Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UCL Medicine Applicants 2014

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, just thought I'd start this thread since I haven't spotted one on TSR for 2014 applicants!

Who else is applying to UCL? I definitely am - I'd love to study at such a diverse and multi-cultural university! Feel free to share your academic stats and any questions about the medical school! How's everyone's preparation for BMAT going?

Good luck to you all!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thought I might make the frightful transition from persistent lurker to obsessed applicant! :cool:

I'm applying to UCL too; I love the course, and all those language SSCs look really awesome!!!

Now I just need to avoid failing the BMAT......
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How are you guys revising and for how long?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yay, more anxious worried people I can share my stomach aches with

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hi, How are you ?)
    I've got the 400Q book (although it's really kinda useless for S1 because it's all maths qs and I'm feeling ok on those after UKCAT!) and I've been doing some past TSA papers to practice the reasoning questions; I'm trying to keep some actual BMAT past papers aside for half-term!

I really need to start revising for S2 though. My memory of anything before sixth form is lacking...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hi, How are you ?)
    I try to do a few hours a day - physics is my main worry! Don't know how they call it GCSE Physics! :eek:

Has anyone done the Kaplan BMAT course and if so would you recommend it?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh finally someone started a UCL thread
    How does UCL use the BMAT, are there Imperial-esque cut-offs or is it hollistic?

I have so much school work that BMAT revision is killing me
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razer_M)
    Ahh finally someone started a UCL thread
    How does UCL use the BMAT, are there Imperial-esque cut-offs or is it hollistic?

I have so much school work that BMAT revision is killing me
    I think it's holistic. There seems to be applicants with sub-average scores who get offers, and equally some with great ones who miss out. I think they tend to look at an applicant's profile to select them for interview, so if you have really good AS grades or a great personal statement if may overbear lower BMAT scores. Plus, I remember reading on a thread somewhere that they operate a "clean slate" at interview, so once you get an interview, you getting in is all based on that.

I'm definitely no expert, so take anything I say with a pinch of salt, although I really hope I'm right, because I'm kinda relying on this to get me an interview if I fail the BMAT!!!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceryni)
    I think it's holistic. There seems to be applicants with sub-average scores who get offers, and equally some with great ones who miss out. I think they tend to look at an applicant's profile to select them for interview, so if you have really good AS grades or a great personal statement if may overbear lower BMAT scores. Plus, I remember reading on a thread somewhere that they operate a "clean slate" at interview, so once you get an interview, you getting in is all based on that.

I'm definitely no expert, so take anything I say with a pinch of salt, although I really hope I'm right, because I'm kinda relying on this to get me an interview if I fail the BMAT!!!
    Ah right, double edged sword for me - im liking the hollisitc-ness...but not relishing this 'everyone on equal footing for interview and nothing else matters' Thanks!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razer_M)
    Ah right, double edged sword for me - im liking the hollisitc-ness...but not relishing this 'everyone on equal footing for interview and nothing else matters' Thanks!
    I'm not certain if it's that clear cut and certain, but on the "What to Expect at a Medicine interview" article, for UCL it states:

"No candidate will be interviewed without a place being potentially available for them, therefore having a later interview will not disadvantage the candidate."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to UCL. I applied last year but got rejected however I really like UCL so I'm applying again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babychocolate)
    I'm applying to UCL. I applied last year but got rejected however I really like UCL so I'm applying again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry to hear :mad: What were the reasons you were rejected, if you don't mind sharing that is?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeniusDoctor)
    Sorry to hear :mad: What were the reasons you were rejected, if you don't mind sharing that is?
    I don't mind, I was rejected after interview. They sent me a letter after which basically said that I was close to getting a offer but that they thought I would benefit from a gap year to gain maturity, confidence and experience or something like that and that I should reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind, I was rejected after interview. They sent me a letter after which basically said that I was close to getting a offer but that they thought I would benefit from a gap year to gain maturity, confidence and experience or something like that and that I should reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I see, I'm sorry to hear - how was your BMAT last year? I'm a gap year student too! Best of luck this time around
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see, I'm sorry to hear - how was your BMAT last year? I'm a gap year student too! Best of luck this time around
    My bmat was pretty rubbish, 4.7, 4.3, 3C. I was shocked that I even got an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My bmat was pretty rubbish, 4.7, 4.3, 3C. I was shocked that I even got an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congrats anyway, doesn't make a difference as long as they got you your interview at UCL! Good luck on this round
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Congrats anyway, doesn't make a difference as long as they got you your interview at UCL! Good luck on this round
    Thanks, good luck to you too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    GUYS do we need to mention the BMAT in our UCAS forms at all????

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hummi_C)
    GUYS do we need to mention the BMAT in our UCAS forms at all????

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, because you don't know it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is ucl really particular about GCSEs? Cause mine kinda sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 29, 2014
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.