The Student Room Group

Should I choose to do an IB instead of A levels??

I'm not sure whether I should do an IB or A Levels. Apart from one grammar school (which is incredibly hard to get into!!! :s-smilie:) there are only a couple of schools that do IBs close to me, my parents say that if it's what I really want they will let me go to one of those schools but I'm really not sure if I will be able to handle the pressure of an IB:frown:!! I would say I'm fairly average in my grades, I'm getting a mixture of B's and A's in most of my subjects but apparently it is tough to get good grades in IB's. I want to go on and do some form of either forensics or criminology but I'm not sure which path to take, I have found a school where the IB subjects I would take would be the same as the A Levels I wanted to take plus Maths and English but Maths and English are the subjects that I can sometimes struggle with depending on what I'm doing in them :colondollar:. So I guess I'm just looking for advice and how you are finding the IB, sorry for rambling but I don't know of anyone who has actually taken the IB before and found most of the information out online!! Thanks
Reply 1
It's hard for sure, but obviously it varies a lot depending on subjects (especially HL). If you do 3 essay subjects at higher, then it can consume your life, and if you do say 2 sciences and maths (which is what I do), it can get really difficult at times.

Honestly, if you know what you want to do, I don't really recommend it. Sure, you get a broader education, and the EE is actually really fun to write, but if I was choosing again, I'd go for A-levels. Especially frustrating is the fact that unis don't really acknowledge how hard it is.
Reply 2
Original post by 0Bluemoon0
I'm not sure whether I should do an IB or A Levels. Apart from one grammar school (which is incredibly hard to get into!!! :s-smilie:) there are only a couple of schools that do IBs close to me, my parents say that if it's what I really want they will let me go to one of those schools but I'm really not sure if I will be able to handle the pressure of an IB:frown:!! I would say I'm fairly average in my grades, I'm getting a mixture of B's and A's in most of my subjects but apparently it is tough to get good grades in IB's. I want to go on and do some form of either forensics or criminology but I'm not sure which path to take, I have found a school where the IB subjects I would take would be the same as the A Levels I wanted to take plus Maths and English but Maths and English are the subjects that I can sometimes struggle with depending on what I'm doing in them :colondollar:. So I guess I'm just looking for advice and how you are finding the IB, sorry for rambling but I don't know of anyone who has actually taken the IB before and found most of the information out online!! Thanks

IB is harder and have no advantage over A levels, so take A levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending