The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimmmyw
Yes I would say the same we must keep the patient-docotor relationship so she can trust the NHS (hospitals, doctors etc..) in the future. Therefore, keep confidentiality but try to see why/how she can try and get her parents support too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it would really help if parents were involved somehow :smile:
This thread is just showing me how underprepared I am!! Here y'all finding out this ethics stuff?
Reply 42
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
So shall we get the ball rolling or what?

A girl comes to see her GP in which she requests a pregnancy test. She finds out she is pregnant and wants to abort it without the the parents getting involved.

What should the GP do?

It would be wise to consider points like capacity/competency, legal right, patient autonomy, how many weeks, 4 ethics of principle and confidentiality. :smile:

How old is she? This question is only vaguely interesting if she is under 16.
Original post by Helenia
How old is she? This question is only vaguely interesting if she is under 16.

Ooops I forgot to include she was 14, that's why I mentioned parents.
Reply 44
I read an interview question that was 'What setbacks do you think doctors find in their careers?'
I know a lot of hardships/pressures that a doctor may face however wondered if anyone had suggestions of setbacks?
Reply 45
The fact that the current government is out to discredit, demoralise and devalue us, probably so they can eventually justify privatising the entire system (because obviously private companies always work brilliantly and never go bankrupt costing hundreds of millions of taxpayers' money *cough*banks*cough*) is a bit ****.
Reply 46
This sounds really stupid but do you think they'll care about dyed hair at interview? Mine is dyed auburn but I'm a natural brunette. It could be seen as natural because I'm quite pale with blue eyes but it just occured to me they might not like it?
What are they generally like at med school with piercings/tattoos/dyed hair?
Reply 47
Original post by sidmanny
This sounds really stupid but do you think they'll care about dyed hair at interview? Mine is dyed auburn but I'm a natural brunette. It could be seen as natural because I'm quite pale with blue eyes but it just occured to me they might not like it?
What are they generally like at med school with piercings/tattoos/dyed hair?

I'm sure they'll be fine with dyed hair as long as it's not any wild colour. As I understand it you're trying to project the image that you are the sort of person who would fit well in to the professional / responsible role.

That's the same with piercings and tattoos / piercings - if they're discrete then hopefully it won't be a problem, but nothing too out there might be a good idea! :smile:
Reply 48
Lack of continuity of care 'cause instead of looking after your patients all the time you're constantly on the back foot either handing them over to somebody else or having them handed over to you. It's difficult to feel really confident when almost everybody, no matter how complicated, is somebody you've only just met.

Starting a family can be a set-back depending on what path you go down, so can moving jobs or your partner moving jobs because you can be quite tied down (unless you become a GP).

Having to get involved in managing millions of £££ despite having literally ZERO training in management, finance or anything related and also having a vested interest in where the money goes (which is a double edged sword when you have to say no to things!).

Horrible question to ask you, I reckon!
Reply 49
Anyone else going to Ace medicine?
Original post by Priya_Biju
Anyone else going to Ace medicine?

I wasn't sure whether to go to Ace or ICS interview course :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Il second that

Il third that.
Reply 52
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as what medical current affairs I should be looking into and reading about before I attend my interviews at medical schools. I haven't really got a clue where to start. help please?:confused:
Reply 53
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as what medical current affairs I should be looking into and reading about before I attend my interviews at medical schools. I haven't really got a clue where to start. help please?
Reply 54
Original post by Kurtised
x

I've moved your thread here :smile:
Reply 55
Current and interesting issues in healthcare...
NHS 'Reforms'
GP Commissioning
Francis Report - main findings
Principles of allocating limited resources
Movement of care out into the community
24 hour GPs
Patient choice

I have no idea if they'd come up in your interview or not but they're all very relevant and interesting anyway! Having thought about a few things like resource allocation, community care (involving social care, charities etc., trying to keep people out of hospitals) can never do you any harm.
How about some of the research that is going on recently?

discovery of neuron apoptosis inhibiting gene (Was quite big in the news recently)
Advancements in surgical technology
The usual X cures cancer/ Y causes cancer crap (I would avoid that tbh)

Also allowing doctors with Aids to preform surgery
Banning Homosexuals from donating blood ( I think there's a 12 month limit now)
Increase in prion disease (vCJD)

Tbh, there are so many interesting things going on, I'm surprised you want to do medicine and
"Dont know where to start"
Reply 57
Original post by babychocolate
I wasn't sure whether to go to Ace or ICS interview course :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I literally just enrolled in for ace med for November 3 :smile:
How about you demonstrate your curiosity for the subject, an ability to conduct targeted research, and an awareness of the importance of continued professional development ( all key requirements of medical students and thence doctors) by finding out for yourself....?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 59
Subbing :smile:
Urrggghhh don't want to think about interviews till I'm done with the beast that is BMAT!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending