doesn't make a difference to my UCAS application. I enjoy number theory and algebra but I really don't like geometry because I suck at it, which is a shame because a lot of the harder questions on the SMC are geometry based. ;( Drawing all those extra lines and using circle theorems was never my sort of thing. I think I'm getting better at them though.
Reply 73
Original post by yl95
I have never qualified for BMO - I only achieved a measly silver last year because I decided that staying up all night on the laptop was more important than the SMC but Diophantine equation questions on BMO1 are gems. I know, I know, rubbish.
I really want to qualify for at least the Kangaroo this year although I've done the Intermediate one twice, even if it doesn't make a difference to my UCAS application. I enjoy number theory and algebra but I really don't like geometry because I suck at it, which is a shame because a lot of the harder questions on the SMC are geometry based. ;( Drawing all those extra lines and using circle theorems was never my sort of thing. I think I'm getting better at them though.

I love Diophantine equations :ahee:

I've always liked geometry, for me it's a lot more easier than counting problems or trying to bash inequalities. Also the more I do geometry the more I like it :tongue:
Reply 74
Original post by majmuh24
I'm in Year 11 and been entered into the Senior Maths Challenge, what do you think about this? I the intermediate and junior ones I always got a gold and qualified for the next round, but I'm afraid that this one will be too hard for me...:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you solve AMC 12-type problems:
http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/resources.php?c=182&cid=44&sid=1f7ddf0a4530ff31d13ad0e865007357
If yes then definitely go for the senior. Otherwise I think it's better to do the intermediate and get a fairly good score rather than gtting a normal/low score on the senior one.

(for practice I highly recommend the book "aops volume 1" - that should make SMC seem trivial when it comes round.)
Reply 75
Just wondering if anyone has any links to copies of the SMC which have either a separate pdf for the answers or they are at the the bottom of the file as I like to pretend to do it under exam conditions so like to come back to questions but I can't if i see the answer after each one.
Reply 76
Original post by kylerfc
Just wondering if anyone has any links to copies of the SMC which have either a separate pdf for the answers or they are at the the bottom of the file as I like to pretend to do it under exam conditions so like to come back to questions but I can't if i see the answer after each one.

Hey I have SMC answers from 1997 to 2006, so if you complete one of those papers I can send you the answers by PM. I won't post it directly on here since this is a UKMT book I bought and I'm sure the UKMT won't appreciate the fact that I'm spreading around the answers everywhere :tongue:
Reply 77
Original post by 0x2a
Hey I have SMC answers from 1997 to 2006, so if you complete one of those papers I can send you the answers by PM. I won't post it directly on here since this is a UKMT book I bought and I'm sure the UKMT won't appreciate the fact that I'm spreading around the answers everywhere :tongue:

If i need the answers i will PM you. The problem is more getting the actual questions without seeing the answers as i go like what happens on the OP's link and the ukmt website.
Reply 78
Original post by kylerfc
If i need the answers i will PM you. The problem is more getting the actual questions without seeing the answers as i go like what happens on the OP's link and the ukmt website.

Hey I've scanned in the 1997 SMC paper for you, tell me if you need the answers and I'll PM :smile:

23-10-2013 19;25;28.jpg23-10-2013 19;26;27.jpg23-10-2013 19;30;46.jpg

Sorry about the quality, my scanner isn't that great :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by 0x2a
Hey I've scanned in the 1997 SMC paper for you, tell me if you need the answers and I'll PM :smile:

23-10-2013 19;25;28.jpg23-10-2013 19;26;27.jpg23-10-2013 19;30;46.jpg

Sorry about the quality, my scanner isn't that great :tongue:

That is brilliant thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending