The Student Room Group

PR and/or Journalism degree

I'm interested in Journalism mostly, but it's a tough field to pursue from what I've read. PR is a good option for someone of Journalistic qualities. So applying for University I'm looking into both.

There are courses that do Journalism and PR together as a degree. This seems great from what I've said but does it kind of put you in the middle when it comes to job opportunities from both fields? Would it be better to pick one and just go Journalism or just go PR. Or go with the mixed options?

Opinions please and also any tips on finding a good answer to this from other sources? I can't really ask the Uni's, because they'll just want me to choose their particular degree I imagine.
Hi there! I know this is from a while back and you've most likely chosen already, but as no one replied to this I thought I'd offer some advice.

Journalism and PR are like two sides of the same coin, with very similar skill sets. I'd recommend doing both for your degree, simply for the fact that you'll have a broader knowledge of both industries and be more informed as to which career you wish to pursue once you graduate. That said, it's pretty common for journalists to go into PR and vice versa.

The key thing is getting work experience, can't stress that enough...

Best of luck with everything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending