The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blackrose96
I've completed my pre-enrolment and chosen my electives, but I skipped the picture for my Keele card as no picture could fit or it wasn't in the right format. Now I've finished everything else, I can't find how to get back to doing the picture. Does anyone know how to? Or will I just have to have my picture taken on the 27th?

I had this problem and what I had to do was make the picture really really tiny so the size of the file was small enough. It took quite a few trys but it worked in the end. Just keep on making it smaller :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 1661
Original post by blackrose96
I've completed my pre-enrolment and chosen my electives, but I skipped the picture for my Keele card as no picture could fit or it wasn't in the right format. Now I've finished everything else, I can't find how to get back to doing the picture. Does anyone know how to? Or will I just have to have my picture taken on the 27th?

I have like a relatively old windows computer and managed to do it, I cropped the photo to my face and then in editing there's a resize option which I kept using until I got down to 40kb(or mb?) I think the limit is so small as to make it the right size for the card but I'm just guessing, no worries though they said its fine to wait too :smile:
I've been offered accommodation at the oaks and the room number begins with 1, so does it mean i'm on the first floor or does it mean i'm on the ground floor?
And also does anyone know how is the accommodation like?
Original post by jackline420
I've been offered accommodation at the oaks and the room number begins with 1, so does it mean i'm on the first floor or does it mean i'm on the ground floor?
And also does anyone know how is the accommodation like?

your best bet pf getting a decent answer is to look and join their facebook page. Also there are loads of current students on the official keele 2014 group.

Hope this helps.
Is anybody on here thinking of doing the year abroad? If so how do people finance it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the uni pays for your accommodation and course you just have to pay for the flight - that's what I got told. The only confusing thing is whether or not you have to take the "study abroad" elective: some 2nd and 3rd years say you have to, others say you don't...so i'm gunna email the head of electives tomorrow and find out! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nerdy_girl
I think the uni pays for your accommodation and course you just have to pay for the flight - that's what I got told. The only confusing thing is whether or not you have to take the "study abroad" elective: some 2nd and 3rd years say you have to, others say you don't...so i'm gunna email the head of electives tomorrow and find out! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by C0nfused_Student
Is anybody on here thinking of doing the year abroad? If so how do people finance it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do have to take the module if you want to go abroad.
Your tuition fees are unaffected - SFE still pays them with the loan and you get exactly what you get at Keele in terms of student loan. You pay for your own accommodation abroad - you just use your loan. There are some bursaries available but not from Keele I don't think. SFE gives you a travel grant if you're going really far afield and you're eligible. The university can tell you more though :-) You'll have to pay for the flight, accommodation, food, everything while you're over there. Basically the same as at Keele but in another country.
Then, i'm really confused because some people say you don't have to; (and they still went) they just advise you to take it, that's what it says on the electives module page as well. Sooo confused!!
I don't have the study abroad elective option yet I can do it with my course I'm confused :s-smilie:
Can you study abroad only in your second year or could you do it any year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then, i'm really confused because some people say you don't have to; (and they still went) they just advise you to take it, that's what it says on the electives module page as well. Sooo confused!!

Original post by C0nfused_Student
Can you study abroad only in your second year or could you do it any year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's generally recommend and processes your application quicker. In my course though we were told it's compulsory if you want to study abroad :dontknow:

I've only ever heard of anyone doing it in second year; third year is too important to miss and obviously you can't do first year.
What course did you do Kate?
What course did you do Kate?

I take English
Aaah ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you mind sharing what he/she says once you've asked, please? I'm desperate to know whether it's mandatory or not :biggrin:
Reply 1675

Posted from TSR Mobile

The uni doesn't pay for your accommodation - it works the same as you studying at Keele where you would pay your accommodation fees. SFE will pay Keele directly the fees of the course and you won't have to worry about paying the uni abroad the course fees. You also have to pay for the flight - however if you qualify for a maintenance grant then SFE will cover part of your flight cost (at least they did this year) if you provide them with the evidence of the cost of it.

In regards to the module, I highly recommend you take it. They pair you up with everyone who is going to your university and you get to meet and get to know other students from Keele who will be abroad with you. Also you spend a lot of time with the study abroad advisers who generally run these sessions. The module really isn't difficult either, the assessment included a portfolio where you basically just had to answer questions based on your host country, write down your goals for going there, and interview a student who went to that same university, and a current student from that university who is at Keele at the moment. Then you have to do a group presentation with the other students going to your university, and just present to about 20 other people explaining and giving a 'tourist guide' to the area you'll be going to.

So basically, taking the module would be best imo. Doing the solo route and having to work out the visa process, etc all on your own is a lot more effort. Plus it's nicer to meet people you'd be going abroad with. Also if you have any more questions feel free to drop me a PM or just quote me :smile:
Thanks for clearing that up!
I've chosen the study abroad module, it's looks quite fun tbh and I'd like resaecprch where I'd be living:smile: does anybody know how long you're out there for if you go America like a come back date/fly lit date?
Reply 1678
Original post by BethanyLM
I've chosen the study abroad module, it's looks quite fun tbh and I'd like resaecprch where I'd be living:smile: does anybody know how long you're out there for if you go America like a come back date/fly lit date?

It varies depending on which country and university you go to. Most people doing study abroad will only go out for the first semester, so leave in August/September and come back around Christmas time. There is the option to stay for the whole year, or only go out for the second semester but that all depends on your subject really.
Was anybody else unable to get a freshers pass due to the website being a total failure? -.-

Has everyone got a pass and do most people usually get one? I don't want to be the odd one out, having to wait in line to get in somewhere/possibly not even getting in at all whilst everyone else who I'v gone out with have a pass.

What are my options?

Quick Reply

Latest