The Student Room Group

Subject choices in Year 12

I had a talk with my Sixth-form head today.
She said my AS levels qualifications (Chemistry, Business Stuides, Maths, Further Maths) wont advantage me against choosing Law. She claimed that an art and science subject choices are more suitable for Law.

It is for true that I am in a disadvantagable position? I got really confused at the moment as I really want to become a lawyer....
Reply 1
Your subjects are absolutely fine. I see no reason why you would be disadvantaged in applying anywhere. You're doing 3 rigorous subjects in Maths, F. Maths and Chemistry, and Business Studies is a good addition to these three.

What are your GCSE grades?
Reply 2
Someone said Uni is interested in subject like History for Law.:frown: I really have no genuine idea about that. But I believe my subjects involve loads of critical thinking stuff.

Anyway I did HKCEE, surely, in Hong Kong.
Bs: Chinese, Additional Maths
Cs: Chemistry, Biology, Maths,
Ds: Physics, English, Computer n Information Technology

which indeed is crap :redface: ..
Reply 3
Chri^s^
Someone said Uni is interested in subject like History for Law.:frown: I really have no genuine idea about that. But I believe my subjects involve loads of critical thinking stuff.

Anyway I did HKCEE, surely, in Hong Kong.
Bs: Chinese, Additional Maths
Cs: Chemistry, Biology, Maths,
Ds: Physics, English, Computer n Information Technology

which indeed is crap :redface: ..

History is a good subject to do for Law, but it is my no means essential and not all [by a long way] of those who study Law at university will have taken History A-level.

Again, don't worry about your subjects. They're good.

You might, however, want to do something about the D in HKCEE English [you will need to find out if you'll need a C to get into university, contact the law schools you're interested in].
Reply 4
Anyway can I compensate it by my IELTS score of 7.0 (each part 7.0)?
and literally,, I do think the HKCEE is even harder than the AS levels in UK
Reply 5
Chri^s^
I do think the HKCEE is even harder than the AS levels in UK
I don't know anything about the HKCEE but I imagine that most exams are harder than AS levels. Some of them are just stupidly simple. A2 is a bit more difficult but still not terribly taxing.
Reply 6
^^ Hmmm. This is true only for some subjects. History, for example, is the perfect example of a subject that is easy at GCSE but there is a huge leap from GCSE to AS.

I found AS level English Lang and Religious Studies a piece of piss [nearly everyone in my class got A's and nobody got less than a B], however at A2 I thought English Lang became quite hard and I didn't maintain my A from AS but then I did no work and just ****ed all year so no real surprises there.
Reply 7
RR
^^ Hmmm. This is true only for some subjects. History, for example, is the perfect example of a subject that is easy at GCSE but there is a huge leap from GCSE to AS.

I found AS level English Lang and Religious Studies a piece of piss [nearly everyone in my class got A's and nobody got less than a B], however at A2 I thought English Lang became quite hard and I didn't maintain my A from AS but then I did no work and just ****ed all year so no real surprises there.
Hmm, I didn't find History a huge leap up. English Language AS is pretty simple though. I got 293/300 for it. The A-level is certainly much harder though. I have the synoptic paper today. I don't think I need many marks on it to get an A overall.
History is one of the ones of a bigger leap because you can get an A* for GCSE by just knowing stuff and blurting it all down. A-level requires some structure and its about essay technique, indeed it is said that the "A" essays for history are a far higher standard than those of english (might not be true, i didnt do english!!). But this certainlysets you up for uni and there is respect for history, if you cant argue correctly coherently and strongly you will be screwed at uni.
Reply 9
Lewis-HuStuJCR
History is one of the ones of a bigger leap because you can get an A* for GCSE by just knowing stuff and blurting it all down. A-level requires some structure and its about essay technique, indeed it is said that the "A" essays for history are a far higher standard than those of english (might not be true, i didnt do english!!). But this certainlysets you up for uni and there is respect for history, if you cant argue correctly coherently and strongly you will be screwed at uni.
Hmm, I got a B in GCSE History and an A in AS History. I personally found the latter easier. However, I did miss a third of my History lessons due to illness so that might have something to do with the B grade.
Are my choices good for Law (please see sig)? Any feedback would be helpful, thanks.
Reply 11
You can do ANY a levels for law (well, except law, psychology, sociology, business etc if you're applying to LSE :tongue:)

To be honest, i think they favour sciences just as much as arts subjects because they give you different skills... logic, evidence etc.
Reply 12
Regarding the A-level History comments..

I found AS-level History more difficult than A2, I think this is because one of the modules covered several periods in German history [right from before Bismarck through to the rise of Hitler] whereas at A2 the Germany module we did was purely on the Nazi state, it was more focused. Despite History being a huge leap I didn't find it particularly difficult, I got an A anyway.

History at A-level is one of those subjects that requires you to really think. If you listen properly in class and read widely and think about the issues then you'll do well, but it's harder than GCSE in the sense that it's much more than just remembering a few facts and dates [which GCSE was].
Reply 13
calcium878
Are my choices good for Law (please see sig)? Any feedback would be helpful, thanks.

Your A-level choices are essentially perfect.
Reply 14
darkfairy
Just to point out that sociology isn't on the LSE blacklist.

Is it not? Good. It was hard this year lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending