The Student Room Group

Completing the square

Ive just learnt about completing the square, and I understand how we do it. But I don't get why we do it? can someone explain this to me? I have a question that Ive answered and was wondering if you could refer to this write in the form of (x+p)squared + q xsquared +8x+15 I did (x+4)squared-1... thanks :-):smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 1
It's handy for solving and plotting quadratic equations. If you complete the square of ax2+bx+cax^2 + bx + c and rearrange you get the quadratic formula :smile:
Try rearranging s=ut+12at2s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 for t :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by artymaniac
Ive just learnt about completing the square, and I understand how we do it. But I don't get why we do it? can someone explain this to me? I have a question that Ive answered and was wondering if you could refer to this write in the form of (x+p)squared + q xsquared +8x+15 I did (x+4)squared-1... thanks :-):smile::smile::smile::smile:

Your answer is correct, and it's useful for plotting points as said above, and at a level it's used to find minimum points of graphs.
Reply 4
Original post by ChildishHambino
Your answer is correct, and it's useful for plotting points as said above, and at a level it's used to find minimum points of graphs.
thank you everyone that's useful to know:smile:
Its a simpler way (in some regards) of solving quadratics and finding minimum points.

Still I find it rather useless, much preferring to solve using the formula and find minimum points via differentiation and stationary points.
Reply 6
Original post by arkanm
If we didn't know how to complete the swquare, we wouldn't be able to get the quadratic formula basically.

I found a way of deriving it without completing the square, but it is ridiculously unintuitive. I much prefer the conpleting the square method.:smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Krollo
I found a way of deriving it without completing the square, but it is ridiculously unintuitive. I much prefer the conpleting the square method.:smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please share!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
OK...
[br]ax2+bx+c=0[br]4a2x2+4abx+4ac=0[br]4a2x2+4abx+4ac+b2=b2[br]4a2x2+4abx+b2=b24ac[br]2ax+b=±b24ac[br]2ax=b±b24ac[br]x=b±b24ac2a[br][br]ax^{2} + bx + c =0[br]4a^{2}x^{2} + 4abx + 4ac = 0[br]4a^{2}x^{2} + 4abx + 4ac + b^{2} = b^{2}[br]4a^{2}x^{2} + 4abx + b^{2} = b^{2} - 4ac[br]2ax + b = \pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}[br]2ax = -b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}[br]x = \dfrac {-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}[br]
Replace + at the end with plus/minus, don't know how to do it in latex!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Krollo
OK...
[br]ax2+bx+c=0[br]4a2x2+4abx+4ac=0[br]4a2x2+4abx+4ac+b2=b2[br]4a2x2+4abx+b2=b24ac[br]2ax+b=±b24ac[br]2ax=b±b24ac[br]x=b±b24ac2a[br][br]ax^{2} + bx + c =0[br]4a^{2}x^{2} + 4abx + 4ac = 0[br]4a^{2}x^{2} + 4abx + 4ac + b^{2} = b^{2}[br]4a^{2}x^{2} + 4abx + b^{2} = b^{2} - 4ac[br]2ax + b = \pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}[br]2ax = -b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}[br]x = \dfrac {-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}[br]
Replace + at the end with plus/minus, don't know how to do it in latex!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but how did you get from step 4 to step 5? (I don't know how to use latex) I don't understand how you got 2ax + b = square root of 4a^2x^2 + 4abx + b^2. I know this is true, simply by plugging in some made up values, but how did you get there via algebra?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by SheldonWannabe
Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but how did you get from step 4 to step 5? (I don't know how to use latex) I don't understand how you got 2ax + b = square root of 4a^2x^2 + 4abx + b^2. I know this is true, simply by plugging in some made up values, but how did you get there via algebra?

I'm sure there's a 'proper' way but I just did it by inspection. In that situation you know that 4a^2x^2 when started is equal to 2ax, and b^2 sqrted is obviously b, so if you test (2ax+b)^2 you can see that it works. In all truth to get this I worked backwards from the quadratic formula, and it is appreciably easier that way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Krollo
I'm sure there's a 'proper' way but I just did it by inspection. In that situation you know that 4a^2x^2 when started is equal to 2ax, and b^2 sqrted is obviously b, so if you test (2ax+b)^2 you can see that it works. In all truth to get this I worked backwards from the quadratic formula, and it is appreciably easier that way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your method is essentially the same as the 'usual' way of deriving the quadratic formula. The step from line 4 to line 5 is exactly completing the square, you have missed an intermediate step which would read:

(2ax+b)^2=b^2 -4ac

which is the form that you work towards in a completing the square problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending