The Student Room Group

Summer school

Hello! I'm a Dutch prospective student and would like to attend a summer school in the United Kingdom between July and August. Subjects such as English and Philosophy really interest me, but the problem is that many summer schools are either ridiculously expensive or only eligible to students within the UK. I'm actually looking for a summer school which accepts international students between the ages of 16 and 18. I'm also afraid that expensive summer schools only show your wealth instead of potential. The main goal is to increase my chances of studying at an (prestigious) university in the future. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any statistics or experiences telling me if it actually helps a lot. Maybe it should be seen more as an extracurricular activity instead of academic content. If anyone has had any experiences or thoughts which could help me, please do share! Thank you. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
It doesn't actually help anywhere near as much as you think it will.

Universities are looking for your academic potential (as shown through your actual / predicted grades) and interest in the subject (as demonstrated in your PS - further reading will be very relevant to your course) and English proficiency (as demonstrated by a IELTS / TOEFL test). Paid for summer schools are nice, but they won't actually impress admissions tutors that much in all honesty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending