The Student Room Group

Whether to apply before 15 october

I am not applying to Oxford or Cambridge University but I am applying at LSE and UCL for Economics. Universities apparently do not know whether or not you are applying to Oxbridge if you apply before the 15 October. Would it effect my application in any way if I apply before or after the 15 October. If I apply before 15 October will some universities reject me as they feel I may be applying Oxbridge and so would not accept there offer. I have heard that Bristol University did this as my friend told me it happened to her relative. My friend did tell me not to take her word for it but I am now confused. If I apply after will it make my application any less competitive as they now know that I am not applying to Oxbridge. Sorry I am just very confused and no teachers in my school can help me. Thank you very much and sorry for the long question.
Original post by opop17
I am not applying to Oxford or Cambridge University but I am applying at LSE and UCL for Economics. Universities apparently do not know whether or not you are applying to Oxbridge if you apply before the 15 October. Would it effect my application in any way if I apply before or after the 15 October. If I apply before 15 October will some universities reject me as they feel I may be applying Oxbridge and so would not accept there offer. I have heard that Bristol University did this as my friend told me it happened to her relative. My friend did tell me not to take her word for it but I am now confused. If I apply after will it make my application any less competitive as they now know that I am not applying to Oxbridge. Sorry I am just very confused and no teachers in my school can help me. Thank you very much and sorry for the long question.

To be honest by the time your referee has added the reference and done all that it'll probably be after the 15th that it's actually sent off and received by UCAS. My sixth form took 2 weeks to do this.
Best to wait a little bit. Although they don't see your other uni choices they can easily assume from the early application that you're an Oxbridge applicant. I'd say wait til like the 16th, so at least it's early, but not toooo early..
Reply 3
My application is almost ready. It is just my personal statement that needs a bit of adjusting. I will be able to send my application off by the 15 October.
Reply 4
Sorry in my previous message I was replying to audi_turbo. I am new to tsr.
Reply 5
If you are not applying to Oxford or Cambridge then I'd apply after the 15th. Trying to second guess which universities don't want students who've put Oxbridge first is a bit dangerous. Some do, figuring most of these won't get in but are worth pursuing, others like UCL appear to want people who've really put them first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Mellomum
If you are not applying to Oxford or Cambridge then I'd apply after the 15th. Trying to second guess which universities don't want students who've put Oxbridge first is a bit dangerous. Some do, figuring most of these won't get in but are worth pursuing, others like UCL appear to want people who've really put them first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you
Reply 7
I would just apply some time like the 20th, so it's clear you aren't an oxbridge applicant.

Does it effect LSE/UCL's admissions ? Officially no, however I've seen first hand people get rejections from these uni's and offers from Oxbridge. Some people say LSE are certain these people will get offers from Oxbridge and they want to raise there own rejection percentages.

It will give you peace of mind too. God forbid you get rejections, you won't think 'did they think I was guaranteed at oxbridge and I didn't want to really study at LSE'
They can't see where else you've applied to. They also know that many students applying to Oxbridge will be rejected, but will still be amongst the brightest and best. To refuse to take the brightest and best students that Oxbridge has missed, simply because of some apparent vendetta, would be counterproductive for them in terms of the quality of students that they get.

However, if it will give you peace of mind, you can always wait until after October 15th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mellomum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Top unis want the best candidates, many people get rejected by Oxbridge even though they have excellent grades and a passion for their subject. It would be stupid of universities to arbitrarily reject these people based on the date they applied. They also make more offers than they have places as they know they won't be everybody's top choice.

I was told to put the admissions test I had to sit for Oxford on my UCAS form so universities knew I was applying to Oxford. I still got an offer from UCL which was lower than their typical offer.

OP applying after the 15th won't make a difference to your application but if it'll give you peace of mind just wait until a bit later.
Original post by opop17

The part in bold is utter, utter garbage and must make Bristol so exasperated as it seems to be repeated year after year.

Read this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44730153 which thoroughly debunks this myth. One of the contributors, btw, works in admissions at Bristol - though it's not me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending