The Student Room Group

Bringing a bike to uni. Yay or nay?

Poll

Well......?

Basically, I'm considering bringing my bike from home. It takes me 15-20 minutes to get to the Pharmacy department from my halls and the lecture theatres are also 10-15 minutes, so would you recommend it or not? Also I could go to the town centre which is 20-25 minutes walking for food shopping. Also there's plenty of secure bike sheds in my halls.

Opinions will be needed!

Cheers

James

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
London, yay.

anywhere else, nay.
Reply 2
Yo, do what is better for you.
Depends, where you off too? Personally I'd bring it and just leave it in the bike shed.
Reply 4
Yay for anywhere really.
Yay.

I started cycling at uni over very similar distances, and despite being on the busiest bus route in Europe, it's much quicker, more convenient and generally preferable to getting the bus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do it!

You'll save a lot of money, it's fun and you can take it for a spin at weekends. No brainer.
Reply 7
I'd say yes. Having a bike is good for your health, it'll cut down on your travelling times, it's a godsend if you need to quickly to dash to uni/the city centre/shops/etc. and you'll save money as you won't need to use taxis, buses or cars.
Reply 8
There's a secure place to keep your bike, and you've said everything is within a reasonable distance for you to cycle to them. I think the answer may be in what you've already told us OP.
I've just started at Cardiff and although I walk with people to lectures the bike is still really handy, for example I got back from a histology lecture this morning and realised I needed some apples, milk etc. so I jumped on the bike up to the shops - if I walked it would have taken much longer.

Just ensure you have a decent lock and wear a helmet :smile:
Reply 10
I've seen many using bikes at Nottingham Uni, the campus is really big though. As long as you can safely store it I think you should bring it.
Reply 11
Original post by James A
Basically, I'm considering bringing my bike from home. It takes me 15-20 minutes to get to the Pharmacy department from my halls and the lecture theatres are also 10-15 minutes, so would you recommend it or not? Also I could go to the town centre which is 20-25 minutes walking for food shopping. Also there's plenty of secure bike sheds in my halls.

Opinions will be needed!

Cheers

James

Obviously you get the pro's, quicker travel between places, etc
But you would need more than a trip to get it back home during summer along with the rest of your belongings.
Also insurance needs to be updated.

You'd also miss out on the social aspect to know people if they are going to class by bus/walking and going back to halls or to town.
Original post by James A

Opinions will be needed!

Cheers

James

There appears to be some confusion. Can you specify whether the "bike" is of the motorised or pedal variety?
Reply 13
Original post by Iqbal007
But you would need more than a trip to get it back home during summer along with the rest of your belongings.

You'd also miss out on the social aspect to know people if they are going to class by bus/walking and going back to halls or to town.

tbh, Reading is 1 and a half hours from my house by car, so it wouldn't be a problem taking the bike back to London.
Reply 14
Original post by Sammydemon
There appears to be some confusion. Can you specify whether the "bike" is of the motorised or pedal variety?

Pedal.

Well of course I ain't gonna bring a motorised one. Goes without saying, from the point of view of a uni student. How often do you see uni students using motorised bikes when travelling about?
(edited 10 years ago)

I've managed to get everything in the back of the family car, including my hybrid, with everything else in there too. I usually take it home for xmas and easter too - two panniers on the back have everything I need in there (40L total; with the use of a holdall and a set of bungee cords I could get more on with ease), and then take it home on the train. I've even taken it on work trips!

I've never bought insurance for it - it's a decent bike but due to an unusual set of circumstances I doubt they'd ever pay out what it was worth.

I'm not convinced by the whole social thing - whilst it can be sociable, I've never lived with people doing the same modules, so we've always gone to uni at different times, hence the bus was never really a social thing for me anyway.

Original post by James A
Pedal.

Well of course I ain't gonna bring a motorised one. Goes without saying, from the point of view of a uni student.

Your avatar is confusing :tongue:
Reply 16
I use mine at least twice a day! Several hundred pounds of bus fares saved :wink: Just make sure it's insured, especially if it is / looks expensive, and get a proper D lock, the cable ones aren't much of a deterrent really.
edit - a proper helmet and good lights should go without saying!
Reply 17
Original post by Origami Bullets
I've managed to get everything in the back of the family car, including my hybrid, with everything else in there too. I usually take it home for xmas and easter too - two panniers on the back have everything I need in there (40L total; with the use of a holdall and a set of bungee cords I could get more on with ease), and then take it home on the train. I've even taken it on work trips!

I've never bought insurance for it - it's a decent bike but due to an unusual set of circumstances I doubt they'd ever pay out what it was worth.

I'm not convinced by the whole social thing - whilst it can be sociable, I've never lived with people doing the same modules, so we've always gone to uni at different times, hence the bus was never really a social thing for me anyway.

Your avatar is confusing :tongue:

Original post by James A
tbh, Reading is 1 and a half hours from my house by car, so it wouldn't be a problem taking the bike back to London.

oh i thought he was talking about the other type of bike the motorbike........its hard to tell when his profile has a motorbike as well loooool naturally assumed something else.

Well a bike would be fine to bring to uni, just make sure to get the right type of lock for it, especially if you plan on leaving it outside your halls.
(edited 10 years ago)
oh i thought he was talking about the other type of bike the motorbike........its hard to tell when his profile has a motorbike as well loooool naturally assumed something else.

Well a bike would be fine to bring to uni, just make sure to get the right type of lock for it, especially if you plan on leaving it outside your halls.

Definitely - anything that doesn't have a D-Lock is liable to get nicked very quickly around here. I know someone who bought a brand new bike, locked it up with a cable, and it was gone within a day of her having bought it...
I voted yes, but with the requirement that the bike is fully insured and locked with an approved D-Lock plus another secondary lock. Otherwise, it's a no.

I cycle in every day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending