The Student Room Group

Possible to live off a diet of soup, sandwiches and shakes?

If any of you have seen my blog on here you'll be aware of my dire situation concerning the gym and my cooking facilities (takes about 30 minutes to boil water, then when you put the pasta in, it cools the water down and takes about 5+ minutes to boil again, by which time the pasta has a nice gummy texture), eggs are essentially impossible, boiled eggs require pin point timing, too hard on these ****ty hobs, and omelettes, my usual staple breakfast, take too long, I used to be up and ready in 30 minutes, but now it takes about an hour if I want an omelette)

So I've decided to have cereal for breakfast, like weetabix (since porridge is also out of the question since it involves heat)

Basically anything that requires heat is out of the question for me since I hate microwaved food.

I have a slow cooker so I plan on making batches of chicken breasts, stews and soups, then I'll put the chicken in sandwiches and put the stews/soups in a flask and take it into campus with me.

I'll likely have a shake of bananas x2, protein powder, milk and peanut butter as a shake each morning or evening as well.

So essentially my diet will consist of soups and sandwiches and shakes...excluding the bowl of cereal in the morning.

If I eat 4 other fruits a day, I should get the vegetables x5 a day with the sandwiches and soups.

Does this seem like a legit plan?

Anyone know any good high calorie soups I could make?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sounds crap imo. just prep your meals
Original post by smd4std
sounds crap imo. just prep your meals

but why?

What wrong with replacing chicken pasta salad with chicken and salad between slices of bread?

Or having minestrone soup in stead of pasta.

I haven't the time to prep this year. I have no oven, so no baking, no grill, so no grilling, no hobs (since they are unpredictable and take too long to use). I'm not spending an hour to do a task (eg pasta) that should take 15-18 minutes because my kitchen lacks appliances from the 21st century.
I'm reading this at 12 minutes past 7 in the morning with 5 raw eggs and a bowl of tuna, gagging every few mins - yes it can be done - no it isn't pleasant xD
Original post by Carpediemxx
I'm reading this at 12 minutes past 7 in the morning with 5 raw eggs and a bowl of tuna, gagging every few mins - yes it can be done - no it isn't pleasant xD

why don't you just cook the eggs?
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
why don't you just cook the eggs?

I hate mornings so much I have no time To cook anything, so I just down everything and run lol
Reply 6
Absolutely. Knock yourself out.
nothing wrong with it, go for it
Reply 8
Why limit yourself so much?!

What are your goals? Lose weight, gain size/muscle?
I haven't seen your blog so why don't you tell us why you can't use a kettle to boil water, or a microwave to make porridge?
Original post by Arturo Bandini
I haven't seen your blog so why don't you tell us why you can't use a kettle to boil water, or a microwave to make porridge?

It is the hot plates on the hob, or in this case the cold plates. They take forever to warm up and even when they do they are still ****. For example, even on the highest heat, I am yet to see the red dot in the middle of my frying pan disappear.

I simply don't like microwaves. I've always done everything with the hob, so I've learned to judge and time things exactly, when I use the microwave it messes everything up. However that is besides the point since I stated I'll be having cereal for breakfast anyway. I will likely move to porridge when it gets colder and when I can work the microwave.

But the point still stands for the hobs, boiling has minimal effect.
It is the hot plates on the hob, or in this case the cold plates. They take forever to warm up and even when they do they are still ****. For example, even on the highest heat, I am yet to see the red dot in the middle of my frying pan disappear.

I simply don't like microwaves. I've always done everything with the hob, so I've learned to judge and time things exactly, when I use the microwave it messes everything up. However that is besides the point since I stated I'll be having cereal for breakfast anyway. I will likely move to porridge when it gets colder and when I can work the microwave.

Tinned tuna can be eaten cold, same with salmon (nicer imo, but more expensive). You can also cook the filled types of pasta (ravioli, tortellini etc) in a kettle, they float so don't touch the filament and hence don't burn. Yes it'll make your kettle a bit starchy but if you get bored of bread you can get a cheap kettle for like a fiver and just use it for tortellini etc.

You can also cook fish in a microwave pretty sucessfully. Get a dish with a lid, put a little bit of milk in the bottom, add your salmon/trout whatever and microwave it for a couple of minutes. Not as good as grilled but perfectly tasty. I know you don't want microwave ready meals but there are some proper sorts of things you can do in them.

No the point is that you're making excuses. The hob sucks, I don't like microwaves (wtf?), etc.

You can buy a kettle from Tesco for five quid and it will boil in less than 5 mins.
Just get a microwave and learn to use it? I seriously don't see the problem here? "I don't like microwaves"??
Original post by Arturo Bandini
No the point is that you're making excuses. The hob sucks, I don't like microwaves (wtf?), etc.

You can buy a kettle from Tesco for five quid and it will boil in less than 5 mins.

look, I have a kettle, I used it the last day and it took ages to heat up. When it did start to boil I added the pasta in and it cools down so much that the pasta is sitting in water that isn't boiling for about 5minutes before it starts to boil again, that is over half the amount of time the pasta should be cooking in the water, making it a bit gummy.

I'm not sure why you have such a problem with me not wanting to use a microwave for some foods. At hte end of the day, what else do you expect me to use it for? I've already said I'll likely start using porridge in it eventually and I'll need it to heat up the soups and stews I'll have in the freezer.

I simply don't like how it cooks other foods, for example, the baked potato, microwaves cannot bake potatoes, it is as simple as that. You can tell from the texture of a 12 minute microwaved abomination and a potato that have spent an hour+ in the oven.
(edited 10 years ago)
look, I have a kettle, I used it the last day and it took ages to heat up. When it did start to boil I added the pasta in and it cools down so much that the pasta is sitting in water that isn't boiling for about 5minutes before it starts to boil again, that is over half the amount of time the pasta should be cooking in the water, making it a bit gummy.

I'm not sure why you have such a problem with me not wanting to use a microwave for some foods. At hte end of the day, what else do you expect me to use it for? I've already said I'll likely start using porridge in it eventually and I'll need it to heat up the soups and stews I'll have in the freezer.

I simply don't like how it cooks other foods, for example, the baked potato, microwaves cannot bake potatoes, it is as simple as that. You can tell from the texture of a 12 minute microwaved abomination and a potato that have spent an hour+ in the oven.

I'm not saying that you should cook everything in the microwave including baked potatoes. :rolleyes:

I'm just saying that if you have a microwave and a kettle, there's plenty of things you CAN cook without using your ****ty hob. So it'd be a lot easier to get a good diet if you just used the other equipment instead of making excuses about it all.

Having said that, if you make enough stew (not soup) in your big batches, and eat a couple of big portions per day with plenty of chicken and rice or potato in each batch, as well as tuna sandwiches and shakes, you should be able to make your gains anyway. It'll just be a bit boring.

:nooo:
Reply 17
Can't you catch salmonella from eating raw eggs?
Reply 18
Original post by Bassetts
Can't you catch salmonella from eating raw eggs?

If the hen was infected, yes, but they should be immunised. Idk what the actual rate is but the notion that it's somewhat likely is ridiculous. It's incredibly unlikely you'll get it, even more so if you buy good quality eggs.

Think about all the kids who eat the remains of cake mix & how they never get ill.
Original post by Shawshank
If the hen was infected, yes, but they should be immunised. Idk what the actual rate is but the notion that it's somewhat likely is ridiculous. It's incredibly unlikely you'll get it, even more so if you buy good quality eggs.

Think about all the kids who eat the remains of cake mix & how they never get ill.

true story.

Though I wouldn't eat battery eggs raw, not even caged for that matter.

As far as I know, salmonella isn't actually very serious in healthy adults anyway. It is more serious in children and old people.

Quick Reply

Latest