The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

ECA Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I've applied for Illustration :smile: Got till the 28th Jan for my portfolio..I'm so worried I haven't even started putting things together! Though I need to get a move on because I have Portsmouth's deadline of the 2nd December for my portfolio :s-smilie: Ahh, my grades are fine Im predicted AAB but Im just so worried that my artwork isn't up to scratch and I wont have any offers whatsoever!!

Im also kinda worried because my work is more towards Fine Art but I dont like the course of fine art with it being more of your own direction rather than briefs etc, so Im nervous they wont consider me for illustration because my work is so different :frown:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
Original post by Caroline680
I've applied for Illustration :smile: Got till the 28th Jan for my portfolio..I'm so worried I haven't even started putting things together! Though I need to get a move on because I have Portsmouth's deadline of the 2nd December for my portfolio :s-smilie: Ahh, my grades are fine Im predicted AAB but Im just so worried that my artwork isn't up to scratch and I wont have any offers whatsoever!!

Im also kinda worried because my work is more towards Fine Art but I dont like the course of fine art with it being more of your own direction rather than briefs etc, so Im nervous they wont consider me for illustration because my work is so different :frown:

I'm kind of in the same problem, I feel my portfolio will be more illustration based and that the painting course won't consider me as much as the illustration department will... is the 28th of Jan the dead-line for the online mini-portfolio?
Reply 22
28th January is the deadline for all art courses in ECA as far as I know!
I'm applying to Fine Art and General Art for first year so my portfolio work is pretty much geared towards those..
That being said, my portfolio is so inconsistent.. There's no theme or similarities between any of the pieces. I hope it doesn't work against me.
Yeah for my portfolio Im trying to put in like studysheets and sketchbook work which was used as development work for my final piece .. idk I always feel like im not good enough..not very good when you have to big yourself up and sell yourself in interviews!!

What other Unis have you guys applied for? Ive got ECA, Camberwell (unlikely as I have no foundation), Brighton, CSAD, Portsmouth
Reply 24
ECA. Glasgow, Dundee, Abertay, and not sure about my last one yet
Ah I would have loved to apply to Glasgow but they didnt offer the right course :rolleyes:
Reply 26
Your'e applying for Illustration right? Visual Communication is illustration in GSA :smile: I'm applying to that one
Reply 27
I'm only applying to Edinburgh and Glasgow.. And Glasgow is really just a backup plan. If I don't get in to ECA I'll stay in Ireland, do a portfolio year and re apply next year!
Original post by Edenre
Your'e applying for Illustration right? Visual Communication is illustration in GSA :smile: I'm applying to that one

Ah man :redface: Too late my UCAS has been sent off, but Im happy with my choices anyway so :colondollar:
Reply 29
Just sent of my UCAS for illustration at ECA, also applied to Com design at Glasgow and grays, Illustration at UWE and foundation at dundee. How is everyone's portfolios coming along? I'm in a bit of a panic.
Original post by hsz
Just sent of my UCAS for illustration at ECA, also applied to Com design at Glasgow and grays, Illustration at UWE and foundation at dundee. How is everyone's portfolios coming along? I'm in a bit of a panic.

Awesome :smile: I sent off my portfolio for portsmouth last week..turns out they didnt receive my email so i sent them a link again today. Sigh. Hope they dont penalise me :/

Im freaking out because I have an interview at CSAD on Thursday and I feel like when I get there my stuff will be s*** compared to everyone else!!! Plus its my first interview..anyway, fingers crossed. I just need to finish stuff... :colondollar:
Reply 31
You'll do fine, don't worry. Lots of schools look for potential and ideas rather than just skills, it's about what they can teach you. (or at least, that's what my teacher said haha) it's great that you've done it already too! :smile:

Do you lot have deviantarts/blogs etc?
Reply 32
Original post by hsz
Do you lot have deviantarts/blogs etc?

http://www.facebook.com/Edensillustrations?ref=hl Thats my facebook page, hadn't uploaded in a while until today, got more stuff to go up soon :biggrin:

Original post by hsz

I applied to the same courses at ECA, GSA and Dundee :biggrin:
I'm in a panic too, I'm just doing some expressive paintings, but at least its only the mini that has to be up for the end of January :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Edenre
http://www.facebook.com/Edensillustrations?ref=hl Thats my facebook page, hadn't uploaded in a while until today, got more stuff to go up soon :biggrin:

Wow your illustrations are really great! I like the clay 3D thing you did it's so cool! I need to start scanning all my work up.....

i made a vine of some of my portfolio.. It's absolutely nowhere near done :-( https://vine.co/v/hQQMzhFPYg3

i really wanna see everybody else's work this is so exciting!
Helllooo I'm applying for both Illustration and Graphic Design at ECA too but my UCAS hasn't even been sent off yet, my school are messing around! Do you instantly get asked to submit a portfolio/do you have any interviews or whatever? :smile:
Reply 35
aw everyone's work is so different and varied, lots of good technical skills! My portfolio is a bit of a mess at the moment but I have digital work at http://blackcubes.tumblr.com/
Reply 36
Original post by elinorod
Wow your illustrations are really great! I like the clay 3D thing you did it's so cool! I need to start scanning all my work up.....

i made a vine of some of my portfolio.. It's absolutely nowhere near done :-( https://vine.co/v/hQQMzhFPYg3

i really wanna see everybody else's work this is so exciting!

Thank you ^_^, your stuffs really cool too, you have so much to put in, I still need to do quite a bit xD

Original post by hollyshearn
Helllooo I'm applying for both Illustration and Graphic Design at ECA too but my UCAS hasn't even been sent off yet, my school are messing around! Do you instantly get asked to submit a portfolio/do you have any interviews or whatever? :smile:

I got asked for a mini portfolio off ECA straight away, so I think it's the same for everyone :smile:
Original post by Edenre
Thank you ^_^, your stuffs really cool too, you have so much to put in, I still need to do quite a bit xD

I got asked for a mini portfolio off ECA straight away, so I think it's the same for everyone :smile:

Ah I see! All a bit confusing! What are you submitting as your artist research stuff? Bit confused
Um this is my online portfolio xD http://www.flickr.com/photos/91915850@N04/sets/72157638110499415/ I have like 3 coursework books to go with it and a few more pieces but yeah :s-smilie: /so not illustratey/
I've applied for Animation but the portfolio and low offer rate is worrying me! I got AAABB last year so I think my grades are alright, but I feel as if I should upload a video too, but I've only ever attempted animation a handful of times and even then they were disasters. All of my folio work so far is my AH work which is all expressive, so paintings, pencil work, some clay, life drawings etc. and it's pretty much all portraiture so far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending