The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Cardiff?

I've got to send my UCAS form off tomorrow, and I really can't decide which of these 2 to pick as my 4th option (other three are Oxford, Edinburgh and Newcastle). I haven't been able to visit either due to having a job interview on the open day for one and being ill for the other, so I'm gonna have to do this blind... Could anyone please help me decide? :colondollar: I've made a list of the pros and cons for me personally for both:

Cardiff pros
Been told the city is lovely by my mum and grandma, who have both lived there before
Long way from home (~200 miles), so no pressure from my mum to come home every weekend for Sunday lunch!
Cheap accommodation
Close to Barry beach!

Cardiff cons
Accomodation seems to be a long way from the medical facilities
Emphasis on personal statement in selecting for interview (been told mine's quite good, but these things are all subjective so it sounds like there would be a larger element of risk)

Nottingham pros
Close to home (~40 miles), because I might like to pop home for the odd Sunday lunch haha. Also, all my other choices are far away, so it'd be good to have one nearer in case I do get scared of the prospect of moving away come March/April
I like the idea of the integrated BMedSci
Dissection (not really that bothered about it, just seems like something I'd rather have than not)
Very good chance of interview, as I have a good UKCAT score and GCSE's

Nottingham cons
Expensive halls
Absolutely no idea if I'd like being on a campus
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Please, my future is in your hands, good people of TSR
Reply 2
what do you want to study?
Reply 3
Original post by Aniaa
what do you want to study?

Medicine :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MrSupernova
Medicine :smile:

then Cardiff since its in first 100 of top world unis
I've got to send my UCAS form off tomorrow, and I really can't decide which of these 2 to pick as my 4th option (other three are Oxford, Edinburgh and Newcastle). I haven't been able to visit either due to having a job interview on the open day for one and being ill for the other, so I'm gonna have to do this blind... Could anyone please help me decide? :colondollar: I've made a list of the pros and cons for me personally for both:

Cardiff pros
Been told the city is lovely by my mum and grandma, who have both lived there before
Long way from home (~200 miles), so no pressure from my mum to come home every weekend for Sunday lunch!
Cheap accommodation
Close to Barry beach!

Cardiff cons
Accomodation seems to be a long way from the medical facilities
Emphasis on personal statement in selecting for interview (been told mine's quite good, but these things are all subjective so it sounds like there would be a larger element of risk)

Nottingham pros
Close to home (~40 miles), because I might like to pop home for the odd Sunday lunch haha. Also, all my other choices are far away, so it'd be good to have one nearer in case I do get scared of the prospect of moving away come March/April
I like the idea of the integrated BMedSci
Dissection (not really that bothered about it, just seems like something I'd rather have than not)
Very good chance of interview, as I have a good UKCAT score and GCSE's

Nottingham cons
Expensive halls
Absolutely no idea if I'd like being on a campus

Notts halls aren't expensive. Have you factored in that you won't ever have to buy food (unless you want a cheeky midnight pizza).
Reply 6
Original post by Hippokrates
Notts halls aren't expensive. Have you factored in that you won't ever have to buy food (unless you want a cheeky midnight pizza).

Just researched it a little more, and you're right! I was concerned about not getting one the University Park rooms and having to fork out for one of the pricier options, but it seems there's an abundance of them so that's not something I should worry about. Was leaning towards Cardiff, but now I'm not sure.. Might have to get rid of Edinburgh now, aaaargh :/
I live in notts halls :smile: I'm a student nurse but I love with a med first year :smile: I live on Raleigh park. I'm in a house so I pay £413.60 a month. think it's £93 a week! is not far to the hospital where we learn it's a mile walk up one road :smile: it's gt a brilliant night life, we share some lectures with the med students ie some basic emergency care, Inter-professional learning and the lecturers are brilliant, some are hilarious! I don't think med students spend too much time on campus I think there in the med school (QMC- Queens Medic Centre) allot :smile: if you have any questions about nottingham just ask! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Aniaa
then Cardiff since its in first 100 of top world unis

So's Nottingham :tongue:

Just researched it a little more, and you're right! I was concerned about not getting one the University Park rooms and having to fork out for one of the pricier options, but it seems there's an abundance of them so that's not something I should worry about. Was leaning towards Cardiff, but now I'm not sure.. Might have to get rid of Edinburgh now, aaaargh :/

So which did you go for?
My friends studying Medicine, within their first week of their first hear ar cutting into dead bodies!
Reply 10
Original post by alex193
So's Nottingham :tongue:

So which did you go for?

Cardiff... Then I found out it would cost £100 return on the train to come home for the weekend, so I got it back from my referee and chose Nottingham haha. I visited the campus at the weekend (was ill for their June open day and had to work on the day of their September one :angry:) and it looked great, so I think I made the right decision eventually!
Reply 11
Original post by Miracle Day
My friends studying Medicine, within their first week of their first hear ar cutting into dead bodies!

As sadistic as this probably sounds, that's brilliant! :P
Reply 12
Original post by graceey_bear
I live in notts halls :smile: I'm a student nurse but I love with a med first year :smile: I live on Raleigh park. I'm in a house so I pay £413.60 a month. think it's £93 a week! is not far to the hospital where we learn it's a mile walk up one road :smile: it's gt a brilliant night life, we share some lectures with the med students ie some basic emergency care, Inter-professional learning and the lecturers are brilliant, some are hilarious! I don't think med students spend too much time on campus I think there in the med school (QMC- Queens Medic Centre) allot :smile: if you have any questions about nottingham just ask! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers, I picked Nottingham in the end so if I think of anything I'll make sure to ask! :smile:
Reply 13
Ahh OP you've totally missed out, should've chosen Cardiff. =P
(Okay I know what I'm about to say is a bit late but I hope it'll still be of help to you and any others who might be considering the same things):

At Cardiff, anatomy teaching is one of their biggest strengths! The anatomy/physiology course here is ranked like second (at least in the top 3) in the UK! Plus they do a lot of dissection here (used to be 16hrs!) and the school's one of the very few in the country that still offer full-body dissection.
(and yes....the new C21 cohort started the dissections in the first week...oh yes!).

There are a whole lot more amazing things the school offers (high tech simulation labs, lots small group tutorials, placements all over Wales to get a very rounded experience, the harmonisation programme to ease the transition into foundation years etc, the list goes on!).

And as for your other worries, there are lots accommodation dotted around, some are a stone's throw away from the Heath campus while others are only a 15-20min walk from either main or Health campuses so not too long at all!

...and you can always get a free railway card with a santander student bank account. =P

But don't worry, while all med schools have their amazing sides and perks, they all are great at the end of the day. I'm sure Nottingham's got some fantastic things to offer as well so you'll also be in for a treat!

At the end of the day, all med schools are similar, don't look into reputation that much (unless you want to practice abroad and even then, it's not gonna affect your application much), look into the course to make sure it's taught in a way that suits you, and finally, definitely choose the ones you'd be happy to spend the next 5/6 years at. =]

Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by Nimbus
Ahh OP you've totally missed out, should've chosen Cardiff. =P
(Okay I know what I'm about to say is a bit late but I hope it'll still be of help to you and any others who might be considering the same things):

At Cardiff, anatomy teaching is one of their biggest strengths! The anatomy/physiology course here is ranked like second (at least in the top 3) in the UK! Plus they do a lot of dissection here (used to be 16hrs!) and the school's one of the very few in the country that still offer full-body dissection.
(and yes....the new C21 cohort started the dissections in the first week...oh yes!).

There are a whole lot more amazing things the school offers (high tech simulation labs, lots small group tutorials, placements all over Wales to get a very rounded experience, the harmonisation programme to ease the transition into foundation years etc, the list goes on!).

And as for your other worries, there are lots accommodation dotted around, some are a stone's throw away from the Heath campus while others are only a 15-20min walk from either main or Health campuses so not too long at all!

...and you can always get a free railway card with a santander student bank account. =P

But don't worry, while all med schools have their amazing sides and perks, they all are great at the end of the day. I'm sure Nottingham's got some fantastic things to offer as well so you'll also be in for a treat!

At the end of the day, all med schools are similar, don't look into reputation that much (unless you want to practice abroad and even then, it's not gonna affect your application much), look into the course to make sure it's taught in a way that suits you, and finally, definitely choose the ones you'd be happy to spend the next 5/6 years at. =]

Good luck!

I did choose it! Then my headteacher, who happens to be Welsh, informed me that the transport links with where I live are not very good at all, and it turns out 200 miles is a very long way :colondollar:
Cheers, I picked Nottingham in the end so if I think of anything I'll make sure to ask! :smile:

I wish you all the best! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply