The Student Room Group

Getting Job at McDonald's

Hi all, I'm new here, and first of all, this looks to be the only site to help with getting work for young people like meself, so I hope you's can help me.
Since last July I've been completing the online Application Form for McDonald's, and I've been rejected every time. I'm not messing, I probably applied at least 30 times, and didn't even get an interview out of it. Being from Dublin, there's loads of vacancies for McDonald's going, and it seems none of them want me. By the looks of it, the Irish application looks to be mostly the same as the ones you's use over there. After about 2-5 days I get that dreaded email saying I've been rejected, and it's nearly a different restaurant I'm applying at every time, all at a reasonable distance near me. I'm 16, and it says they employ 16 year olds so I hope that's not really a problem. Is there something wrong with my account that they just automatically reject me, like a bug or something? Is it to do with what I have in the application? I've perfected it like 4 times now, saying I would work "Anytime" and the hours they specified I used. For Employment History, I put in what I done for Work Experience last April (Just lasted for 5 days), I know that's not really actual employment history, but I felt it would help it. For Education, I used my Junior Certificate results from a couple of years ago (Which were good I thought). For the end of it, where they ask the questions, I felt I done really well on that, so can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong? Any help would be really appreciated
Could you give some detail as to what they ask on the application form?
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply!

At the start of it, they just ask the basic details, like address, mobile, and so on.
Then on the Education section, they ask for the name of your School / College, followed by what Qualification you have, then Grades.
After that, they ask about your Work History, stuff like the address and what type of work you were doing.
Then they ask when you'd be available to work with them (You have options like: Anytime, Morning, Day, Evening and Night for a specific day), as well as asking how many hours a week, and when can you start.
After that they ask you about yourself "What do you like to do in your spare time? (include details of any interests or membership of clubs and societies) (max 500 words)" and "What is your proudest accomplishment to date? (max 500 words)".
Then you have to provide them with one reference.
When you're finished with that end of it, they give you statements like "I enjoy meeting new people", and I would then select "Strongly Agree".
Lastly, they ask you eight questions such as "Which of the following do you think is the most appropriate course of action when greeting a customer?", and I choose "Smiling and then saying 'Hello'".
This is the whole form from start to end.
Reply 3
If the don't want you then they don't want you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Smartcook
If the don't want you then they don't want you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why wouldn't they want a fresh young worker who'd work for the minimum wage possible??

If anyone has some help for me, it would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by DáltaÓÉire
Hi all, I'm new here, and first of all, this looks to be the only site to help with getting work for young people like meself, so I hope you's can help me.
Since last July I've been completing the online Application Form for McDonald's, and I've been rejected every time. I'm not messing, I probably applied at least 30 times, and didn't even get an interview out of it. Being from Dublin, there's loads of vacancies for McDonald's going, and it seems none of them want me. By the looks of it, the Irish application looks to be mostly the same as the ones you's use over there. After about 2-5 days I get that dreaded email saying I've been rejected, and it's nearly a different restaurant I'm applying at every time, all at a reasonable distance near me. I'm 16, and it says they employ 16 year olds so I hope that's not really a problem. Is there something wrong with my account that they just automatically reject me, like a bug or something? Is it to do with what I have in the application? I've perfected it like 4 times now, saying I would work "Anytime" and the hours they specified I used. For Employment History, I put in what I done for Work Experience last April (Just lasted for 5 days), I know that's not really actual employment history, but I felt it would help it. For Education, I used my Junior Certificate results from a couple of years ago (Which were good I thought). For the end of it, where they ask the questions, I felt I done really well on that, so can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong? Any help would be really appreciated

Hi,
I work for mcdonalds. Mcdonalds dont take people on all the time, they seem to take a group of people on every so often, rather than one here and one there etc (well they do at my store anyway- im assuming it would be similar in other stores). So it could have been that when you applied, the store you applied to wherent taking people on at that moment in time. That could have explained some of the times that you where rejected.
They do seem to get quite a few people applying as well, so it could have been that as there where so many applying, you just wherent lucky. Especially as therent arent many jobs around at the moment.
It might be worth taking your CV into the store (or all the ones near you). They do take people on who have handed CV's in as well as online. Well they have done at my store in the past, so its worth a try.
Hope this helps.
Why do you want to work at McDonalds so badly? Its Christmas time now so every other retail shop are looking for their christmas temps apply for one of those? It'll be better pay, better experience etc
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Why do you want to work at McDonalds so badly? Its Christmas time now so every other retail shop are looking for their christmas temps apply for one of those? It'll be better pay, better experience etc

Working for mcdonalds isnt that bad you know.
Original post by Emma:-)
Working for mcdonalds isnt that bad you know.

I didn't mean to imply that, I just meant they should look for more opportunities especially now thats its Christmas lots of stores will have more vacancies opening
Reply 9
Hi,
I work for mcdonalds. Mcdonalds dont take people on all the time, they seem to take a group of people on every so often, rather than one here and one there etc (well they do at my store anyway- im assuming it would be similar in other stores). So it could have been that when you applied, the store you applied to wherent taking people on at that moment in time. That could have explained some of the times that you where rejected.
They do seem to get quite a few people applying as well, so it could have been that as there where so many applying, you just wherent lucky. Especially as therent arent many jobs around at the moment.
It might be worth taking your CV into the store (or all the ones near you). They do take people on who have handed CV's in as well as online. Well they have done at my store in the past, so its worth a try.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help! I'll have to go to one of their stores now during the week. Going in would be my best chance, but I couldn't believe they rejected me that amount of times. Do I just hand it in at the counter, or ask for the manager?
Reply 10
Original post by SharminaSyeda

Why wouldn't I want to? From what I've heard, it's a great place to start your career, and decent enough wages too!
Why wouldn't I want to? From what I've heard, it's a great place to start your career, and decent enough wages too!

I didn't mean it like that, I meant don't just limit your options to that place only have you been applying elsewhere?
Thanks for your help! I'll have to go to one of their stores now during the week. Going in would be my best chance, but I couldn't believe they rejected me that amount of times. Do I just hand it in at the counter, or ask for the manager?

I think it would be best to ask for the manager and give it in to them.
Reply 13
I've applied for various jobs for McDonald's and never heard anything back but i got a phone call this morning about an interview she asked me about the times i could work and asked me questions like 'why do you want to work for McDonald's' and 'what do you think happens at McDonald's' and asked me if i could do full time when i weren't in college. she then told me that my answers would be passed on to her manager and if i was successful i would be invited in to the store. I then received the email about coming in to the store to do an OJE and have another interview.

what do they ask? And what happens on the OJE?
Reply 14
I think it would be best to ask for the manager and give it in to them.

Hi again,

Over the Christmas I've been talking to a couple of managers from McDonald's, and they said you have to apply online so the company knows who they employ. I was asking about why I always got rejected and they said it's to do with the questions at the end that I somehow keep getting wrong.

1.png1_2.png2.png3.1.png 3.2.png3.3.png

The six questions above is what I keep getting "wrong" somehow, even though I keep changing them. At first I gave what I thought, but I had to change them since for any hope of getting past this stage. Can someone please tell me the answers to these questions, or even just correct me on what you think I've done wrong. Any help would be appreciated!
Hi again,

Over the Christmas I've been talking to a couple of managers from McDonald's, and they said you have to apply online so the company knows who they employ. I was asking about why I always got rejected and they said it's to do with the questions at the end that I somehow keep getting wrong.

1.png1_2.png2.png3.1.png 3.2.png3.3.png

The six questions above is what I keep getting "wrong" somehow, even though I keep changing them. At first I gave what I thought, but I had to change them since for any hope of getting past this stage. Can someone please tell me the answers to these questions, or even just correct me on what you think I've done wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

Yes, they have brought in the new peoplestuff- so everything online nowadays. But they have still accepted the odd CV's- at my store at least. A lad i went to 6th form with was one of the.
Reply 16
Yes, they have brought in the new peoplestuff- so everything online nowadays. But they have still accepted the odd CV's- at my store at least. A lad i went to 6th form with was one of the.

Would you mind looking over these questions and tell me if I done something wrong?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending