The Student Room Group

I read but it doesn't sink in

Basically what the title says... I have ****! loads of reading to do on my course and I've never liked reading and I just can not take in what I'm reading. Even if I'm concentrating and in a quiet space. Anyone have this problem? Anyone got any tips?! God, I shouldn't of had that gap year!
Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bethanychoo
Basically what the title says... I have s#%! loads of reading to do on my course and I've never liked reading and I just can not take in what I'm reading. Even if I'm concentrating and in a quiet space. Anyone have this problem? Anyone got any tips?! God, I shouldn't of had that gap year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read small chunks at a time and try to memorise key points (a couple of sentences) and repeat it until you've got the whole chapter covered. Then read over the chapter in full again but try to see if you can recall important bits from each page.

Works for me :P
Take brief notes on the important points as you go.
Reply 3
Basically what the title says... I have s#%! loads of reading to do on my course and I've never liked reading and I just can not take in what I'm reading. Even if I'm concentrating and in a quiet space. Anyone have this problem? Anyone got any tips?! God, I shouldn't of had that gap year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

take notes
Reply 4
taking notes doesn't help when in a stressful environment, especially when in exams when you don't have an extra few minutes to write a few notes. Is there any advice for what you can do in exams when you have this problem?
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

As sad as it sounds, I quite often stand in my room and pretend I'm giving a lecture on the topic and try to explain it to an imaginary audience.

If you can't explain it without hesitation or confusion, then you don't understand it, so go back and re-read it until you do.
Reply 6
Original post by Jessticcles
taking notes doesn't help when in a stressful environment, especially when in exams when you don't have an extra few minutes to write a few notes. Is there any advice for what you can do in exams when you have this problem?

How much do you have to read in exams?
performance enhancers
Reply 8
Original post by cole-slaw
How much do you have to read in exams?

Too much! Passages in biology exams are often half a page to a page long. Also the biological essay we have to write in unit 5 a level exam I wont have time to read over.
Also in chemistry where I'll read one transition metal ion and then write down a reaction of a completely different one.
Or in physics when I do a calculation and read one number off of my calculator and write a completely different one on paper.

I think its all because i'm rushed and pressured and stressed, but I anyone has a method around this problem that works, I would be very grateful.
The way you learn is not by reading information; you learn by retrieving it and producing it. This builds neural pathways (memories). The more you retrieve the memory, the more you will remember it. Here are some ideas;

1. Make some flashcards by writing key points from the pages you need to learn and ask a friend/relative to test you on what's on them, e.g. "Topic" is the question, "Bacteria etc." is the answer, or have a key phrase written on the front and the explanation on the back; the friend holds up the card so you can see the front and they can see the back, thus testing your memory

2. Visualise an image that is tailored to the thing you need to remember, e.g. a painting of a certain chemical reaction that you have made in your mind. Whenever you look back at that memory, you'll remember the reaction.

3. Talk through the material with a friend; talking helps evoke memories that you may have forgotten, and you will have digested the information and remembered without realising you've done it! Therefore, talking about it and teaching it to a friend can help you remember it also

SP
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I used to read non-fiction history and political books and I always immediately forget what I just read the second after finishing a chapter.
You should start making notes it helps retain information, If that's your problem.
Highlight the important bits. That always gets it done :smile:
Basically what the title says... I have ****! loads of reading to do on my course and I've never liked reading and I just can not take in what I'm reading. Even if I'm concentrating and in a quiet space. Anyone have this problem? Anyone got any tips?! God, I shouldn't of had that gap year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take notes while you read I find it helps me remember stuff
Reply 13
Original post by StrictlyPlatonic
The way you learn is not by reading information; you learn by retrieving it and producing it. This builds neural pathways (memories). The more you retrieve the memory, the more you will remember it. Here are some ideas;

1. Make some flashcards by writing key points from the pages you need to learn and ask a friend/relative to test you on what's on them, e.g. "Topic" is the question, "Bacteria etc." is the answer, or have a key phrase written on the front and the explanation on the back; the friend holds up the card so you can see the front and they can see the back, thus testing your memory

2. Visualise an image that is tailored to the thing you need to remember, e.g. a painting of a certain chemical reaction that you have made in your mind. Whenever you look back at that memory, you'll remember the reaction.

3. Talk through the material with a friend; talking helps evoke memories that you may have forgotten, and you will have digested the information and remembered without realising you've done it! Therefore, talking about it and teaching it to a friend can help you remember it also

SP

This is great advice! I have a learning difficulty (dyscalculia). My memory doesn't process information as well as it should so I have developed a few strategies to deal with this such as copying the text, sometimes even word for word, because I've found that reading does nothing for me but writing helps commit what I'm reading to memory. I also make flashcards and when I'm copying up notes, I make arty little boxes around information that is important (such as equations and laws). I take the time to colour these in. It's more than an exercise in aesthetics. There's something about concentrating on an act rather than the information it contains that again, helps commit it to memory. On the same theme, I make colourful graphic art style posters to explain processes and finally, I explain my studies and give lectures to the cats! They know more about the sciences than your average felines!

It does mean that you will need to commit more time to your self-directed studies but it's all a case of priorities, really.

I have quoted the above poster but my response is aimed at the OP. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Tim TIC
This is great advice! I have a learning difficulty (dyscalculia). My memory doesn't process information as well as it should so I have developed a few strategies to deal with this such as copying the text, sometimes even word for word, because I've found that reading does nothing for me but writing helps commit what I'm reading to memory. I also make flashcards and when I'm copying up notes, I make arty little boxes around information that is important (such as equations and laws). I take the time to colour these in. It's more than an exercise in aesthetics. There's something about concentrating on an act rather than the information it contains that again, helps commit it to memory. On the same theme, I make colourful graphic art style posters to explain processes and finally, I explain my studies and give lectures to the cats! They know more about the sciences than your average felines!

It does mean that you will need to commit more time to your self-directed studies but it's all a case of priorities, really.

I have quoted the above poster but my response is aimed at the OP. :smile:

I'm similar to you! :eek:
Original post by cole-slaw
As sad as it sounds, I quite often stand in my room and pretend I'm giving a lecture on the topic and try to explain it to an imaginary audience.

If you can't explain it without hesitation or confusion, then you don't understand it, so go back and re-read it until you do.

Haha I DO THE SAME!!! lol :blush:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending