The Student Room Group

The A2 OCR Chemistry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SavannaC
Hey, Same! My coursework messed me up :frown:

Oh, for me it was F322 (organic chemistry).
Reply 21
Hello. Anyone do OCR B?
Reply 22
We have done, rates of reaction, equilibrium, acids and lattice enthalpy so far :smile: woop
Reply 23
I am so crap at practicals! How do you all prepare and improve on it? :s-smilie: I got a C on it last year and doing even worse at these A2 practicals :/ So frustrating. They tell us what vague topics we should look at and when I revise all the theory for it, it doesn't seem to help as nothing of it really comes up since it's all about the experimental side of it and calculations gahh so it's nothing I can prepare for really. What do you guys do please??
Reply 24
Original post by keromedic
Oh, for me it was F322 (organic chemistry).

Ohh, (n)
What grade did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SavannaC
Ohh, (n)
What grade did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

chem.PNG
Reply 26
hey, as anyone done the quantitative ISA on rates, kinetcs etc. I have it on thursday !

REALLY dreading it, been so busy with UCAS and volunteering and so much to do this week !!

Need an A too !! :frown:
Reply 27
Hello, I'm OCR A.
Got a B at AS.

Same here! I was 1 UMS from an A which was a bummer. I messed up in F322.
Original post by D41VNY
hey, as anyone done the quantitative ISA on rates, kinetcs etc. I have it on thursday !

REALLY dreading it, been so busy with UCAS and volunteering and so much to do this week !!

Yep. I got 15/15 in it :h:.
Reply 29
omg ! I have no clue what im doing ! I thought i understood all the theory but in practicals and homeworks i completely fail !! :'(
what was on it ? :tongue:
Original post by D41VNY

Yep, cant really say that much though, its really quite simple. Just make sure you know all the rate stuff from the book and read through the experiment sheet carefully because there a lot of chemicals you have to mix together and it can get quite confusing.
Have you done any practice in class for it ?
Reply 31
Original post by kahinalouise
Yep, cant really say that much though, its really quite simple. Just make sure you know all the rate stuff from the book and read through the experiment sheet carefully because there a lot of chemicals you have to mix together and it can get quite confusing.
Have you done any practice in class for it ?

we did but i had no clue what i was doing when we answered the questions, literally - 0 correct !

SOOO STRESSED RIGHT NOW !!
Reply 32
Yep. I got 15/15 in it :h:.

no ?? :frown::frown:
Original post by D41VNY
omg ! I have no clue what im doing ! I thought i understood all the theory but in practicals and homeworks i completely fail !! :'(
what was on it ? :tongue:

Just standard stuff. I can't remember it. Maybe you should post some of the hard homework qs so I, and others, can help :biggrin:.
Reply 34
Just standard stuff. I can't remember it. Maybe you should post some of the hard homework qs so I, and others, can help :biggrin:.

okay,

how do you know what kind of tangent to draw, ie is it going towards the left (y-axis) or to the right. for example we did a practice and my gradient was completely wrong because i drew it to the left (it was 1/t on Y and volume on X)

what are the application questions like ?

how can you determine the order of reaction of another solution ? in the Q it was H+

what evidence is there that there is more than one step ?

what evidence suggests that H+ ions act as a catalyst?
Original post by D41VNY
okay,

how do you know what kind of tangent to draw, ie is it going towards the left (y-axis) or to the right. for example we did a practice and my gradient was completely wrong because i drew it to the left (it was 1/t on Y and volume on X)

what are the application questions like ?

how can you determine the order of reaction of another solution ? in the Q it was H+

what evidence is there that there is more than one step ?

what evidence suggests that H+ ions act as a catalyst?

When you plot the results, you should know what line you need to draw, it should be pretty obvious.

Use values from your graph to determine the order, For example if your reaction was first order what would happen to the rate of reaction if you doubled the volume ??

Do you know what the rate determining step is, how would you find this step from the rate equation ??

To see the catalyst you would have to write out all the steps of the reaction, there would be a species that is generated in the first step and used in the second step but wouldn't appear in the overall equation, its easier to see when you do it.
Original post by D41VNY
okay,

1.how do you know what kind of tangent to draw, ie is it going towards the left (y-axis) or to the right. for example we did a practice and my gradient was completely wrong because i drew it to the left (it was 1/t on Y and volume on X)

2.what are the application questions like ?

3.how can you determine the order of reaction of another solution ? in the Q it was H+

4.what evidence is there that there is more than one step ?

5.what evidence suggests that H+ ions act as a catalyst?

1.The tangent has the same gradient as the curve at that point, so it depends on the curve
2.I can't remember, honestly.
3.Repeating the experiment in another solution, shouldn't affect the order.
4.If the stoichiometry of reactants in the rate equation isn't the same as reactants in the overall equation.
5.If they are used up in the reaction and regenerated at the end.
Reply 37
Thanks guys !!

how would you determine the order solely from a table and not a graph and are there any other ways to determine the order ?

how long should your tangent be? My teacher said that you should take it all the way to the axis, he then however did some examples where he didn't.

in a hwk there was this Q

equation : 2N2O5 --> 2N2O4 + O2

what is the rate of producyion of oxygen, O2, in moldm-3 min-1 after 20 mins ?

how would you go about working this out?

and how many questions are there on the ISA?

(took me a while becuase i had to go get my folder for hwks)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Bump
Reply 39
Original post by D41VNY
Thanks guys !!

how would you determine the order solely from a table and not a graph and are there any other ways to determine the order ?

how long should your tangent be? My teacher said that you should take it all the way to the axis, he then however did some examples where he didn't.

in a hwk there was this Q

equation : 2N2O5 --> 2N2O4 + O2

what is the rate of producyion of oxygen, O2, in moldm-3 min-1 after 20 mins ?

how would you go about working this out?

and how many questions are there on the ISA?

(took me a while becuause i had to go get my folder for hwks)

any takers ?

Quick Reply

Latest