The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
kizer
I agree you shouldn't have been negged, people don't seem to realise it isn't meant to be a place where you state your disagreement on a point - that is why this is a forum.

But calling vogue editors 'the people who count' is ludicrous. Why? So that if they happen to see you in the street wearing the clothes they peddled they'll smile to themselves knowing they've influenced another random member of the public? You should look how you want to look for your aims and desires.

I do aspire for things that I find aesthetically pleasing. I dont understand, though, how putting greater store by a group of people who have top degrees, and years of experience in the world of aesthetics, who have given their lives over to this pursuit, and who eat breath sleep and live it every day of their lives can possibly be more ridiculous than caring what potential boyfriends think, or worse what randomers on an internet forum think looks good. Surely it is logical that the former is more important than the latter.

What pisses me off is that you seem to be suggesting the only point of looking good is to attract a mate. And that, my friend, is a comment a lot of women, including me, find deeply offensive.
Reply 81
Amnesia
Surely it depends on the sort of man you are looking to pull? Looking reasonably healthy and having average looks might be enough to pull a chav, but you will need a bit more than that to pull someone with any ability/talent/status.

Does every man with ability and talent (I am not much interested by status unless it is in evidence of the former two) have a girlfriend who is incredibly attractive?
Reply 82
allymcb2
I do aspire for things that I find aesthetically pleasing. I dont understand, though, how putting greater store by a group of people who have top degrees, and years of experience in the world of aesthetics, who have given their lives over to this pursuit, and who eat breath sleep and live it every day of their lives can possibly be more ridiculous than caring what potential boyfriends think, or worse what randomers on an internet forum think looks good. Surely it is logical that the former is more important than the latter.

What pisses me off is that you seem to be suggesting the only point of looking good is to attract a mate. And that, my friend, is a comment a lot of women, including me, find deeply offensive.

Look back and you'll see it wasn't me who said that.

But despite the vogue editors' years of experience, it still doesn't follow you should follow them blindly in terms of aesthetics. They have an agenda - to get the most advertising for their magazine to maximise their revenue. They will push things that cost a lot to keep their advertisers happy, so the consumers buy more stuff they don't need. Not a good formula. Also by the way I wouldn't assume they all have 'top degrees'!
Reply 83
Amnesia
Surely it depends on the sort of man you are looking to pull? Looking reasonably healthy and having average looks might be enough to pull a chav, but you will need a bit more than that to pull someone with any ability/talent/status.
Not really. If a girl has average or good looks, I'll try and find out about her, and that's where the all-important factors of personality and sense of humour come in. Even the most popular guys I know use this approach.

- Yorkie.
Reply 84
Yes naturally they have an agenda. But most top-end designers really do love their work and try to make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible. There are some vogue models I think are hideous. Perhaps in the interests of the more 'artistic' side of fashion calling for unusual features. But by enlarge, I think they get it right. And I am certainly more interested in those who consider fashion an art, than those who consider it a means of attracting men or impressing the girlfriends.
Reply 85
allymcb2
Does every man with ability and talent (I am not much interested by status unless it is in evidence of the former two) have a girlfriend who is incredibly attractive?

No, not every man becasue obviously personality is just as important. I just disagree with you when you say that 'men are easy to please'. Inevitably some men will have higher standards than others and often those men with higher standards are the ones who are the most successsful. I certainly think that the more talented or more ability the man has the higher his standards will be in terms of a potential partner. Looking reasonably healthy is not enough to pull any man with any sort of standards I'm afraid.

Yorkiebar
Not really. If a girl has average or good looks, I'll try and find out about her, and that's where the all-important factors of personality and sense of humour come in. Even the most popular guys I know use this approach.

Does that mean you are easy to please though as allymcb2 claimed? If men were easy to please why do women spend so much time trying to improve their looks? They certainly are not doing it just for their own personal self-esteem as allymcb2 is claiming.
Reply 86
Amnesia
Does that mean you are easy to please though as allymcb2 claimed? If men were easy to please why do women spend so much time trying to improve their looks? They certainly are not doing it just for their own personal self-esteem as allymcb2 is claiming.
1) It doesn't mean that we're easy to please, it just means that we don't care about looks quite as much as women think. We're not completely shallow.

2) It's probably just a woman thing. Regardless of the actual facts, women will always try to look their best for potential partners, for themselves and for other women, because beauty is more psychologically and socially important to women than men.

- Yorkie.

EDIT: Just edited my post slightly because I realised Amnesia was male.
Reply 87
Amnesia
No, not every man becasue obviously personality is just as important. I just disagree with you when you say that 'men are easy to please'. Inevitably some men will have higher standards than others and often those men with higher standards are the ones who are the most successsful. I certainly think that the more talented or more ability the man has the higher his standards will be in terms of a potential partner. Looking reasonably healthy is not enough to pull any man with any sort of standards I'm afraid.

Thats my whole point. Most women are doing it for their own self esteem and no other reason. We dont just exist to pander to, please and obtain men. If I had a choice between a) being me and going out with Colin Firth or b) being rachel Weisz and being single forever, I would choose the latter.

And I disagree with your comment about increasing standards. Many highly successful men date women who Vogue would not put on their front cover. They have lower standards than vogue.
Reply 88
allymcb2
Thats my whole point. Most women are doing it for their own self esteem and no other reason. We dont just exist to pander to, please and obtain men. If I had a choice between a) being me and going out with Colin Firth or b) being rachel Weisz and being single forever, I would choose the latter.

This is where I and most people would disagree with you. One of the main reasons why women are trying to improve their looks and self-esteem is because they want to look as attractive to the opposite sex as possibe. This is just natural biology and the society we live in. Also, I have to say that you are very superficial if you would rather be single and attractive for your whole life, than be average looking and have relationship with a man and potentially a family.

allymcb2
And I disagree with your comment about increasing standards. Many highly successful men date women who Vogue would not put on their front cover. They have lower standards than vogue.

Maybe they would not get on the cover of Vogue, but you will find a correlation between successful men and attractive women. Unfortunately, that is the sort of world we live in. Women are not just trying to improve their looks for their own self-esteem, they are also looking to compete for the best possible mate.
Reply 89
I find your assumptions about what women want entirely offensive. They do not apply to me, they do not apply to a lot of other women and the fact that people make that assumption is EXTREMELY irritating.

And by the way, in the world we live in, you dont need a man to have a family. We have sperm banks and adoption.

No, you find a correlation between successful men and what men find attractive which is entirely different from the models that we see walking down the catwalk every day. The article was talking about the extent to which the media and the fashion world makes ordinary women who are perfectly capable of attracting successful partners who they are in love with, feel bad.
Reply 90
allymcb2
I find your assumptions about what women want entirely offensive. They do not apply to me, they do not apply to a lot of other women and the fact that people make that assumption is EXTREMELY irritating.

They might not apply to you, but they certainly apply to most other women. I don't see anyone else backing you up during this thread. All I can say is that you are very superficial if you want to look attractive, just for the sake of looking attractive.

allymcb2
And by the way, in the world we live in, you dont need a man to have a family. We have sperm banks and adoption.

You can't have a proper family without a father.

allymcb2
No, you find a correlation between successful men and what men find attractive which is entirely different from the models that we see walking down the catwalk every day. The article was talking about the extent to which the media and the fashion world makes ordinary women who are perfectly capable of attracting successful partners who they are in love with, feel bad.

It is only becasue ordinary women support and buy into the industry that it continues to grow. Unfortunately most young women today are quite superficial and that is why the industry is thriving.
Reply 91
Amnesia
All I can say is that you are very superficial if you want to look attractive, just for the sake of looking attractive.

I don't particularly try to look attractive in order to attract guys, I put the effort in so that I feel confident and happy with the way that I look. Sure, it may be superficial, but I'd definitely prefer to go to the gym and eat healthily in order to feel confident than be fat with no confidence, as it would affect my relationships with friends, boyfriends, anyone really.

Amnesia
You can't have a proper family without a father.

If a person's father was to die, that wouldn't immediately mean they had no family, however I'm with you in that I wouldn't START a family without a father.
Reply 92
squirly
I don't particularly try to look attractive in order to attract guys, I put the effort in so that I feel confident and happy with the way that I look. Sure, it may be superficial, but I'd definitely prefer to go to the gym and eat healthily in order to feel confident than be fat with no confidence, as it would affect my relationships with friends, boyfriends, anyone really.

I agree with what you are saying. I am not saying that the only reason a women wants to look attractive is because of the opposite sex, but I do think it is one of the reasons.

squirly
If a person's father was to die, that wouldn't immediately mean they had no family, however I'm with you in that I wouldn't START a family without a father.

Obviously if the father was to die then they would still be a family. I just don't believe that you can set up a proper and successful family without a father.
Reply 93
Agreed :smile:
Reply 94
I believe that you can set up a proper successful family without a father, and I would certainly consider it. Maybe women support and buy into an industry which has an ideal of feminine perfection which is different from most men because they care more about looking how they want to look than how men would prefer them to look. I dont see how that is superficial. I am not saying that beauty is all that matters. But beauty is an achievement in itself it is not just a means to something else.
squirly

True. But allymcb2 is claiming that she would rather be incredibly attractive and yet not be able to get a boyfriend - surely that's more confidence-draining than anything? Eating healthily is fine. Going to the gym is fine. Getting bits of skin hacked off your body, or getting your legs raised a couple of inches, or melting your face, isn't fine. It's stupid.

allymcb2
I believe that you can set up a proper successful family without a father, and I would certainly consider it. Maybe women support and buy into an industry which has an ideal of feminine perfection which is different from most men because they care more about looking how they want to look than how men would prefer them to look. I dont see how that is superficial. I am not saying that beauty is all that matters. But beauty is an achievement in itself it is not just a means to something else.

I see your point, but it's still horribly superficial, backed up by the fact that you would happily raise a kid who wouldn't know who their father was, and to compound the insult, you wouldn't know or care either. That's horrible. As for "beauty is an achievement" - it isn't an achievement at all. Some people are "beautiful" without doing anything. Achievement implies striving for a goal - these people were just born. Whatever, point is that I can see what you're saying but you're also telling me you would give up your happiness or your chance of finding a partner if you could make yourself beautiful. Why?? Surely being happy is your aim in making yourself more beautiful - and yet you would happily give up all chances of finding a boyfriend who'd make you happy, or of being happy in general, just for this one superficial thing?

I am perfectly content with what I look like - I haven't lowered my standards, I've just ceased to care. This doesn't mean I'm secretly upset but I pretend to be happy, or I look in the mirror thinking "I don't like that, but I accept myself so I'm not going to do anything about it". I accept what I look like. I am content with it. I'm not unhappy about anything to the extent where I would go out of my way to change it through joining a gym or having surgery performed on myself. Equally I'm not "proud" of anything to the extent where I would show it off. I'm content. That's not a lowering of standards; it's "enough for me", and until the day when it stops being enough for me, I will spend my money on something more worthwhile like having a good time or something to get me through my studies or food or something like that.

Amnesia

Absolutely ridiculous. I have no more to say.

black_mamba
Sure, maybe seeking the pleasure of looking like a supermodel isn't to everyone's tastes, but since when did we all have to agree on such a personal issue anyway? Freedom of choice is exactly that, that we can choose whether we want to seek [seemingly shallower] pleasures over others, if we so please.

Of course, but beauty won't make a long-standing relationship - beauty fades. If long-lasting relationships aren't what you want, fine. But since people's opinions of this change so violently and so unpredictably I don't think anyone can really say "I never want a relationship, ever". "Shallow" is not a subjective word.

allymcb2
And the article was about 'accepting yourself' ie accepting that you are not perfect and being happy about it. In other words, it is telling everyone who is unhappy with themselves to lower their standards so they can be happy. Personally I have more respect for people that hate themselves. At least they have standards and are able to make judgements about themselves. That is not true of people who just lower their standards to make themself feel better.

Is it not possible to hate your own personality? :p: Anyway, I'm able to make judgements about myself. I haven't lowered my standards at all, I can still see my own imperfections. But I'm human and I'm happy to stay that way. If people can't like me for who I am, they're the shallow ones, not me.

allymcb2
But I dont care what the men think. Men are easy to please. I care about what the vogue editors think. They are the people who count.

This is probably why you think fathers are now a redundant part of our society. True, maybe my father is a redundant part of my life right now, but if I hadn't known him for 17 years, I wouldn't be the person I am, and I am incredibly grateful I knew him. Any child deserves a father's point of view - and if that means being easy to please then so be it. It's like the optimism/pessimism thing. If men are easy to please they'll be happy more often. If women are hard to please they'll strive for excellence, but they'll never be happy. Pessimists spend their lives being proved right or pleasantly surprised; guess who has the more satisfying life.
Simulatio

One of the effects of living in an intensely visual world, in which we see 3,000 ads a week portraying digitally enhanced (and decreased) women, is that our own eyes have become a critical lens. We don’t see ourselves as living, breathing bodies so much as body parts and surfaces that fail compared to the “perfect” body parts presented to us. We are bound not to have those kinds of bodies because no one does. As Claudia Schiffer famously said, “Even I don’t look like Claudia Schiffer.”
Looking good is really important to women today. It always has been, but in the olden days it was the reserve of the wealthy or the glamorous; for the rest of us it only mattered for a short period of our lives.
Now, the idea of beauty has become more democratic. We can all be beautiful, which slides into we should all be beautiful.

I would have said it's only ugly, fat and frumpy peolpe who said this but that would be unfair in this day and age and incorrect when you look at your photo. Mabye you're saying it because you look nice and have no idea how it feels for the less attractive women (a less insulting description apparently) to be surronded by the gorgeous and glamourus(sp?)
allymcb2
I think its awful. 'Stop trying to improve yourself and accept being crap in order to make yourself feel happy'. If I get THAT desperate for happiness I'll go down the heroin route.

Or maybe it's realise you're not crap.
Reply 98
matt@internet
I would have said it's only ugly, fat and frumpy peolpe who said this but that would be unfair in this day and age and incorrect when you look at your photo. Mabye you're saying it because you look nice and have no idea how it feels for the less attractive women (a less insulting description apparently) to be surronded by the gorgeous and glamourus(sp?)

Thank you =)
And I didn't write this - I typed it up from a magazie article. x
Reply 99
allymcb2
You see, I dont believe happiness is more perfect than a six pack. I dont believe success has to be a means to happiness. It can be an end in itself. And yes, so what if you were going to be disappointed? I'd rather be 8 stone 7 and miserable than 8stone 8 and happy.

Thats pathetic. I'm sorry, that is utterly pathetic. Its 1 lb, that is it.

I'm trying to work out who or what you remind me of, and I think its those trashy magazines that highlight as soon as a celeb puts on a tiny bit of weight, but then complain when they get too low.

TBH, I find this thread funny now. It started off as a motivational thread for the people suffering with BDD, Eating Disorders, and general low self esteem.

Funny how the same person always seems to flip the thread topic...

Latest

Trending

Trending