The Student Room Group

how long do you revise?

how much time do you guys spend revising everyday in order to get straight A's :smile:
Original post by DLau88
how much time do you guys spend revising everyday in order to get straight A's :smile:

At GCSE: 0 hours

At A level:
Basically full time revision for the few weeks before each exam
(A*AAa)
Original post by Motorbiker
At GCSE: 0 hours

At A level:
Basically full time revision for the few weeks before each exam
(A*AAa)

didn't you revise daily? my economics teacher keeps banging on about how we have to revise the lesson's topic when we get home

For a level
Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
didn't you revise daily? my economics teacher keeps banging on about how we have to revise the lesson's topic when we get home

For a level

No, literally didn't even open my work at home until just before each exam. It depends on the subject though and how much you understoof the topic in class. Mine were all sciencey subjects and if i understood how to do mole calculations in chemistry in class then i don't need to revise it that evening.

If you're doing humanities subjects you may need more time for reading etc.
Reply 4

For a level

I revise daily taking A2 Biology, Maths and English Language. I find its important to learn it and revise it as you go along so you don't get overloaded in the build-up to exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
No, literally didn't even open my work at home until just before each exam. It depends on the subject though and how much you understoof the topic in class. Mine were all sciencey subjects and if i understood how to do mole calculations in chemistry in class then i don't need to revise it that evening.

If you're doing humanities subjects you may need more time for reading etc.

yeah i haven't been revising daily and I agree because I understand the work and everything, but I also agree with:
Original post by MarkProbio
I revise daily taking A2 Biology, Maths and English Language. I find its important to learn it and revise it as you go along so you don't get overloaded in the build-up to exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's how I feel too :smile: If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in AS?
Reply 6
yeah i haven't been revising daily and I agree because I understand the work and everything, but I also agree with:

That's how I feel too :smile: If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in AS?

I got AAAB. One mark off an A in my final subject! :frown:
Original post by MarkProbio
I got AAAB. One mark off an A in my final subject! :frown:

Why didn't you get it remarked? That's reallyyy good though!!! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Why didn't you get it remarked? That's reallyyy good though!!! :biggrin:

I was initially 2 marks off... now 1 mark off after a remark! Thank you though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As much as I can without driving myself crazy! (It's good to have a social life too) Consistency is the key. The earlier you work, the less stressed you'll be during exam season. :biggrin:
I haven't actually had a proper exam, where an exam counts towards a qualification because I've just started GCSE

But I think it will depend on the person, how easy it is for you to understand the subject, how long it takes for you to remember things from lessons, how much you enjoy the subject etc
At A-Level I usually began my revision about six weeks before each exam, and I'd do about four-five hours of work a day if I was on study leave. That doesn't sound like very much but I tried to work as effectively as I could and I never forced myself to revise if I was really not feeling it! I'd regularly have whole days off from revision as well, it helped me refresh.

Edit: my subjects were biology, maths, further maths and geography!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Where'sPerry?
At A-Level I usually began my revision about six weeks before each exam, and I'd do about four-five hours of work a day if I was on study leave. That doesn't sound like very much but I tried to work as effectively as I could and I never forced myself to revise if I was really not feeling it! I'd regularly have whole days off from revision as well, it helped me refresh.

Edit: my subjects were biology, maths, further maths and geography!

What did you get in maths if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 13
Sometimes I would manage 25 hours a day, other days only 24.

Joking aside, I got straight A's at AS and used to do at least 2 hours a day after school and around 8 hours over the weekend. Close to exam period, I would manage 4 hours after school and 12 hours over the weekend.

But it really is subjective; it may take one person 1 hour to understand the material and another person 3 hours.
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
What did you get in maths if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind at all, will put it under the spoiler though :redface:

Spoiler

If there was a day when I was doing past papers for maths I'd definitely be doing closer to the five hours total. They took up quite a bit of my time, being 1.5 hours each.
I don't mind at all, will put it under the spoiler though :redface:

Spoiler

If there was a day when I was doing past papers for maths I'd definitely be doing closer to the five hours total. They took up quite a bit of my time, being 1.5 hours each.

Oh wow! Averaging 90% is pretty cool.. I was hoping to get somewhere close to that, though realistically not that high lol. But now it's either getting too hard or I'm just getting lazy. I wanted to do it as a single or joint too but zzzz...
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Oh wow! Averaging 90% is pretty cool.. I was hoping to get somewhere close to that, though realistically not that high lol. But now it's either getting too hard or I'm just getting lazy. I wanted to do it as a single or joint too but zzzz...

Fortunately with Edexcel you only need to get an average of 90% across C3 and C4, not the whole A2 - not sure about other boards though! When I started C3, I really found it very hard. I hated how much trig there was :colondollar: I'd just advise you to do as much of the stuff from the book as you can, it does provide quite a lot of different question types. I personally liked to try and get a good understanding of the theory behind the topics before I started past papers, it helps with seeing ways round the more sneaky questions. None of them are "trick questions", but having thorough knowledge of the stuff on the syllabus can help you pick out that one useful detail that might be slightly obscured by the design of the question :smile:
Fortunately with Edexcel you only need to get an average of 90% across C3 and C4, not the whole A2 - not sure about other boards though! When I started C3, I really found it very hard. I hated how much trig there was :colondollar: I'd just advise you to do as much of the stuff from the book as you can, it does provide quite a lot of different question types. I personally liked to try and get a good understanding of the theory behind the topics before I started past papers, it helps with seeing ways round the more sneaky questions. None of them are "trick questions", but having thorough knowledge of the stuff on the syllabus can help you pick out that one useful detail that might be slightly obscured by the design of the question :smile:

90% across C3 and C4 is still very impressive - that's no easy task lol. I'm doing it with AQA and they're a bit special in the sense that they like to make the different boundaries as hard as they can to achieve. Trig is exactly what I hate too, especially the identities. I can't seem to get my head around it and when I do realise how it works I feel like :facepalm: because it was simpler than it looked lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending