The Student Room Group

Southegg Capital Management

Hi, my brother had an interview with a trading company Southegg Capital Management. I googled this company and I saw something about a scam. I am not in finance myself so I am not familar with these companies but I know some require upfront payment for training. If someone knows anything about this company I would appreciate it.

Scroll to see replies

Hey, Southegg is a fairly well known prop trading firm in the London, they are legit, I have a good friend who works for them as a gold trader who says its a nice place to work. Most prop firms do offer paid-for trainee programmes for people directly out of Uni- it's a fairly common practice in the industry, not ideal for a lot of people but good if you want experience under your belt. I'm sure your brother will be fine there if he wants to build his CV.
Seems to be yet another one of these programmes where you pay for the privilege of being "trained"
Hi, I joined Southegg trainee programme this July. I will admit paying the training fee is not ideal, but everyone in the prop trading industry charges this now as it’s a way into the industry everyone wants to be in. I am trading the company fund now and really like working at Southegg.If your brother wants an first step into the trading industry Southegg is a good place to do it.
Funny how it's all new accounts promoting this firm...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harry.steel1990
Hi, I joined Southegg trainee programme this July. I will admit paying the training fee is not ideal, but everyone in the prop trading industry charges this now as it’s a way into the industry everyone wants to be in. I am trading the company fund now and really like working at Southegg.If your brother wants an first step into the trading industry Southegg is a good place to do it.

Original post by Triplemacchiato
Hey, Southegg is a fairly well known prop trading firm in the London, they are legit, I have a good friend who works for them as a gold trader who says its a nice place to work. Most prop firms do offer paid-for trainee programmes for people directly out of Uni- it's a fairly common practice in the industry, not ideal for a lot of people but good if you want experience under your belt. I'm sure your brother will be fine there if he wants to build his CV.

Original post by asm3k1
Hi, my brother had an interview with a trading company Southegg Capital Management. I googled this company and I saw something about a scam. I am not in finance myself so I am not familar with these companies but I know some require upfront payment for training. If someone knows anything about this company I would appreciate it.

They are all clearly the same person working for Southegg
Reply 6
Lol.
Reply 7
Helo, Im in the same predicaments with the same company aswell. how did it go with your brother? did he get a job offer after the paid training?
Reply 8
These guys Southegg have now changed thier name to Bull Moose Derivatives - if you look at the bottom of the site it says that are owned by southegg (http://www.bullmoosederivatives.com/) - probaly to try and hide these reviews like a lot of bucket shops do they change their name after a while ........

I was there for nearly 12 months and it was a waste of time. They dont offer a job and ask you to put money in a trading account and then charge you commission on your trades which makes it even harder to make money. I dont think there were any profitable traders there.

The directors are liars too. They lied to my face. The MD says he has traded all over the world for big banks but I cant find any proof of it.
DONT GO TO BULLMOOSE DERIVATIVES (FORMERLY KNOWN AS SOUTHEGG!!)

It's not a scam, but its extremely well set up in a way that its virtually impossible for you to make money unless your there for months on end. It can be done if your an excellent trader and can get 8/10 trades right but personally I wouldnt do it. Take the 3k and put it in your own account.

They give you crazy targets of 30 contracts a day (15 in 15 out) because they charge ridiculous commissions and its how they make their money. they offer 70% commission because they will make their profits from your trading. regardless of you being profitable or not. all they need you to do is click into a trade and theyre banking profits.

For a new trader 30 contracts a day is extrememly stupid, someone who have never traded, doesnt understand the markets and psychology involved is pressured to work and reach crazy targets.

I wouldnt recommend it. they do train you, but its basic, things you can find on baby pips, and they offer some support. but the MD doesnt seem to have a clue, there are two decent guys there but theyre now under pressure from the MD to make people reach targets so theyre attitudes are turning left. The MD is a salesman and sells dreams. Offering you a "Great Oppotunity" that might not be around for long. theyre forever taking on new people. its a numbers game. i left a month ago and went back to collect my things, within 24hours my acct was closed and had someone in my seat :/

dont be fooled guys. honestly, take your money and put it in your own account, trade the style that suits you. they want you to scalp with low stop losses and high volume. if your a long term swing trader dont do it. I know people there that are scalpers and are also stuggling.

No-one is profitable at the company. it is a marathon not a sprint, and its good for the mindset, getting discipline etc. but unless you have thousands of pounds saved and can afford to go for the big account with no requirements. I'd trade at home. Its you money you loose not theres. any losses you incur come out of your bond. dont be fooled. i was led to believe its your money after your daily draw down, its not its, you money from the word go. once your money is gone, your gone (or you can put another 3k in)

Its a numbers game for them. minimal support, theyre covered, they will never loose. dont do it.
- Now known as Bull Moose Derivatives

Agree with the poster above, not a scam but very clever at getting new people in through the door.

No fee for training but all you are taught is candlestick patterns and basic fundamentals like what are central bank's roles etc. As a trainee you are given the basic CQG platform, Qtrader.

Need to deposit money in their account in order to trade there, so not a true prop firm, more like a trading arcade. They have an interview process but I think they just let in anyone who can stump up the money. They need to in order to replace those leaving.

You can pay a desk fee and have no volume requirement, or no desk fee and have a minimum number of contracts to meet per month. Commissions are increased on the second option. If you do not make the volume requirement you will be asked to pay for the remainder at the end of the month.

Bear in mind that at the time of writing, nobody there is profitable, including all of the traders they've plastered on their Facebook pages (bear in mind I don't know about the remote traders they mention). If you only have the deposit of £3/6K which they ask for then it is very difficult to make money unless you are already experienced as a trader. However, the desk fees are cheaper than elsewhere so if you are experienced or have a larger deposit then they may be a good option.

Until April 2014 they were trading spot forex before making the switch to futures. I think they are trying to build a reputable company however due to the fact that they have no existing big profitable traders doing a lot of volume and bringing in revenue, they are simply unable to provide a good environment for trainees to become profitable. Hence the churning of newbies.

Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nabal
These guys Southegg have now changed thier name to Bull Moose Derivatives - if you look at the bottom of the site it says that are owned by southegg (http://www.bullmoosederivatives.com/) - probaly to try and hide these reviews like a lot of bucket shops do they change their name after a while ........

I was there for nearly 12 months and it was a waste of time. They dont offer a job and ask you to put money in a trading account and then charge you commission on your trades which makes it even harder to make money. I dont think there were any profitable traders there.

The directors are liars too. They lied to my face. The MD says he has traded all over the world for big banks but I cant find any proof of it.

The MD has never traded professionally he attended a course in 2012 at the London Academy of Trading and failed his assessment test. He is a fraud.
Original post by StoxxTrader
- Now known as Bull Moose Derivatives

Agree with the poster above, not a scam but very clever at getting new people in through the door.

No fee for training but all you are taught is candlestick patterns and basic fundamentals like what are central bank's roles etc. As a trainee you are given the basic CQG platform, Qtrader.

Need to deposit money in their account in order to trade there, so not a true prop firm, more like a trading arcade. They have an interview process but I think they just let in anyone who can stump up the money. They need to in order to replace those leaving.

You can pay a desk fee and have no volume requirement, or no desk fee and have a minimum number of contracts to meet per month. Commissions are increased on the second option. If you do not make the volume requirement you will be asked to pay for the remainder at the end of the month.

Bear in mind that at the time of writing, nobody there is profitable, including all of the traders they've plastered on their Facebook pages (bear in mind I don't know about the remote traders they mention). If you only have the deposit of £3/6K which they ask for then it is very difficult to make money unless you are already experienced as a trader. However, the desk fees are cheaper than elsewhere so if you are experienced or have a larger deposit then they may be a good option.

Until April 2014 they were trading spot forex before making the switch to futures. I think they are trying to build a reputable company however due to the fact that they have no existing big profitable traders doing a lot of volume and bringing in revenue, they are simply unable to provide a good environment for trainees to become profitable. Hence the churning of newbies.

Good luck.

They negotiate the packages on bulk from their platform supplier so CQG costs almost nothing for them.

it is a classic Arcade set up.

you will NEVER sustain a good living by day trading unless you have a large account, and the likelihood is that if you have a large account you won't be interested in such nonsense.

regarding the MD see my post in response to the above post.
its not hard to unearth the truth if you know where to look.
Reply 13
I had a similar experience earlier this year. Their MD introduced me to a guy as their trading floor manager and said he was a great trader. Later, I found out this "great trader" was on demo account.... It was a complete waste of time and money.
Reply 14
I had the same experience earlier this year. The MD introduced me to guy as their trading floor manager and said he was a great trader. I later found out this "great trader" was on demo account... lol.
Reply 15
Hi there, They have now changed their name again to Zal capital(Zalcapital.com). Remember it was called Southegg first and then changed their name to Bullmose derviative and now Zal capital where the same people operating from the same office address??. it all look a little skeptical. I wonder if they are really and truly a company with in this trading industry.
i will look everywhere before i shake my hand with any of these ppl. if its too good to be true then....
Reply 16
JOHN29 you are wrong. Zalcapital has nothing to do with BullMoose, the reason why Southegg changed their name to BullMoose is because they were initially involved with trading forex, but later changed to trading futures. You need to stop writing false accusations and wrong comments.
Original post by caspia87
JOHN29 you are wrong. Zalcapital has nothing to do with BullMoose, the reason why Southegg changed their name to BullMoose is because they were initially involved with trading forex, but later changed to trading futures. You need to stop writing false accusations and wrong comments.

Coming from a one-post account :giggle:
I imagine it's probably still BullMoose/Southegg/whatever and people should avoid like the plague. It's not even a registered company...
Reply 18
They have changed their name to GHK International now. 3rd name in 2 years. That joker MD is now ousted. Other than that, it is the same guys who trade on demo accounts.
Reply 19
Original post by caspia87

It's VERY obvious who this is from the way they talk and they are certainly from GHK, bullmoose etc

From what I see no one there makes money and they peddle the same strategy of churning people out with false promises whilst the management focus on keeping their own heads afloat with zero regard for anyone actually putting their own money in to make a future in the industry (no pun intended).

It seems the companies Southegg, Bullmoose Derivatives, GHK International and now Odin Capital (?) are all intertwined and should be given serious thought before being considered
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply