The Student Room Group

Who is applying to study Japanese 2014

Hi

I'm applying for Japanese, anyone else. I'm also starting this thread to see how popular (if at all) this subject is, since my personal tutor is acting like i'm trying to study how to effectively act like a caveman.
I've chosen to apply to Leeds, Sheffied and UCLAN.

Also, why do you want to study it? I'm interested to know.
That is all i can think of right now

Just to put this out there, i know that there is a "language" thread, but this is a bit more definitive.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Smudjygirl
Hi

I'm applying for Japanese, anyone else. I'm also starting this thread to see how popular (if at all) this subject is, since my personal tutor is acting like i'm trying to study how to effectively act like a caveman.

Just to put this out there, i know that there is a "language" thread, but this is a bit more definitive.

just wondering, are you Japanese?
Hi

I only learned my japanese through anime :lol: I can say random stuff like "heaven slicing lunar fang" etc :tongue:
Respect for doing it at uni level!

Original post by Aniaa
just wondering, are you Japanese?

Are you applying?
:biggrin:
Good luck with your application! I'm a final year Japanese (and French and German) student at Newcastle. Japanese is a niche sorta degree programme - maybe around 350 students a year across under and post grad as of 2011/12, around the same popularity as Italian Studies. Although neither figures count people like me doing broad-based language programmes. :tongue:
Reply 4
No, i'm not Japanese. Why?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Blueray2
I only learned my japanese through anime :lol: I can say random stuff like "heaven slicing lunar fang" etc :tongue:

Are you applying?

no, I am not. But I would really like to learn Japanease. I am just asking out of pure curiosity. Soo? :smile:
Reply 6

Ha, you'll get far in Japan doing that. Joke, but anime can be useful.

And thanks.
No, i'm not Japanese. Why?

Original post by sophia5892
Good luck with your application! I'm a final year Japanese (and French and German) student at Newcastle. Japanese is a niche sorta degree programme - maybe around 350 students a year across under and post grad as of 2011/12, around the same popularity as Italian Studies. Although neither figures count people like me doing broad-based language programmes. :tongue:

What job do you hope to get? :smile: I get the same question when I say I want to study geography :gah: Just curious if its not translator :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Aniaa
no, I am not. But I would really like to learn Japanease. I am just asking out of pure curiosity. Soo? :smile:

I can recommend some books and penpal websites if you like. I can also help you a little. But i'm not that good at it yet.
Ha, you'll get far in Japan doing that. Joke, but anime can be useful.

And thanks.

You watch any anime? Which ones? :biggrin:
Reply 10
What job do you hope to get? :smile: I get the same question when I say I want to study geography :gah: Just curious if its not translator :smile:

I want to teach English in Japan at first. JET is a good thing to do. I don't know if that's what i always want to do but i do right now

Sorry, just realised you weren't talking to me. My internet is terrible
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I can recommend some books and penpal websites if you like. I can also help you a little. But i'm not that good at it yet.

I wanna study medicine, I am in my final grade at school. And well, I am not a brilliant student so I must work hard and Ihave a boyfriend for whom I need time. So I can't really start with Japanese now but thanks anyway :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Aniaa
I wanna study medicine, I am in my final grade at school. And well, I am not a brilliant student so I must work hard and Ihave a boyfriend for whom I need time. So I can't really start with Japanese now but thanks anyway :biggrin:

Well even 10-20 mins a day you will make progress, but it's your decision. I have no social life so i can't say much :biggrin:
Reply 13
I'm not applying for Japanese (sorry to butt in!) but I have a friend who is, and I know my sister intends to in 2016 (she was also looking at studying directly in Japan). I think it's becoming a lot more popular in recent years, both as an option for people who grew up on/developed an interest in Japanese media, and in the case of my friend, people of part Japanese heritage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Well even 10-20 mins a day you will make progress, but it's your decision. I have no social life so i can't say much :biggrin:

no time now. And I already know 5 languages so I am kinda overloaded xd
Reply 15
You watch any anime? Which ones? :biggrin:

I watch a bit of everything. I began watching Gintama and one piece recently. Usually i end up on very depressing ones..like Fushigi yugi (or whatever it was called) or Ayashi no ceres.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by dlaiden
I'm not applying for Japanese (sorry to butt in!) but I have a friend who is, and I know my sister intends to in 2016 (she was also looking at studying directly in Japan). I think it's becoming a lot more popular in recent years, both as an option for people who grew up on/developed an interest in Japanese media, and in the case of my friend, people of part Japanese heritage. Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not butting in really, i assumed everyone was part of the convo. Is it strange my love for the language grew from Kanji, Doraemon and Kimonos..

Aniaa, good luck with your studies
(edited 10 years ago)
I watch a bit of everything. I began watching Gintama and one piece recently. Usually i end up on very depressing ones..like Fushigi yugi (or whatever it was called) or Ayashi no ceres.

Naruto, bleach?
Reply 18
Naruto, bleach?

Naturally. Naruto is really annoying me though. Some of those characters need to be slapped.
Reply 19
Naturally. Naruto is really annoying me though. Some of those characters need to be slapped.

THANK YOU! You understand my pain. Sometimes I read/watch Naruto and i think to myself. WHY ISnt THIS PERSON DEAD YET? I GET SO VEXED! But oh god i AM SO JEALOUS! I watch a lot of anime, One piece, Naruto (Stopped watching Bleach but liked it when it was good) and let just say 100 more. and since then i am having be picking up basic, like how are you, whats your name and all that stuff. My fav is BAKA! xD

But I might do Japanese as a minor. I am doing English lit but I hope to learn Japanese in the next year! Already printed out a booklet and learn it at home :P But I RESPECT YOU!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending