The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Freshers week isnt really about events on at the union. Its getting to know every one you are living with and your new home town. The union isnt that great of a place any way the bars and clubs in town are better a mon avi.(and cheaper)

The bars at the uni are a good place to chill in between lectures though but again its not very cheap. So i would recommend the library. Plus with a yellow card drinks are even cheaper!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 61
larry182
Freshers week isnt really about events on at the union. Its getting to know every one you are living with and your new home town. The union isnt that great of a place any way the bars and clubs in town are better a mon avi.(and cheaper)

The bars at the uni are a good place to chill in between lectures though but again its not very cheap. So i would recommend the library. Plus with a yellow card drinks are even cheaper!

i'd have to say union prices over all are better than *most* places.. yellow card prices still aren't that great.. (though they probably lose their money from the fact there's only 1 yellow card per group of like 10.. lol).. but yes, library is a good night out, i prefer it to dry dock.. despite them being the same company..
Reply 62
(though they probably lose their money from the fact there's only 1 yellow card per group of like 10.. lol)..

ha ud think the bar staff would get a bit suspicious when 1 person is buying rounds for 10 people!

A few cheap places if any one is interested or happens to be skint at some point then try Fruit cupboard (mondays admission 80p and drinks 80p) hi-fi isnt bad cockpit aswell is quite cheap. What ever you do dont go in tiger tiger if you do happen to be skint!
Reply 63
fruit cupboard on a monday.. legendary. (providing ur in before 11 when it become £2 entry :frown:)

and well.. we tend to go up and swap the card behind the bar as each of us buys.. easy!
Reply 64
Go to Headingley. So many pubs and on Freshers week have loads of good offers. Headingley is student town.
Reply 65
I wouldn't really go up Headingley in freshers week tbh. It's a bit out of the way, plus it's more 'student town' for 2nd, 3rd and 4th years. Fresher's week is about meeting as many folk as possible, so union/town would be the way forward IMO.
What's a yellow card? :smile: xx
Reply 67
Its a card you buy for a couple of quid and then you can use it in certain bars/pubs in leeds and get discount. Its worth getting you make your money back very quickly plus as ChrisA86 mentioned you can use one between your whole group!
isn't it only for scream pubs? (a chain of student style bars) we have one near us its only a quid for the card....bargain!
Reply 69
larry182

Union bars are just as good as town/headingley bars and are usually cheaper. Also when you drink in the union you have the security of knowing the money you spend on your pints is being fed directly back into the union (ie back to student societies, sports clubs, the advice centre, nightbus, the paper etc.) and not into someone's back pocket.

Therefore more money spent in the union means more money for student services!!
Reply 70
Its not cheaper though and I dont believe those signs! I used to drink bud upstairs (terrace is it?) and it was around £2.40 for a pint that isnt cheap. If you go in to town, the right bars on the right night is a lot cheaper.
Reply 71
larry182
Its not cheaper though and I dont believe those signs! I used to drink bud upstairs (terrace is it?) and it was around £2.40 for a pint that isnt cheap. If you go in to town, the right bars on the right night is a lot cheaper.

If you choose to drink expensive drinks it's expensive! Carling and Worthies are cheap. Don't don't say that Bud is nicer than carling, as they are both cold fizzy rice water. Proper beer all the way!

Ask in the Exec office for the accounts of the union and you'll see..... :p: :wink: (any member can look at the accounts)
I'm so glad I don't drink...I just know I'll be in debt by day 2 otherwise!
larry182

The Old Bar is pretty cheap!