The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Update on Application - What does this really mean

Hi guys,

Just got an email update on one of the four course applications I made to LSE. An extract: "I am happy to tell you that your application is strong enough to be considered further by the Admissions Selector"....

Did anyone get this last year? Is it an email that almost everyone will get, or is it a sign of genuine progress.

Cheers

P.S. I'm an Australian undergrad, so no doubt I am extremely uniformed compared most UK students

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by scottface
Hi guys,

Just got an email update on one of the four course applications I made to LSE. An extract: "I am happy to tell you that your application is strong enough to be considered further by the Admissions Selector"....

Did anyone get this last year? Is it an email that almost everyone will get, or is it a sign of genuine progress.

Cheers

P.S. I'm an Australian undergrad, so no doubt I am extremely uniformed compared most UK students

I haven't got this (yet). When did you apply and what subject for?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by scottface
Hi guys,

Cheers

I got got the exact same thing! I think it just means that your application is not bad enough to be rejected before the law tutors even see it. So I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but at least it's the first hurdle down. Good luck!
Reply 3
I applied by September 22 (Deadline for Australian Cambridge Applications)

I got one yesterday for BSc Statistics with Finance, today from BSc Economics

I have a feeling it just means you have hit the minimum academic requirements (A*AA for example).

This next stage is where we get ranked competitively and compared to the other applicants :/.
Reply 4
Did it say how long they'd take to get back to you?
Original post by CD315
Did it say how long they'd take to get back to you?

Up to five weeks
Reply 6
Original post by Nerdgirl1996
Up to five weeks

Does this mean we'll be getting offers/rejections within five weeks this year? :lol: I'm a gap year applicant - it took until March for them to reject me last year (for maths with economics).
Reply 7
Yeh they said up to five weeks.

Take note thought that the last stage which was expected to take two weeks for me only took two days.

Basically I'm expecting me and many other are going to be nervous wrecks for the next few weeks, checking emails constantly.
Reply 8
Hey, I applied for BSc economics and got the same email and they said they'll get back to me in 5 weeks. Im confident that in 5 weeks they will send me an email saying that they'll judge me after they have all the applications and won't give me a decision before mid March.

LSE are known for sending offers really really late, they like keeping you hanging in that sense!
Reply 9
Not if they really want you. I got the same email within 48 hours of sending off my application on 30th September and my offer came in today (Law).

If they want you, you will hear sooner rather than later! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Chab-Chab
Not if they really want you. I got the same email within 48 hours of sending off my application on 30th September and my offer came in today (Law).

If they want you, you will hear sooner rather than later! :smile:

Cong!!!You received offer today!! Unbelievable.......
Previously I wrote to thank you for applying to LSE, and am now writing to update you on the status of your application.

I am currently reviewing your academic qualifications to ensure that you have met all entry requirements. I am also assessing your personal statement.

I anticipate that this process should take approximately two weeks. I will be in touch then to update you on the status of your application.

I just got that ^ and I sent off my application on the 9th... I see a rejection coming though because my personal statement was absolutely horrendous.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Cephalosporin
Previously I wrote to thank you for applying to LSE, and am now writing to update you on the status of your application.

I am currently reviewing your academic qualifications to ensure that you have met all entry requirements. I am also assessing your personal statement.

I anticipate that this process should take approximately two weeks. I will be in touch then to update you on the status of your application.

I just got that ^ and I sent off my application on the 9th... I see a rejection coming though because my personal statement was absolutely horrendous.

You received decision from lse?
Reply 13
Anyone think that, in 2 weeks, they'll email saying something along the lines of 'We have assessed your application and, due to a high number of applications, will respond with a decision over the course of the next months'? :lol:
Reply 14
Original post by SPark9625
I thought that the next step is when they'll say that your application is strong enough to be further considered [...]. No?

Following is what I think
1st letter: Thank you for applying. We'll get back in touch in about 2 weeks.
2nd letter: I am happy to tell your that your application is strong enough to be further considered. This will take about 5 weeks
3rd letter: offer/rejection

That's pretty much what happened, except without the intervening second letter. I got an acknowledgement email, then the email saying I'll hear in two weeks, then the email today with my offer. (in exactly two weeks!) :smile: Have some faith in them!
Original post by Cephalosporin

I got that exact email! (I applied on the 1st)
Reply 16
How long did it take for you guys to get the first email?
Reply 17
oh i thought you got your offer after 2 days, from another thread. Was it 2 weeks?
Well i guess i'd have to wait til this thursday to get my second letter. I'm patient :biggrin:

To be honest, I had a massive panic attack last week. I almost thought of cancelling my entire uni applications, but now I think I reached the state of nirvana :smile: LSE is sort of my insurance anyways, so doesn't matter.

I got the acknowledgement in two days along with the email saying I'll hear in two weeks (and I did!) Best. Day. Ever!

LSE's your insurance? :eek: What's your first choice? (Oxbridge?)
Reply 18
Oxford is my first choice, but my IB isn't nearly as fancy as yours. I first was like "6 HL?? NONONONOWAY", then saw two extra subjects and like :eek:. I heard Drama HL is actually quite hard. How did you manage to secure a 7 in it ?!?

My subjects aren't very fancy. Other than Maths HL, I'm not doing any hardcore Science HLs, so my workload is quite manageable most of the time. :colondollar:

Thank you! Someone finally acknowledges how hard Theatre HL is! Honestly, I've spent more time writing and researching and practising for that course than any of my academic subjects. I have a really amazing teacher which is why my score in Theatre HL is so high. But even then, when we started the IB, there were 14 Theatre students, almost halfway through my second year of IB, 14 has dwindled down to 4. Everybody thought it would be an easy course but when the IAs and 2,000-word writing assignments started piling up, students dropped like flies.
Reply 19
I sent my application off almost 2 weeks ago. Not heard anything for actuarial science. What does that mean? I have a mixture of A levels and AP's which may cause an issue...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending