The Student Room Group

Does an Art and Design FOUNDATION YEAR get funded by your STUDENT LOAN?

I'm really confused! I don't understand how Art Foundation Years work. If you're going to do it at a university, do you start getting your student loan then and do you move into your halls then? Or do you have to pay for it immediately yourself? Please help.
Reply 1
I beleive foundation art and design courses are exactly the same as any foundation course. This would mean you would be able to get student funding for it.

Usually your student loan is paid within a few days of starting your course and you pay your accommodation afterwards. You should speak with the uni you plan on attending to check their processes though. Especially as you are likely to need to pay a deposit before you get your loan.
Reply 2
Original post by RobEllis_UK
I beleive foundation art and design courses are exactly the same as any foundation course. This would mean you would be able to get student funding for it.

Usually your student loan is paid within a few days of starting your course and you pay your accommodation afterwards. You should speak with the uni you plan on attending to check their processes though. Especially as you are likely to need to pay a deposit before you get your loan.

its totally different
Reply 3
Original post by rphillipson
I'm really confused! I don't understand how Art Foundation Years work. If you're going to do it at a university, do you start getting your student loan then and do you move into your halls then? Or do you have to pay for it immediately yourself? Please help.

Art & Design Foundation Years are free for students under 19 when they start & there are no student loans available. Most people study it at a local college unless they have parents rich enough to pay for their accomodation & living costs.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
Art & Design Foundation Years are free for students under 19 when they start & there are no student loans available. Most people study it at a local college unless they have parents rich enough to pay for their accomodation & living costs.

Just double checked and you are right as long as they are classed as a course at further education level.

Looking at some websites it appears some uni's offer it at a HE level too, which would then attract loans and grants BUT these websites aren't brilliantly clear and art and design courses clearly aren't something i know alot about. Its just important to check with the uni you are attending.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending