The Student Room Group

UCAS application - pester the school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SamEastie
Yes, I suppose so. I hadn't thought of it before, but it made sense when my teacher said it.
I don't think anyone is at an advantage really, they'll look at everyone in the same way.

that's what I decided to believe too! :smile:
Original post by LolaLowe
I had heard this before about places like Durham not wanting to think they were second choice to Oxbridge, but when we went to Durham Open day three separate admissions tutors laughed it off as nonsense, an urban myth, when asked about it by us or someone in our group. At Warwick two tutors also laughed it off. I suppose when you think about it they know that to be thinking of applying to Oxbridge students must be of a high calibre, and given how few in terms of percentage of applicants get in, they would be pleased to have quality candidates apply. (Not implying that all quality candidates apply to Oxbridge by the way). One tutor at Warwick went as far as to say if any application received before 15/10 WAS assumed to be an Oxbridge candidate then wouldn't that make them worth more of a second look than less. I guess he was just making a point but its an interesting thought.

And I work in another University in the same situation - sure very many of our applicants will have Oxbridge on their UCAS, sure we can deduce that by the timing of their applications. We don't give a fig, everyone is presumed to want to come to us and is made an offer (or not) based on the strength of their application to us. We don't make any attempt at all to second guess who else might be looking at them or what the applicants' motives are.
Reply 22
Original post by threeportdrift
And I work in another University in the same situation - sure very many of our applicants will have Oxbridge on their UCAS, sure we can deduce that by the timing of their applications. We don't give a fig, everyone is presumed to want to come to us and is made an offer (or not) based on the strength of their application to us. We don't make any attempt at all to second guess who else might be looking at them or what the applicants' motives are.

That's wonderful! thanks for sharing this x
Original post by LolaLowe
an urban myth

Sins of their fathers.

This all derives from a policy Durham had 30 years ago (in the days when all universities could see which other applications had been made and Oxbridge made EE offers) that it would not consider Oxbridge applicants until after Oxbridge admissions were complete.
Original post by goodmummy
Many thanks to all of you - you all make a lot of sense and I know that we are just being a bit impatient. Will relax now - at least this end of it is done - and wait for the natural course of things.

Not that I want to stir things up for you, but have you heard yet?
Reply 25
Original post by Collosopede
Not that I want to stir things up for you, but have you heard yet?

Form went off last Friday so now it's the nail biting bit waiting for the offers! Did end up phoning the school and talking to the person who deals with it all, might be a coincidence but it seemed to prompt them into actually sending it. Thanks for asking :smile:
Original post by goodmummy
Form went off last Friday so now it's the nail biting bit waiting for the offers! Did end up phoning the school and talking to the person who deals with it all, might be a coincidence but it seemed to prompt them into actually sending it. Thanks for asking :smile:

Well done. We're waiting too. One interview date so far.
Reply 27
Can u still login to apply then once you have sent application to school for reference as I'm waiting on teachers attaching reference to send it off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending