The Student Room Group

*Can I still expect to recieve offers from unis, having underachieved in my AS?*

So I'm interested in pursuing a career in civil engineering. As a member of the ATC (air cadets), and having had a significant amount of work experience in the industry, my personal statement is looking rather healthy.

But, here's the problem. I got my AS results in the summer, and they were significantly less than I had been hoping for/predicted. My results were as follows…

English Language: A
English Literature: A
Physics: C - but a high C at that. (Having been initially predicted an A)
Mathematics: D (Having been initially predicted an A)
Note: I was not 'cached-in' for AS math, as my sixth form believes this will somehow benefit me in my UCAS application.

Naturally, I will be re-sitting a number of modules in both Maths & Physics, because I FIRMLY believe I am still capable of achieving at least a B grade (overall) in both subjects.
So my question is, with these results will I still be able to obtain offers from universities requiring grades ranging from AAB-BBC (namely; Surrey, Loughborough, Herriot-Watt, Swansea & Coventry)?
I have a pretty good set of GSCEs, with A* in Mathematics and all three sciences. And would expect my predicted grades for my final year to be in the region of A*BC, with B and C in Physics and Maths respectively.

In all honesty, I believe my downfall was in choosing to pursue an A level in Further Maths (which I have now dismissed), meaning I had to take a total of 5 maths exams in year 1, as opposed to the usual 3. All whilst trying to juggle study time with 20 hours a week of swim training (Both before, and after school).
I have now appropriately reduced my commitments out of school to allow me to concentrate (almost solely) on school, in my final year.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. And I'm a big boy, so be honest!

Thanks in advance....
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by astrojack
Thanks in advance...

I think you'd need to be VERY lucky not to be immediately discarded so that tutors at least read your very apologetic and explanatory PS and reference. In all seriousness you'd have a much greater chance of getting into something where your strong English grades are useful, and it looks like you might have more of an aptitude for those subjects? If you're set on civil engineering it might be more worthwhile to retake your Maths and Physics entirely this year as AS, alongside one of your English as A2. Then go into Year 14, and maybe do A2 Maths and Physics and AS FMaths?
Reply 2
So I'm interested in pursuing a career in civil engineering. As a member of the ATC (air cadets), and having had a significant amount of work experience in the industry, my personal statement is looking rather healthy.

But, here's the problem. I got my AS results in the summer, and they were significantly less than I had been hoping for/predicted. My results were as follows…

English Language: A
English Literature: A
Physics: C - but a high C at that. (Having been initially predicted an A)
Mathematics: D (Having been initially predicted an A)
Note: I was not 'cached-in' for AS math, as my sixth form believes this will somehow benefit me in my UCAS application.

Naturally, I will be re-sitting a number of modules in both Maths & Physics, because I FIRMLY believe I am still capable of achieving at least a B grade (overall) in both subjects.
So my question is, with these results will I still be able to obtain offers from universities requiring grades ranging from AAB-BBC (namely; Surrey, Loughborough, Herriot-Watt, Swansea & Coventry)?
I have a pretty good set of GSCEs, with A* in Mathematics and all three sciences. And would expect my predicted grades for my final year to be in the region of A*BC, with B and C in Physics and Maths respectively.

In all honesty, I believe my downfall was in choosing to pursue an A level in Further Maths (which I have now dismissed), meaning I had to take a total of 5 maths exams in year 1, as opposed to the usual 3. All whilst trying to juggle study time with 20 hours a week of swim training (Both before, and after school).
I have now appropriately reduced my commitments out of school to allow me to concentrate (almost solely) on school, in my final year.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. And I'm a big boy, so be honest!

Thanks in advance....

Yours grade arent that bad you still have a good shot ,if in doubt contact admissions tutors by email (check their website)
ensure your reference, predictions and personal statement is good and you will be fine

For future reference just make a thread with your question rather than repeating it in others thread, its easier for people to give you answers all in one place just for you :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nmanvi
Yours grade arent that bad you still have a good shot ,if in doubt contact admissions tutors by email (check their website)
ensure your reference, predictions and personal statement is good and you will be fine

For future reference just make a thread with your question rather than repeating it in others thread, its easier for people to give you answers all in one place just for you :smile:

okay cheers dude! & sorry I'm a bit of a noob at all this :/ hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ATsimpson93
I would hope that you would be ok, Ive applied for places where I fall short of 40-80 points and im still hoping for success, it solely depends on the uni, and the admissions staff. A cracking PS should hide the fact your only 20 points short. GOODLUCK :smile: x

Makes sense, however my problem lies in that most (all) unis require at least a grade B in maths, and my predictions will likely fail to meet this :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

My friend received an ABB offer to do Civil Engineering at Brunel, I think they wanted an A in Physics.

He achieved BBC with a C in Physics. He got in. He didn't have any experience or training in Engineering either.

Brunel is a pretty decent Uni for Engineering as well.

Just forget the extra curriculars and focus on your A2's. I'd suggest you apply for Brunel too.
Reply 6
Yeah, I appreciate what you're saying. Clearly I have left myself with a mountain to climb, so to speak. Although I do seem to have a certain knack for English, it's not something I particularly enjoying doing. And plus, statistically speaking, job prospects in that field are low. So I think I'll just apply for civil regardless, and then reassess once offers (or not) have been made. Perhaps I could go through clearing, or maybe adjustment if I get the grades I believe I'm capable of but fail to attract offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice dude. Brunel is actually a uni I had short listed, so that's good news!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Ok, you have no choice but to contact the required universities then im afraid, harsh reality is; there is no point in applying when you believe you are going to get a rejection.

Regards,
Reply 9
Yes, that is very true! I suppose I could always go through adjustment/clearing if I was to get the grades I aspire to achieve, but no (real) offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, that is very true! I suppose I could always go through adjustment/clearing if I was to get the grades I aspire to achieve, but no (real) offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lifes one big gamble, go for it.
Reply 11
Update: After sitting 14 modular exams this summer, I have been accepted to study civil engineering at Loughborough Uni who had initially asked for AAB, with results ABC. B in Maths and C in Physics. WHAT A RELIEF
I got AACCD at AS and still got loads of offers, some for AAA.
Reply 13
that's probably because you did 5 AS, you mad bastard!! hahaha
Reply 14
Congrats on Loughborough, they're excellent for engineering.

And eh, I think 5 AS is fairly regular, don't like half of people do that many?
Yes, I think so. You got great grades, especially in your English, so explain in your PS that it was the Further Maths and extracurricular activities that caused the lower than expected grades, and use your A's as proof of your ability. You can also say that the experience was a learning experience - you know your capabilities now and the dangers of taking on too much work so you won't make the same mistake again.
Reply 16
Original post by HarrietGilbraith
Yes, I think so. You got great grades, especially in your English, so explain in your PS that it was the Further Maths and extracurricular activities that caused the lower than expected grades, and use your A's as proof of your ability. You can also say that the experience was a learning experience - you know your capabilities now and the dangers of taking on too much work so you won't make the same mistake again.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I applied last year, and now, having received my results last week, I have been accepted unconditionally to study at university

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you may have misunderstood me. I applied last year, and now, having received my results last week, I have been accepted unconditionally to study at university

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh, soory, I didn't see the dates on the posts.
Reply 18
Original post by HarrietGilbraith
Ooh, soory, I didn't see the dates on the posts.

No worries

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending