The Student Room Group

Degree you don't enjoy and job you do enjoy or vice versa?

As the title says, is it better to do a degree you don't enjoy in order to obtain a job you do enjoy, or a degree you do enjoy but end up obtaining a job you don't enjoy?

e.g. engineering degree (enjoy) ----> working as an engineer (don't enjoy)
vs.
law degree (don't enjoy) ----> working as a lawyer (do enjoy)

Of course I understand that the vast majority of degrees aren't vocational and thus graduates often end up working outside of the field their degree was based in, but for the purposes of this thread let's imagine that all graduates end up working in the same field as their degree.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think I would expect anyone to prefer suffering for a few years to be able to have fun for the rest of your life over having fun for a few years in order to suffer for the rest of your life. That's the only way I can see it anyway, personally. I mean based on the way you put it in your post that is.
Reply 2
Engineering degree - enjoy --> law conversion - only 1 year not enjoy --> law career - enjoy
Reply 3
degree obviously, a degree is 4 years of your life whereas a job is for a lot longer.
not enjoying pre-clinical med, enjoy placements and the job though
Reply 5
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Engineering degree - enjoy --> law conversion - only 1 year not enjoy --> law career - enjoy

Haha, very clever. :tongue: Though that was only an example; I meant in a more general sense.
Reply 6
Original post by AreebWithaHat
not enjoying pre-clinical med, enjoy placements and the job though

Why is that?
Reply 7
Original post by la95
Haha, very clever. :tongue: Though that was only an example; I meant in a more general sense.

You missed my point. I was insinuating that you don't necessarily have to do something you don't enjoy for any significant amount of time and that, in turn, this thread is probably better suited in the Chat/Game section.
Reply 8
You missed my point. I was insinuating that you don't necessarily have to do something you don't enjoy for any significant amount of time and that, in turn, this thread is probably better suited in the Chat/Game section.

As was implied in my first post, the question is entirely hypothetical and based on the premise that one will work in the field that their degree was in (obviously for a significant amount of time).
Reply 9
Original post by la95
As was implied in my first post, the question is entirely hypothetical and based on the premise that one will work in the field that their degree was in (obviously for a significant amount of time).

Sure. I wonder if you could enlighten me as to how this premise is useful.
Reply 10
Slim chance of getting a job as a lawyer. Shouldn't you factor that in?
Reply 11
Sure. I wonder if you could enlighten me as to how this premise is useful.

It's a hypothetical question. Why does it need to be 'useful'?
Reply 12
Original post by Joinedup
Slim chance of getting a job as a lawyer. Shouldn't you factor that in?

That was just an example. :smile: The question is about degrees and jobs generally.
Reply 13
Original post by la95
It's a hypothetical question. Why does it need to be 'useful'?

There must be a reason for you wanting to know. What's your motive? I'm just curious about the reason you asked the question.
Original post by la95
Why is that?

pre-clinicals are boring just lectures pretty much, can't wait to get hands-on with histories, examinations, diagnosis etc.
Original post by la95
As the title says, is it better to do a degree you don't enjoy in order to obtain a job you do enjoy, or a degree you do enjoy but end up obtaining a job you don't enjoy?

e.g. engineering degree (enjoy) ----> working as an engineer (don't enjoy)
vs.
law degree (don't enjoy) ----> working as a lawyer (do enjoy)

Of course I understand that the vast majority of degrees aren't vocational and thus graduates often end up working outside of the field their degree was based in, but for the purposes of this thread let's imagine that all graduates end up working in the same field as their degree.

how does one enjoy fluid dynamics

IMPOSSIBRU!
Reply 16
There must be a reason for you wanting to know. What's your motive? I'm just curious about the reason you asked the question.

I'm choosing between a degree I think I will enjoy less in order to obtain a career I think I will enjoy more vs. a degree I think I will enjoy more but with career prospects I find less appealing.
I would much rather enjoy my degree. It helps to be interested and enthusiastic about what you study so that you do well. You may not enjoy your job all that much but you go to work for money and at the end of the day, that's where a fantastic degree will get you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by la95
I'm choosing between a degree I think I will enjoy less in order to obtain a career I think I will enjoy more vs. a degree I think I will enjoy more but with career prospects I find less appealing.

Instead of asking the hypothetical, ask that. What is the degree/career choice? I would much prefer to answer that question. :yep: I figured that was your rationale and that's why I answered the specific question.
(edited 10 years ago)
Obviously do the degree that'll get you the career you enjoy, even if you don't enjoy the degree all that much. Student life is still pretty good any even if you don't particularly enjoy your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending