The Student Room Group

Gap Year

Hey! :smile: I started uni this year, but I realised that it wasn't right for me, so I'm taking a gap year and reapplying next year for zoology/ecology. Has anyone got any suggestions of where I could go? Or any experiences that they could share with me? Also, I'm going to go with a company, does anyone know of a really good one?

Hope this all makes sense! Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've heard good things about Gap 360 and I think I will probably go through them. Avoid Real Gap as I read reviews that it was a scam. Also maybe consider Camp America?
Reply 2
Thanks :smile: I'll look into both of those! What are you planning to do on your gap year?
Reply 3
how about CRY , World Vision, Missionaries of Charity in India ? NGOs
Reply 4
Original post by amzzi
Hey! :smile: I started uni this year, but I realised that it wasn't right for me, so I'm taking a gap year and reapplying next year for zoology/ecology. Has anyone got any suggestions of where I could go? Or any experiences that they could share with me? Also, I'm going to go with a company, does anyone know of a really good one?

Hope this all makes sense! Thanks!

Hey...
whats your plan?
I went to India to volunteer. And I really loved it. the organization combined traveling, culture with volunteering. it was really great. maybe its something for you. ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Bonmot
how about CRY , World Vision, Missionaries of Charity in India ? NGOs

Reply 6
Original post by Petricia
Hey...
whats your plan?
I went to India to volunteer. And I really loved it. the organization combined traveling, culture with volunteering. it was really great. maybe its something for you. ?

I'm not really sure yet!
Ooohhh! That sounds awesome! What company did you go with? What kind of stuff did you do?
Reply 7
Original post by amzzi
I'm not really sure yet!
Ooohhh! That sounds awesome! What company did you go with? What kind of stuff did you do?

I actually found a organization myself, so I didn't go with one of the big companies. I went with a organization called STEP. I can send you the webiste if you interested. It is a really nice place. I worked at primary school in the morning, where I was teaching english to the kids, and in the afternoon we went to disabled school. It was so nice, and they make sure that you learn about India, through Hindi and cooking workshops. I really loved it. And it is the best experience of my life. :smile: You welcome to ask any questions you might have.
Reply 8
I'm doing the same but next year and I want to do zoology or ecology too! Or conservation biology
I've been wanting to do a conservation volunteering placement but finding ones which genuinely contribute to real conservation is pretty difficult!
Good luck with finding the best program for you :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I actually found a organization myself, so I didn't go with one of the big companies. I went with a organization called STEP. I can send you the webiste if you interested. It is a really nice place. I worked at primary school in the morning, where I was teaching english to the kids, and in the afternoon we went to disabled school. It was so nice, and they make sure that you learn about India, through Hindi and cooking workshops. I really loved it. And it is the best experience of my life. :smile: You welcome to ask any questions you might have.

That sounds amazing! :smile: when did you go? could you send me the link?

Reply 10
Original post by marii7
I'm doing the same but next year and I want to do zoology or ecology too! Or conservation biology
I've been wanting to do a conservation volunteering placement but finding ones which genuinely contribute to real conservation is pretty difficult!
Good luck with finding the best program for you :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any idea which uni you want to go to? :smile:

I know! That's my problem! If you find any, let me know!
Reply 11
Original post by amzzi
That sounds amazing! :smile: when did you go? could you send me the link?

It really was amazing. I went first time in 2011, but have been back few times because I am completely in love with India. The website is: www.stepvolunteer.com
When are you thinking of going?
Reply 12
Original post by amzzi
Any idea which uni you want to go to? :smile:

I know! That's my problem! If you find any, let me know!

Aberdeen I think :smile: it's the only Scottish uni with a conservation biology course so yup, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
It really was amazing. I went first time in 2011, but have been back few times because I am completely in love with India. The website is: www.stepvolunteer.com
When are you thinking of going?

Wow! Thanks, I'll have a look! :smile:

Probably February/march next year! Are you planning on going back again?
Reply 14
Original post by marii7
Aberdeen I think :smile: it's the only Scottish uni with a conservation biology course so yup, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow! I'm thinking of Brighton to study Ecology :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by amzzi
Wow! Thanks, I'll have a look! :smile:

Probably February/march next year! Are you planning on going back again?

Yes, I am going back in December! I really look forward to being with all the kids again and being in India. February is the best time to go to India. (if you end up going here) Thats also the time for the big festival Holi, have you heard about it?
Reply 16
Original post by amzzi
Thanks :smile: I'll look into both of those! What are you planning to do on your gap year?

I'm not planning on going to uni yet, I'm finishing my A2's then saving up money to go to Bali for 10 days then working in Australia for a year, maybe longer if I like it/can extend my visa :rolleyes: So excited!! :biggrin:
I'm going through Gap360 :smile:
Reply 17
Yes, I am going back in December! I really look forward to being with all the kids again and being in India. February is the best time to go to India. (if you end up going here) Thats also the time for the big festival Holi, have you heard about it?

Oh wow ! Have an amazing time! Yes, I've heard about it. I'll definitely look into it, thanks! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by amzzi
Oh wow ! Have an amazing time! Yes, I've heard about it. I'll definitely look into it, thanks! :smile:

Thank you. If you end up going there you can ask anything! I can really recommend it! Good luck with anything you choose. :smile:
Reply 19
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest