The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by de_monies
This. When I went to Bordeaux, I could easily say "This is France. This and that is different" etc... but when I was in Berlin, I was surprised at how similar it was to London

In what way? The layout, architecture, vibe?
I think Singapore have a very good relationship with the UK, after all you guys did help them during WW2.
Original post by pol pot noodles
In what way? The layout, architecture, vibe?

Pretty much all that. Though Berlin did have a nicer vibe to it than London ie: people seemed a lot friendlier. I mean the main real differences between Germany and the UK I noticed was the fact that the Germans have a big beer and meat culture, whilst we don't as much

They were however missing out on major supermarkets.

That made it pretty hard to find any thing vegetarian, so I had to resort to takeaways to get any halal food...

Tbh, the only thing that I noticed was really different, compared to the UK was the food difference, and that's only because of a lack of supermarkets, and more importance given to meat
Reply 23
Nationalism is retarded concept. Countries and nation-states are manufactured bull****, to entrap people into having cultural pride and loss of personal identity. This leads to division, even war, xenophobia and ethnocentrism. My answer is who cares? Just cause someone loves the U.K is a **** reason to say they will love a British person. It's irrational still can't believe people identify themselves with a country.
On the whole most people here in Australia like and have positive views about the UK.
Original post by Smamii
I'm just wondering what countries 'love' or have a 'positive feel' or would buy a product due to it being a UK brand or even 'aspire' to be more like the UK? Does anyone have any countries in mind? 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scandinavians tend to admire the popular culture of the UK, or at least the ones I've known. Spaniards as well.
Original post by Sazh
Nationalism is retarded concept. Countries and nation-states are manufactured bull****, to entrap people into having cultural pride and loss of personal identity. This leads to division, even war, xenophobia and ethnocentrism. My answer is who cares? Just cause someone loves the U.K is a **** reason to say they will love a British person. It's irrational still can't believe people identify themselves with a country.

No that is simply not true.

The traditional nation state is really an extended family grouping together a people who have perceived or actual ethnic, religious or cultural kinship. People want to live with people who are like them, and in more violent times it was essential for security. If you are say a Pole in the 10th century then you are surrounded by enemies who wish to exploit and/or kill you and your children, grouping together with other Poles and forming an army and border is to the mutual benefit of all Poles. Can, say Germans belong to this country? No, because they can not be trusted to look after the interests of the country like a Pole can, and besides, Poles cant understand a Germans' language or customs. To the West/North/East/South the Germans/Swedish/Russians/Hungarians have done exactly the same. Thus the nation state is created, because people desired it. If it did not already exist it would have to be created.

You can still see that today, why are there Portuguese/Indian/Jewish areas of London? People group themselves together, it's very much a basic human instinct.
(edited 10 years ago)
The US was the first country I thought of when reading the title, because of the Royal Family.
Reply 28
None, that's why we always lose in the Eurovision song contest :s-smilie:
Australia does not have nationalised health care
Original post by Titch Moy
Australia does not have nationalised health care

This thread is KIA. Don't revive five year old threads, check the dates.
Original post by Joinedup

I think we've a closer cultural affinity with the germans than we like to admit tbh. It's a big old world and most of it's a lot more foreign than germany.

Agreed. We have a German queen and as Anglo Saxons, both of those ancestors originate from the Germanic part of Europe. Then of course we like eating Hamburgers and isn't the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square sent from Germany each year?
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. We have a German queen and as Anglo Saxons, both of those ancestors originate from the Germanic part of Europe. Then of course we like eating Hamburgers and isn't the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square sent from Germany each year?

Mmm that christmas tree is actually from Olso to thank London for beating the Germans in WW2 (the rest of the country apparently remained neutral)
I’m not from UK but us American love the UK
Original post by Smamii
I'm just wondering what countries 'love' or have a 'positive feel' or would buy a product due to it being a UK brand or even 'aspire' to be more like the UK? Does anyone have any countries in mind? 😄

Posted from

I’m from the USA not the UK but us Americans really love UK.
I would say Ireland like us very much and i think if am not mistaken Argentina are very big fans aswell.

Latest

Trending

Trending