The Student Room Group

Cambridge addional reference.

Hey

I read this on the Cambridge site,

"Please note that there is no need to write a special reference for Cambridge as we receive a copy of the UCAS reference you supply. However, if you wish to make any Cambridge-specific comments you are most welcome to send these direct to the Admissions Tutor at the College to which the student applied or to the Cambridge Admissions Office in the case of open applicants. Please ensure that the applicant's name, course and UCAS Personal ID are clearly stated."

I have applied to Cambridge for medicine.

Due to some reasons I had to take A2 biology exam half way through year 13 instead of the end of year (it was however my own choice so no other is to be blamed), and had self taught the remaining topics. I am aware that on Cambridge, and numerous other universities' sites that should a candidate choose to take a subject early, a top grade is still expected.

I have achieved a slightly lower UMS percentage in A levels Biology when compared with other applicants, it was however my own will to choose to do it early, therefore is it worthwhile to ask my school to write an Cambridge additional reference explaining my relatively lower UMS in Biology due to I took it early, and self taught the majority?

Thank you all for reading this

Just thought I'd add that I am an international from New Zealand, our school year begins at January and ends in December, in case your confused when reading my post (my year 13 year is 2013 Jan to 2013 Dec, A2 Biology sat at May 2013 instead of Dec 2013, which explains the achieved grade). Sorry about this late explanation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Bomb
Hey

I read this on the Cambridge site,

"Please note that there is no need to write a special reference for Cambridge as we receive a copy of the UCAS reference you supply. However, if you wish to make any Cambridge-specific comments you are most welcome to send these direct to the Admissions Tutor at the College to which the student applied or to the Cambridge Admissions Office in the case of open applicants. Please ensure that the applicant's name, course and UCAS Personal ID are clearly stated."

I have applied to Cambridge for medicine.

Due to some reasons I had to take A2 biology exam half way through year 13 instead of the end of year (it was however my own choice so no other is to be blamed), and had self taught the remaining topics. I am aware that on Cambridge, and numerous other universities' sites that should a candidate choose to take a subject early, a top grade is still expected.

I have achieved a slightly lower UMS percentage in A levels Biology when compared with other applicants, it was however my own will to choose to do it early, therefore is it worthwhile to ask my school to write an Cambridge additional reference explaining my relatively lower UMS in Biology due to I took it early, and self taught the majority?

Thank you all for reading this

Your avg. UMS is 97? :curious:
You're fine.
Reply 2
You've got nothing to lose by doing so.
Reply 3
Original post by prafto
Your avg. UMS is 97? :curious:
You're fine.

Yes but that average was calculated through math + chem + physics and not Biology. I've checked with Cambridge and for the relevant 3 its chosen by the highest 3 in these four subjects. However, they also have a SUMS (Science UMS average) which in this case will take all four. If Biology is included, my SUMS average would be significantly lower.

Thank you for your reply!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
You've got nothing to lose by doing so.

Thanks for the reply. I just hope they don't find me annoying!
Reply 5
Just thought I'd add that I am an international student from New Zealand, our school year begins at January and ends in December, in case your confused when reading my post, which explains my achieved Biology grade half way through year 13. Sorry about this late explanation.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending